Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Game Completion Challenge

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^It might be a phone/tablet problem because that's what I use. Not possible to drag and drop. Had to reupload a few times. And the mobile version doesn't even allow attachments.

I used to hate Fantasy Zone and didn't understand the hype. Until I sat down with the 3ds versions. Learned what the best weapons and upgrades are to cruise through the generators and got the patterns of bosses down. Became addicted and now one of my fav shmup series. Probably the only shooter games I can 1cc.

This exclusive Genny version is extremely colorful and vivid. It could easily pass for a SNES game.
    Last edited by FieryReign; 01-07-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'm busy playing a few games so not participating at this time, but what if two categories fall under the same thing. Like if someone was to complete Super Hydlide or Super Mario RPG for instance, would they get a point for playing a game with Super in it and the RPG points?
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I'm busy playing a few games so not participating at this time, but what if two categories fall under the same thing. Like if someone was to complete Super Hydlide or Super Mario RPG for instance, would they get a point for playing a game with Super in it and the RPG points?
    Well, the stipulation for player's choice will change every week, so I'll be trying to keep the two mutually exclusive. If I screw it up and leave that possibility open, then sure, shame on me. The RPG points must meet that month's challenge, though. For example, this month has to be part of the Ogre series. So, while you could claim Super Mario RPG as the game with "super" in its title, it doesn't meet the RPG criteria for the month, so it would only be worth a single point.

I'm gonna try and keep enough variety so that people can drop in and out in accordance with what they feel like playing and still remain competitive.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't gotten around to starting Ogre Battle, but I did play through solo in Super Smash Bros on Wii U.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 2

All week one scores are recorded in my handy dandy notebook. On to week 2!

-Space Invaders Extreme (DS, PSP, Download services)

-Story/arcade mode in any version of Puyo Puyo, including the Nazo Puyo games, Kirby's Avalanche, and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

-Player's Choice: any game that has Ryu from Street Fighter in it.

-Three more weeks for an Ogre-series game for RPG points. Have you liberated a town today?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Exclamation All week one scores are recorded in my handy dandy notebook.

I get a big fat zero for the first week.

I waited till the very last minute to play my super game (Super Stardust HD) only to discover my Dual Shock 3 was dead. I didn't find another one until after midnight. I got screwed on BOTH games because of controller issues. If I were smarter and not a procrastinator I would have just ran through any number of the multiple versions of Super Street Fighter II I own just for a cheap point, but I'd had a really stressful week and didn't have much focus. Which is exactly why I SHOULD be playing more games.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    For example, this month has to be part of the Ogre series. So, while you could claim Super Mario RPG as the game with "super" in its title, it doesn't meet the RPG criteria for the month, so it would only be worth a single point.
    I was too busy thinking of how to cheat the system and forgot that you already chose a series.

Even though Tactics Ogre is one of my favorite games, I'm already playing Persona Q, Witcher 3, and Yakuza 5(wanting to finish and plat this one before Yakuza 0 comes out later this month.)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Had a quick run through the PC Engine version of Street Fighter 2 using a few continues. It reminded me how much I suck at one on one fighters and how the computer is a cheating bastard in these type games.

I'll check out the Space Invaders game for DS. Can't do the Puyo game, I get bored with puzzle games within 2 minutes time. Just don't like em.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Nice! That version of SFII is way better than it had any right to be. I still like Turbo on SNES best for 16 bit Street Fighter best, but Capcom really made 'em all pretty solid.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice! That version of SFII is way better than it had any right to be. I still like Turbo on SNES best for 16 bit Street Fighter best, but Capcom really made 'em all pretty solid.
    Yeah, figured I'd play this port since I never really tried it. Seems like the floor is missing some of the scrolling effects. The music is "Turbo-ized" but the voices sound way better than the Genny port and possibly the snes game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Pocket Fighter (Saturn import)

I hadn't played Pocket Fighter in probably 15 years. I almost forgot how charming this game was. Fortunately, beating the solo game is still cake.

Sadly all my teenage friends who used to like this game are long since gone, and I doubt I'll ever meet any locals who would care about this classic retro fighter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I hadn't played Pocket Fighter in probably 15 years. I almost forgot how charming this game was. Fortunately, beating the solo game is still cake.

Sadly all my teenage friends who used to like this game are long since gone, and I doubt I'll ever meet any locals who would care about this classic retro fighter.
    I was actually hoping someone would play Pocket Fighter or Puzzle Fighter. Nobody seems to remember Pocket Fighter these days, but it's fun as hell, and excellent for some versus play.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Aw damn i thought i had space invaders extreme but it was #2 and not the first one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Puyo Pop Fever (Gamecube)

After spending an aggravating hour trying to figure out why I didn't have any sound, and fighting with a tangle of a hundred wires, I dusted off the Wii and completed two of the three single player modes in Puyo Pop Fever. I haven't played this game since the year it released. I forgot that it had annoying 3D combo animations that I used to turn off in the options menu. Something I rectified in my second play through.

I have the DS verion of Space Invaders Extreme. I thought that I also had the PSP version as well. I know I physically picked it up and held it in Walmart or Kmart some years ago. I must have passed on it figuring it was more or less the same game on a different platform. I suppose this challenge is as good a reason as any to finally unseal it. It's not a rare or expensive game after all.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Managed to 1CC Street Fighter II: The World Warrior with Ken on the PSP version of Capcom Classics Collection. This one is just a straight port of the PSOne Street Fighter Collection with no changes at all. It still has the load screens but they're at a minimum since I have the game copied to a memory stick. I usually hate playing PSP fighters but WW's slow speed coupled with very lenient special inputs make this port a bit more playable (to me) than straight CPS emulation.

I'm not used to playing as Ken that much, but using him is a perfect way to see how much changed from WW to CE/HF. His hurricaine kick redizzies almost every single time so if you hit it once on an opponent the round is pretty much over. As an example of small changes being huge just try to use Ken on the car bashing bonus stage in WW. His close f+HK axe kick move still hits twice, but nowhere in the same points engrained in your mind, so you can't just spam f+HK to destroy the car.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Nice to see a few games knocked out this week! Anybody try Space Invaders Extreme yet?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice to see a few games knocked out this week! Anybody try Space Invaders Extreme yet?
    I'm working on the Psp version. Made it to the 4th level. How many levels are there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    I'm working on the Psp version. Made it to the 4th level. How many levels are there?
    I've only done the DS version, though I have done at length. There are 5 stages in that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'll try it out today. I figured there were like a few hundred stages or something. Seems like it would be that sort of game. If it's not insanely long then I'll have a crack at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I'll try it out today. I figured there were like a few hundred stages or something. Seems like it would be that sort of game. If it's not insanely long then I'll have a crack at it.
    Oh, no, no... I figure most people here are adults with a lot of responsibilities, so the weekly games are and will be intentionally brief. I don't plan on choosing games that would take longer than a couple of hours tops for a playthrough, most around half an hour for a single play. Any longer games will either be the monthly RPG or player's choice.