Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Game Completion Challenge

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    I've been on fire, finishing quite a few games. Being unemployed helps. But I'm back to work today. This is my first hat trick. I finally beat Ranger-X after years of giving up on the 2nd cave stage.

Figured out that shooting those holes in the ceiling and standing in the light recharges your special. And that the health regenerator only works when you have special energy. Had to be real slow and precise taking shit out methodically, one at a time. Then going back to recover. The later stages seemed easier. Level 3 was gravy train.

Not giving me credit for Snow White on GBC? I kinda mashed it in there with my Illusion of Gaia post.
    Ah, missed that one. I'll get your Snow White up! Congrats on the new job, too. Hope it doesn't suck too bad! Ranger X put you back in the lead. Glad you got over the hump on that one. I dig it a lot.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 03-01-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I have a 3DS that has gotten very little playtime and I've been looking for a reason to pick it back up. Any recommendations for it that would meet the female protagonist requirement?

I've been on a Castlevania binge lately and just finished Order of Ecclesia last week. If only I'd been a bit luckier with my timing...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^There's Code of Princess which I didn't like that much. Those Senran Kagura things if you're into that. There was a really short and easy rpg type eshop game that I forget the name of. Fairzune?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Thanks, I found it with a Google search: Fairune. Looks, eh, not bad for a $3 game. Might give this one a run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I liked Code of Princess myself... it's a pretty direct follow-up to Guardian Heroes. You could play Super Princess Peach from the original DS on there or something as well. I'm afraid pretty much everything else I have on there features dudes for 3DS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default March RPG

The Heaven and Earth games got a pretty good response last month, so on to another challenge.

For March:

Pick one of the following Vanillaware games:

Princess Crown
    Odin Sphere
    Muramasa
    Grim Grimoire
    Dragon's Crown

Big Dragon's Crown fan myself. I need to dust that one off.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damnit. I love Vanillaware's art, music, and overall aesthetics but the games underneath are seriously wack. Owned 3 out of the 5 at various points in time.

Got Odin Sphere after a mag gave it stupid high praise towards the end of PS2s life. Tried several times to dig in to the gameplay only to find out I'm playing some gardener simulator planting seeds around battlefields and hacking away at enemies to make them grow. Only to harvest items that are better off being combined with other items so I can cook them and make more potent level up items and such. What? Ain't this supposed to be an action-rpg? Tiny repetitive stages that loop around yet are interconnected with a map designed by amateurs.

Had Muramasa on Vita. Same deal. The level layout and maps are garbage. It's like they made a few screens of gorgeous artwork and ran it through some random level generator. The combat didn't flow with me either.

Don't remember much about Dragon's Crown except that it was good fun on a night with an ex and some of her fam . They were dying at the graphics. The amazon lady and the animations especially. And the intro cinema with the witch girl having her boobs ooze out of her blouse. Had to get rid of it because I needed the dough and was one of those rock-bottom points my life has on repeat.

Tried Princess Crown on ppsspp. Rapid firing through endless dialog boxes filled with foreign text ended that isos lifespan quick.

Grim Grimoire is like some rts game. Never bothered. What makes these rpgs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Damnit. I love Vanillaware's art, music, and overall aesthetics but the games underneath are seriously wack. Owned 3 out of the 5 at various points in time.

Got Odin Sphere after a mag gave it stupid high praise towards the end of PS2s life. Tried several times to dig in to the gameplay only to find out I'm playing some gardener simulator planting seeds around battlefields and hacking away at enemies to make them grow. Only to harvest items that are better off being combined with other items so I can cook them and make more potent level up items and such. What? Ain't this supposed to be an action-rpg? Tiny repetitive stages that loop around yet are interconnected with a map designed by amateurs.

Had Muramasa on Vita. Same deal. The level layout and maps are garbage. It's like they made a few screens of gorgeous artwork and ran it through some random level generator. The combat didn't flow with me either.

Don't remember much about Dragon's Crown except that it was good fun on a night with an ex and some of her fam . They were dying at the graphics. The amazon lady and the animations especially. And the intro cinema with the witch girl having her boobs ooze out of her blouse. Had to get rid of it because I needed the dough and was one of those rock-bottom points my life has on repeat.

Tried Princess Crown on ppsspp. Rapid firing through endless dialog boxes filled with foreign text ended that isos lifespan quick.

Grim Grimoire is like some rts game. Never bothered. What makes these rpgs?
    They're action and strategy RPGs. You have character stats to improve, inventories to manage, a focus on story, and they're frankly too long to put in as regular games for the week. Dragon's Crown is by far my favorite of the bunch, but I figure there are likely at least a few folks trying the new remake of Odin Sphere that really supposedly improves the game. Next month we're going traditional JRPG, but I'm trying to keep a variety of styles so it's not just variations on the same game every month and offers a chance to try something new.

I should clarify that on Dragon's Crown, you just need to complete the main story and get the credits, not take on the massive grind toward the huge endgame dungeon.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I started Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii). I am presently at act 3 of Momohime's story. Do we have to complete both character's story or just one?

Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    I started Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii). I am presently at act 3 of Momohime's story. Do we have to complete both character's story or just one?

Both.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I started playing Code of Princess last night. Got through about 4 quests. The fighting doesn't feel tight but I'll admit I jumped in without reading the manual so there was some button mashing involved.

The cut scenes and dialog/voice acting are a hoot. "Ma'am, it's illegal to be a zombie." Also, jiggle physics.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Completed week 9 Player's Choice - Syd of Valis

I blew through Syd of Valis for the first time in at least a decade and a half. I should really play it more, because it takes me back to my teen years, and it's an absolute favorite of mine that pretty much no one but the most die hard Valis fan would appreciate. It's a real odd duck, and I understand why most would dismiss it outright. It's a little too cutesy and simplistic for the hard core, but the boss encounters, floaty spastic controls, and wonky platforming make it too difficult for younger gamers, so I don't really know who this game was localized for.

I doubt the pool of forth gen, western kawaii loving Otaku and girl gamers were enough to sell many units of this title. I'm just glad someone decided to bring it over anyway, even if they gave it an extremely bizarre title. I'm also glad that I still have my copy, along with all the other Valis titles, considering how stupid the pricing for them has gotten, which I didn't learn until last year.

Sadly, I didn't manage to finish Illusion of Gaia. Stupidly, I didn't realize I even owned the game, only discovering it the middle of the month -- the shortest month of the year, mind you. I'm glad I managed to start it though. I only got like 2 or 3 of the statues, but it was pleasant enough experience. The only real gripes I had with the game is the way that I'm constantly cancelling dialog boxes accidentally. That and the goofy way that the game hangs on the Dark Realm screen if you chose not to continue playing after a save.

Fortunately I have several of the Vanilla Ware selections to play for March, but I've never played a single one of them, so it's all new to me. I'll get started early and try to get at lease one RPG under my belt, but with the way my time is limited I don't know if I'll ever really be able to finish one. I'm just glad this challenge has me gaming again. I guess I'll give Muramasa: The Demon Blade a shot, since it's already unsealed and I don't think I've ever played a Wii game besides Mario Kart Wii, Saint, and Wii Sports. I'm not even kidding.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 03-02-2017 at 05:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I'm glad you're having fun playing. When I started doing GOTD last year, playing each game again really brought back into focus how much I enjoy playing games and not just having them even more than ever, plus I got to talk about games that I'dve never gotten to otherwise.

Valis rules. I think Valis III is still my favorite, but it's just good stuff all around in my book.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Arrow Post #2100 - yay for round numbers!

Yeah, I've always been a fan of the Valis series. The game play is pretty standard fair through out the serie; it's mainly the story, character designs and especially the music that I really love. I think it's mostly because I was introduced to the series on the Turbo Grafx CD at a time when Anime was pretty much my world, and I'd never played video games with CD audio, voiced dialog, and cinema cut scenes before. The shit quite literally changed my life. While the third is probably the best of the three, my favorite will probably always be part II. I really dig Megas (obviously). He's a pretty tragic character with a grim backstory. In the end you feel sympathetic to him.

Anyway, I stated Muramasa: The Demon Blade, and holy cow, this game is AWESOME so far. It's just SO GORGEOUS! There's just so much Japanese mythology, in all it's weirdness. Kappas, Aobozu, Kasa-Obake, I love this sort of shit! I'll definitely be completing this one, whether I finish it before the month is out or not.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 03-03-2017 at 12:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 10

Well, a little time left in week 9, which has so far been utterly dominated by FieryReign. Somebody else needs to take a run at Ranger X. That game is friggin' good. Anyhow, the games for week 10!

-Vice: Project Doom (NES)

-Burning Force (Arcade, Genesis)

-Player's Choice: pick any game in which the player can use a baseball bat as a weapon. Examples might include Double Dragon, the Punisher, Monster Party, Earthbound, etc.

-RPG of the month is the Vanillaware catalog, basically. Eligible games are Princess Crown, Odin Sphere, Muramasa, Dragon's Crown, and Grim Grimoire.

A couple of folks have given a start at Muramasa already, and god willing somebody'll take a shot at Burning Force. If you like anime and Space Harrier, you're shitty if you don't play it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Burning Force only has easy and hard modes. Default is easy. Is there a way to get past the day 4-1 boss without blowing through 3 lives and taking unavoidable hits?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Burning Force only has easy and hard modes. Default is easy. Is there a way to get past the day 4-1 boss without blowing through 3 lives and taking unavoidable hits?
    Yeah, but it's slow, just slipping over and firing a shot or two, then mostly rotating around the perimeter of the screen until next opening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Urgh, I don't think I own Burning Force.

Is Burning Force on any compilation I might not know about? I don't have it on Genesis. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Is Burning Force on any compilation I might not know about? I don't have it on Genesis. :/
    I wish. The arcade game is killer, but not on any Namco collections. The Genesis version kills the port of Galaxy Force and Space Harrier II. That sucks... this one is right up your alley.

Edit: it is apparently on Virtual Console if you swing that way.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 03-04-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see one tiny crack between the wall of mines he tosses and if you try and creep thru they kinda home in and close the gap. Also, what is the missile weapon "M" supposed to do? It's useless and does no damage to anything.