Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Game Completion Challenge

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I finished Dragon Warrior 2 for the consecutive consonant challenge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dw1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	10235

Name:	dw2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	10236

This was a terrible choice for a 1-week clear. As I mentioned the other day this is one I wanted to play through soon and ended up picking it for this week since the fit the player's choice requirement.

There's nothing quite like making a slow 30-minute trek towards the final boss and getting insta-murdered by a Defeat spell.

I don't think I've ever wished so hard for a throttle/FF button on the NES as I did playing through this one.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    -Import alternative: Cyberbots (Saturn, Arcade)
    Cyberbots also had a ps1 port. Not sure if there are any differences in the versions. Definitely going to do the import alternative this week. I'll take any excuse to play a fighting game.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Week 13 - Astal Completed

Forth time was a charm on Astal. Third play through I got to Jarado, but I didn't remeber his patterns, and I was being cocky, too, tossing the crystal dragons instead of dashing over them. I restarted immediately after and went straight through and played conservatively when I got to him for an easy win. After Muramasa: The Demon Blade, this was the best time I think I've had in the first quarter of the Game Completion Challenge.

I really hope I'm not the only one to tackle it this week. This game is the definition of an underrated gem, IMO.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Completed Star Trek Generations: Beyond the Nexus (Game Gear) for the player's choice.

Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Completed the import alternative Cyberbots(EU/Arcade). I played through the game using Fightcade, an arcade emulator that allows for online versus matches in fighting games, and broke out my fightstick to get that classic arcade feel. I found the game to be a somewhat interesting take on fighting games, using mechs for fighters rather than your typical combatants. The game was a 4 button fighter with one button used purely for (boost) which is the games version of a dash. Granted it could also be used to levitate. But despite all the fancy names and sprites, the game is an airdasher at its heart. Focused on spacing and aerial movement above all else. Personally I found the game kind of annoying to play, since everything seemed safe on block. I mean come on, safe supers? That being said it is definitely not a terrible fighter. After finishing the game I was lucky enough to find a couple of people playing against each other online and decided to spectate for a bit. While I'm not sure how I feel about playing the game, my god it is fun to watch. The massive amounts of mobility combined with very safe attacks and no real combo system(just multi hit basics and specials that claim to be "combos") make for an incredibly fast paced game. The speed makes watching knowledgeable players fascinating, even if I myself am not knowledgeable.

Name:	cyberbots.jpg 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	10246

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played through Super Spike V'Ball on NES. It seemed pretty easy until the Brazil team, then it got kinda hard. Luckily, the next two teams didn't get much harder.

Silent Bomber is a lot of fun. I'll likely revisit it this week. I'm sure I could find a movie based game to play too.

I may try Lunar: The Silver Star on Sega CD. I've played through the PlayStation and Game Boy Advance versions before, so hopefully it won't feel like too much like a downgrade.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I think I'll tackle Lunar on the SEGA CD. I've never actually played a Lunar game despite owning two copies of the SEGA CD original, the sequel, and Lunar: Dragon Song on the DS. This is as good an excuse as any to jump in.

The fact I don't own either of the other challenge games is even more of an incentive to start an RPG now.

For the theatrical license player's choice I've played through a few stages of True Lies on the Genesis. I haven't committed to ending it, but I don't know if I would have ever played it were it not for the GCC. It's actually pretty fun believe it or not.

I swear, I've been playing more games this past few months then I have the past few years.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I just started playing the Sega CD version also. Never played any of the Lunar games before this week.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Nice! Hope you guys enjoy Lunar. It's got a very early '90s anime flavor, and reminds me a lot of stuff like El Hazard and Slayers, but is a nice RPG package. I have some of the remakes, but I've only played all the way through the Sega CD versions (except Magic School, which I did on Saturn). The original Silver Star is my favorite.

Emperor Megas- glad you're having some fun playing! As much fun as it is to find a game at a store or whatever, the simple fun of just playing and beating them is hard to beat in my book. For several years, I kinda lost touch with what got me into games to begin with, and that's playing. Every now and then, when I'm staying awake all night to sleep through the day for work the next night, I just settle in in my couch while my wife and son sleep, and let myself get sucked in like I did when I was a kid. It just puts a smile on my face to feel that way for a few hours.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just played through Tom and Jerry: The Movie for Sega Master System. Despite the name, it doesn't follow the plot of the movie. Would it still count for player's choice?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scissors View Post
    I just played through Tom and Jerry: The Movie for Sega Master System. Despite the name, it doesn't follow the plot of the movie. Would it still count for player's choice?
    Yeah, with movie licensed games, pretty severe deviation is pretty normal. Count it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This week I had some trouble settling on a game for players choice. I started out playing Mad Max(2015) and got about 2 hours in. I enjoyed the game but I really wanted to play some "Persona 5," so decided a 20 hour game this week wasn't in my best interest. I then went and searched through my games for a short movie game. I decided to try out "Disney's Hercules"(ps1) but found myself not really enjoying the game so I stopped that after a little under an hour of play. Thankfully I then remembered a game I hadn't played since its release, "Shrek Super Slam"(PS2). If you haven't figured it out by now, fighting games are my favorite genre, not to mention there single player tends to be short. So I was pretty excited to play the game again.

"Shrek Super Slam" is far from the most amazing game but, it is still pretty good fun to beat up some friends in a chaotic party fighter. The story mode of the game had its share of silly one-liners and ridiculous scenarios, fitting of a "Shrek" game. Unsurprisingly, being that it was a game made for kids, it was a very easy game. Managed to beat it in well under an hour. Wasn't really keeping track of time but I'm guessing it took about a half hour. Overall the mechanics of the game were actually decent. Having a block button that can be broken pretty easily but, that is far from useless, actually allowed for "smart play" instead of just mashing the punch button and hoping for a good item. I've never been a fan of the, build a bar by doing damage, in order to get the only kill move style fighters(think PS All Stars). Which definitely made the game a little underwhelming in my opinion, but all in all not a terrible playthrough.

Name:	ssslam.jpg 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	10247

I attempted to play "Super Spike V'ball" this week. However I found I am really bad at this game. I had some trouble grasping how to effectively play defense. After a little over an hour of playing and failing to even come within 4 points of winning a match, I decided to call it quits. So I think I may be done this week. Now excuse me as I go spend all my gaming time on "Persona 5."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

For the player's choice I finished Super Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back (SNES).

Name:	sswesb.jpg 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	10250

At first glance this game looks like it'll be nearly identical to the first game, just with different levels. But somehow it's just not as good. The hit detection feels worse and there are a lot of cheap hits that make the platforming sections a pain. The controls aren't as tight (the original wasn't perfect either but you learned to deal with it). The flying/mode7 stages are still a nice break, but feel a bit more tedious and not as enjoyable. The level bosses (especially Vader) are drawn out due to very long energy bars (especially the final Vader fight). And many of the stages get repetitive, especially towards the end, and I found myself just constantly double-jumping with the lightsaber to fly through them. The addition of force powers in this one was a neat touch and a few of those boss battles would be brutal without them (especially Heal).

I owned and played through the original many times and it was tough, but when you hit Game Over you knew you'd get better and make it farther next time. Maybe it's been too long and the first game wasn't that good either, but this one feels more difficult in all the wrong ways and just not as fun as the first one. Or maybe I'm just older and not as good as I used to be.

Anyway, I just took the boat overseas in Lunar TSS and will try to start putting more time into that one now.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by biofall View Post

I attempted to play "Super Spike V'ball" this week. However I found I am really bad at this game. I had some trouble grasping how to effectively play defense. After a little over an hour of playing and failing to even come within 4 points of winning a match, I decided to call it quits. So I think I may be done this week. Now excuse me as I go spend all my gaming time on "Persona 5."
    I found that just mashing the A button starting right before they hit the ball works okay. I rarely tried to jump and block.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah, the secret to defense in Super Spike is NOT trying to block a spike. Position your defender about two body-widths from the net, vertically centered, and hit A to dig as soon as they spike. You'll usually dig and have a good chance to return.

Also, glad to see you tried Silent Bomber, Scissors! The last boss stage is irritating until you figure out the chess pieces are killed faster by bigger explosions, but I really liked it. Pretty unique game.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 04-08-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 15

New week, new games! Lots of good movie game wins this week! Plus, one day left to beat those pesky Russians at volleyball. I've been struggling with insomnia, and haven't posted much this week (and forgot to post the scoreboard). However, new scoreboard will go up on Monday to capture us current through week 14. On to the games!

-SCAT (NES)

-pick a game from the Bonk franchise. Yes, Air Zonk is allowed. The Gamecube remake/remix is pretty cool, too.

-player's choice: pick a game containing the word "Star" in its title. Examples might include Star Jacker, Star Force, Super Star Wars, Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, Puzzle Star Sweep, Twinkle Star Sprites, The Red Star (the best PS2 game nobody gives a shit about...), etc.

-import alternative: Gear Fighter Dendoh (PS1)

-A few folks are going strong on Lunar after a month where Emperor Megas took a big jump by beating Muramasa. Who will finish this month?
    Last edited by celerystalker; 04-08-2017 at 05:14 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, glad to see you tried Silent Bomber, Scissors! The last boss stage is irritating until you figure out the chess pieces are killed faster by bigger explosions, but I really liked it. Pretty unique game.
    I've actually played it before. I do remember the final boss being a pain. I'm still working on it for this week and I think I'll be done by tomorrow.

Is there an import alternative for next week?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scissors View Post
    I've actually played it before. I do remember the final boss being a pain. I'm still working on it for this week and I think I'll be done by tomorrow.

Is there an import alternative for next week?
    Ha, yes, still a little loopy. I've only slept 5 hours since Monday. Fixed.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-player's choice: pick a game containing the word "Star" in its title. Examples might include Star Jacker, Star Force, Super Star Wars, Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, Puzzle Star Sweep, Twinkle Star Sprites, The Red Star (the best PS2 game nobody gives a shit about...), etc.
    Just double checking, if the title contains the plural "stars" it still counts, correct?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by biofall View Post
    Just double checking, if the title contains the plural "stars" it still counts, correct?
    It does. Plurals are fine.