Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Game Completion Challenge

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Anyone considering Vanark? Star Fox fans who are in it for the combat more than the anthropomorphic critters will find some good stuff there...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure how many games I will complete this week as I want to work on some personal projects of mine, which severely cuts into my game time. That being said I saw an opportunity for a quick point in this weeks players choice.

Prior to joining the game completion challenge I had been working on learning the crash: warped speedrun. Which lo and behold fits this weeks players choice perfectly. To make things even better I managed to get a pb time while playing through the game today (Not particularly hard considering I've only done 20 something runs).

So what do I think of Crash: Warped? Well I'm sure you could guess I love the game considering I decided to play through it over 20 times... However looking at it from a quality perspective; the game has several faults. The most glaring of which is the poor depiction of depth. It is very easy to accidentally walk off the front of the map because it looks like it should extend further. Additionally all of the medieval stages allow the player to run along the side walls and literally avoid every enemy and platforming jump; this is a great thing from a speed running perspective but not so much when it comes to quality game design. Additionally the game has some terrible controls in the flying stages.

Regardless it was definitely nice to do another run after a slight break from speedrunning.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crashwarped.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	10224

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Crash is a franchise I never really got into, save playing Crash Team Racing with my sister, who got really into that one with her oldest son. I was working at a FuncoLand during its apex, but 3D platformers at the time were feeling a little ubuquitous to me, with Croc 2, Gex 3, Spyro, Rayman 2, etc. coming out at the time. Aside from Mario 64, I never really got heavily into 3D platforming... not even Mario's own sequels. I'm a 2D guy at heart.

Glad you have one of those comfort food games to turn to that always stay fun to you, though! It's good to have that group of special games that are always fun for you, and that you dig into enough to play them unconventionally for fun. Good stuff!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Think I'm gonna bow out. I lose interest in anything fast nowadays. Can't even muster up enough passion to finish a quick-point game.

Maybe videogames don't really interest me anymore and I'm trying to force myself to like them as a normal hobby? It's already happened with a couple other hobbies of mine.

Maybe I need to seek out other hobbies but I'm gettin too old for that shit. Maybe crocheting is my new stitch. What's the best yarn to use?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Anyone considering Vanark? Star Fox fans who are in it for the combat more than the anthropomorphic critters will find some good stuff there...
    I plan on giving it a go. It's yet another game I bought years ago but never got around to playing (you seem to keep choosing games that fall into this category).

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For player's choice, I beat Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu (NES). It is a surprisingly good game. It has good graphics, excellent music, and fun platforming. Licensed dreck this is not.

Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Hey, a week where I actually have the time to participate! For the Player's Choice, I beat the indie puzzle platformer Thomas Was Alone (on Vita), in which Thomas is literally a red rectangle, haha. I had been meaning to start the game anyway, and I knew it was on the short side, so it worked out perfectly. I would have snapped a photo of the ending, but it was over in the blink of an eye. Like, I was wondering if I somehow pressed a button and skipped it, but it seriously is over that fast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Hey, a week where I actually have the time to participate! For the Player's Choice, I beat the indie puzzle platformer Thomas Was Alone (on Vita), in which Thomas is literally a red rectangle, haha. I had been meaning to start the game anyway, and I knew it was on the short side, so it worked out perfectly. I would have snapped a photo of the ending, but it was over in the blink of an eye. Like, I was wondering if I somehow pressed a button and skipped it, but it seriously is over that fast.
    Hey, welcome to the scoreboard! I've not paid a ton of mind to most of the indie platformer scene, but after I recently finally played through Limbo and liking it a lot, I'm a bit more intrigued, at least by the physical releases. I need to take the Vita plunge... maybe this summer. I keep drifting toward arcade pcbs with my fun money, and haven't bought a new console in years. Maybe I'll do a Wii U as well. Captain Toad looks fun, and reminds me a bit of Hudson's excellent Cubic Lode Runner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scissors View Post
    I plan on giving it a go. It's yet another game I bought years ago but never got around to playing (you seem to keep choosing games that fall into this category).
    Heheh, I'm glad we're cutting into your backlog. It's fun to finally pull out a new old game and put it through its paces. One of the biggest reasons I started getting into making an effort to play my older games was around 2000 or so when I re-discovered shooters after playing Giga Wing. I hadn't paid much mind to shooters in ages then, as they were once a dime a dozen. When 3D games really took over, it made me re-evaluate my appreciation for a style of game I'd been ignoring for quite awhile, and I started to explore my collection harder. I found stuff I'dve never really given the time of day... light gun games that I didn't realize were gun games, weird modes like the tennis RPG in World Court Tennis... it made me want to really play my stuff to see what I really had beyond the cursory knowledge from testing a game or reading about it.

FieryReign-sorry you're getting bored, but I get it. I appreciate your playing and participating, and your points'll still be here if the mood arises again. Hope you find something fun to do in the meantime!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^Not getting bored with the challenge. Just think games ain't fun anymore for some reason. Nothing is. Maybe I'm finally outgrowing them or am burnt out. Started playing through Axiom Verge and just lost interest. And those metroid-types are my favorites.

I have stacks of kung fu flicks just collecting dust. No interest anymore. It's weird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    ^Not getting bored with the challenge. Just think games ain't fun anymore for some reason. Nothing is. Maybe I'm finally outgrowing them or am burnt out. Started playing through Axiom Verge and just lost interest. And those metroid-types are my favorites.

I have stacks of kung fu flicks just collecting dust. No interest anymore. It's weird
    Well, I hope you're able to find something that catches your attention. It's a tough go without a hobby. Ever consider something handy? Every now and then I'll go and find a piece of antique furniture at a thrift and restore it, and it's pretty satisfying. There's a curio cabinet in my living room my wife uses for her Willow Angels the I picked up at a Goodwill for $15 and restored over a couple of weekends, filling and mending cracks, sanding down old finish, and then re-staining, coating, and scraping/polishing glass. Re-upholstered an re-finished a full antique dining set for me dining room, which I wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise.

Anyhow, good luck, and I hope you'll still pop in from time to time, even if it's just to talk some shit in the Off Topic forum.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Week 12 Player's Choice completed - Alex Kidd in Miracle World

This used to be one of my favorite games when the Master System was current. I can't tell you how many times I've played through this game back in the day. Sadly, it's really a title that shows its age.

It's charming, but it's just so simplistic. There's just the illusion of depth, what with the vehicles and shop items, many of which are worthless, or pointless. When I was younger, I enjoyed memorizing the rock paper scissors patterns, navigating Janken's castle, and solving the floor tile riddle, but once it's first nature there's little there to keep you interested.

Playing through it actually made me more sad than anything. Granted, I've been pretty depressed the last few days because of some personal matters, so maybe that's colouring my experience. In any event, it's another point on the scoreboard. I very much doubt I'll have the time to complete another title this week and only picked Alex Kidd in Miracle World so the week wouldn't be a complete wash.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just beat Psycho Dream, and I swear that there is something wrong with the collision detection. It made the last boss particularly frustrating.

Fun fact: Shortly before Telenet's demise, the Valis franchise was licensed to Eants to make Valis X; an eroge visual novel. With tentacles!
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Chiki Chiki Boys (GEN) completed

Name:	ccb1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	10225

Name:	ccb2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	10226

Fun game, more challenging than I expected. I didn't get the good ending but hopefully it still counts. The enemy and level designs would've been right at home in an Adventure Island or Bonk game. The third-swing-is-bigger gameplay allows some fun timing strategies with the bosses. And I think Nintendo borrowed the coin-head idea for some of the recent Mario 3DS games. Also, Capcom pinwheel!

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    I just beat Psycho Dream, and I swear that there is something wrong with the collision detection. It made the last boss particularly frustrating.

Fun fact: Shortly before Telenet's demise, the Valis franchise was licensed to Eants to make Valis X; an eroge visual novel. With tentacles!
    Agreed. I hated the last boss fight even on Easy mode and never did end up playing through again on normal mode.

And watch how easy (but still tedious) this longplay video makes it look. The flying head had a completely different attack pattern when I fought him.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Yeah, I have it, and it's structured more like an action adventure game instead of having stages. It has a very strange map in the opening city area, and I usually fumble around in it for awhile before switching games. I need to just nut up and either map it out or use an FAQ sometime when I'm ready to seriously try to take it down.
    Wow, I never knew this. Valis is one of only three Famicom games I own, all sealed in the plastic. I never new that it was an action adventure game rather than a 8-bit port of the first Valis title.

I doubt I'll open my copy, but I might emulate it or secure a loose copy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Wow, I never knew this. Valis is one of only three Famicom games I own, all sealed in the plastic. I never new that it was an action adventure game rather than a 8-bit port of the first Valis title.

I doubt I'll open my copy, but I might emulate it or secure a loose copy.
    Yeah, loose copies are pretty cheap, but it has an English patch nowadays.

Psycho Dream's boss fights are waaay tougher than the stages. There are some pretty great looking levels, though!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Famicom games were never sealed in plastic to begin with. Sometimes resellers in the aftermarket like to wrap them in plastic, though. So, yeah, no need to hesitate in opening them up if they are in plastic. The only way to really tell a brand new Famicom/Super Famicom/Japanese N64 game from a used one (assuming the latter is in mint condition) is if there's a crease along the flap, indicating that it's been opened. But if you're super delicate about how you open a flap, you may even be able to hide signs of that.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played through Vanark. I wasn't crazy about it. The segments between the shooting stages were pretty pointless. It seems like they were just put in to make the game longer.

Also played through Super Mario Land for player's choice.

What is the official deadline for finishing a game? If it's not too late, I may give Chiki Chiki Boys a try tomorrow morning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scissors View Post
    I played through Vanark. I wasn't crazy about it. The segments between the shooting stages were pretty pointless. It seems like they were just put in to make the game longer.

Also played through Super Mario Land for player's choice.

What is the official deadline for finishing a game? If it's not too late, I may give Chiki Chiki Boys a try tomorrow morning.
    Sunday night at midnight is the deadline.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 13

Normally I'dve posted earlier, but I fell asleep way early after working about 75 hours this week and being awake for about 2 days straight, so sorry about that. Anyhow, new games!

-Astal (Saturn)

-Any game in the Lolo franchise

-Player's choice: pick any game that has a double consonant pairing in the title. Examples might include Rolling Thunder, Super Princess Peach, Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventure, Bubba and Stix, Shatterhand, Space Harrier, etc.

-Import alternative: pick any version of Hebereke no Popoitto. It's a puzzle game that's heavily inspired by Dr Mario and Puyo Puyo featuring characters from Hebereke/Ufouria.

-One week left for the Vanillaware RPG challenge for March! Will anyone else wrap one up?