Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Game Completion Challenge

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Nice. Did you enjoy it?
    Yes, except for that zero g section. If it wasn't for that, I might have 1cc'd the game.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finished all 3 games this week.

For Rambo, I played Rambo: First Blood Part II for Sega Master System. I didn't like it at first, but it kinda grew on me. A bit of a challenge, but not too hard. Rambo walks painfully slow though.

I played Whomp 'Em once before many years ago. It looked like a pretty good game, but I was pretty disappointed with it. I'm still not a fan.

For player's choice, I played Sonic the Hedgehog on Genesis. I didn't get all the chaos emeralds though. I just wasn't into it enough to try again.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Espgaluda finished.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	espgaluda.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	10278

I recently finished wiring up my MAME control panel so going with an arcade game this week was a no-brainer. Still running MAME over s-video for now but an ArcadeVGA card upgrade is planned very soon.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    Espgaluda finished.

Name:	espgaluda.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	10278

I recently finished wiring up my MAME control panel so going with an arcade game this week was a no-brainer. Still running MAME over s-video for now but an ArcadeVGA card upgrade is planned very soon.
    How'd you like it? I really like its slowdown mechanic. Has a nice risk/reward flavor that offers something different from the usual bombs.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

How'd you like it? I really like its slowdown mechanic. Has a nice risk/reward flavor that offers something different from the usual bombs.
    It wasn't bad. I'm not exceptionally good at shooters but I enjoy playing them and watching playthroughs of the more hardcore ones. Ikaruga is the only similar game I've cleared and the bullet patterns were much crazier in this game.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

For player's choice (if it counts) I played through TMNT IV: Turtles in Time for SNES, then a quick run through MD Hyperstone Heist just for comparison.

I'd never spent more than 5 minutes with either game until now. For Turtles in Time, I thought it was a good game and can totally see the hype/nostalgia behind it. Never played the arcade version so I don't know how it compares to it, but as its own thing I enjoyed it more than anticipated. While I can totally recognize the quality I still don't care too much for the licensed Konami beat 'em ups for the fact the engine doesn't have a consistent grab mechanic. They're more like a hack & slash, even moreso than Golden Axe. Totally underwhelmed after finally seeing the "footsoldier thrown into the camera" trick; it's a 2 frame animation with zero scaling that could have been done on any system.

Hyperstone Heist is decent but fully embraces the Konami half-ass Sega efforts curse. Having a dedicated dash button is awesome, having half the content removed isn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 19

18 weeks in, and Scissors sweeps another! Cornelius knocked out Lunar, and Megas fell to the Switch siren song. 'Ems were whomped, and jperryss took down ESPGaluda for the import alt. One day to go! However, for the new week...

-Sunset Riders (Arcade, SNES, Genesis). Extra love if you do it with four players on the arcade version.

-Sol Divide (PS1, Saturn, Arcade)

-Player's choice: pick a game whose title (not including subtitles or numbers) begins and ends with the same letter. Examples might include Super Star Wars, Rough Ranger, Super Troll Islands, Super Sidekicks, Shock Troopers, Rygar, Shadow of the Colossus, Sakura Wars, Gynoug, etc.

-RPG of the month us a Culdcept story mode. Anyone planning on finding out about the goddess Culdra?

-Import Alternative: Download (PC Engine)
    Last edited by celerystalker; 05-07-2017 at 08:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Sorry, had to update the import alternative for week 19. Forgot I'd already put Space Hunter up two weeks ago, just didn't get any takers as I recall. Download for PCE is the new one, and it's one of my favorite PCE games. Fast paced horizontal shooter with a surprising amount of story and very funny engrish.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    For player's choice (if it counts) I played through TMNT IV: Turtles in Time for SNES, then a quick run through MD Hyperstone Heist just for comparison.

I'd never spent more than 5 minutes with either game until now. For Turtles in Time, I thought it was a good game and can totally see the hype/nostalgia behind it. Never played the arcade version so I don't know how it compares to it, but as its own thing I enjoyed it more than anticipated. While I can totally recognize the quality I still don't care too much for the licensed Konami beat 'em ups for the fact the engine doesn't have a consistent grab mechanic. They're more like a hack & slash, even moreso than Golden Axe. Totally underwhelmed after finally seeing the "footsoldier thrown into the camera" trick; it's a 2 frame animation with zero scaling that could have been done on any system.

Hyperstone Heist is decent but fully embraces the Konami half-ass Sega efforts curse. Having a dedicated dash button is awesome, having half the content removed isn't.
    Turtles in Time is probably my all-time favorite SNES game. The grab-and-throw is mostly based on whether you're holding the joystick towards your opponent when you hit the button. The foot-soldier-toss animation is a lot smoother in the arcade version. The hit contact and detection actually feels better on the SNES game than the arcade version.

There is a lot of variety in moves that you may not notice if you only play it a couple times. For example, there are three different kinds of jump kicks depending on when you hit the attack button during the jump. There also also four separate dash moves: a shoulder charge, flying kick, flip, and slide.

The SNES game would be just about perfect with a dedicated run button and with six buttons there was no good reason not to include one. The double tap timing to run feels just a little bit off.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

sorry, had to update the import alternative for week 19. Forgot i'd already put space hunter up two weeks ago, just didn't get any takers as i recall. Download for pce is the new one, and it's one of my favorite pce games. Fast paced horizontal shooter with a surprising amount of story and very funny engrish.
    mission incomplete

i can not fuck up for this

(DP won't let me post this in all caps as intended.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

mission incomplete

i can not fuck up for this

(DP won't let me post this in all caps as intended.)
    Yes! I love that they are specific to when you die as well.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Week 18 Player's Choice completed - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

I figured I could kill two birds with one stone this week, so I took time off from Mario Kart 8's online play to play through and clear the offline Gran Prix modes. I used Lakitu instead of my usual charater (Daisy) since he's a turtle, and I figured completing the game with an anthro' animal would count for the Player's Choice challenge.

I played a few minutes of Rambo: First Blood Part II on the Master System, but didn't bother trying to complete it. Not because I didn't enjoy it, but I had limited time again this week and it seemed like a Master System game that I would have really liked back in the day (I'd never played it before), so I wanted to play it at my leisure to enjoy it more at the expense of a point.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

The cutoff is midnight, right?

Name:	whomp.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	10279

This was a decent Mega Man clone but the power-ups just weren't as fun to experiment with. The zero-G level and final boss were a PITA.

I can't believe I never caught the pun in the title until now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

The cutoff is midnight, right?

Name:	whomp.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	10279

This was a decent Mega Man clone but the power-ups just weren't as fun to experiment with. The zero-G level and final boss were a PITA.

I can't believe I never caught the pun in the title until now.
    Heheh, good ol' injun puns. Yep, cutoff is midnight. Point scored.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I played a few minutes of Rambo: First Blood Part II on the Master System, but didn't bother trying to complete it.
    I played this a bit back when it was released, seemed like it was a decent 2P game but extremely slow paced. Was this the original game and the license stripped for overseas release, or vice versa?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    I played this a bit back when it was released, seemed like it was a decent 2P game but extremely slow paced. Was this the original game and the license stripped for overseas release, or vice versa?
    It's a port of a game called Ashura in Japan. It was re-skinned as Rambo. Pretty decent Ikari clone.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Sol Divide (PS1, Arcade Mode) Completed

I've never played more than a few minutes of this game, and if I remember correctly, a lot of people don't like it. I can understand why though. For me, it's definitely a solid experience, hindered by a few shit design choices. For one thing, your hit box is ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUSLY MASSIVE, which I would be alright with were it not for the stupid, unnecessarily clumsy directional input you have to use in the middle of a combo attack when you perform a melee in this game.

BTW, does this game really not support analog controls on the PS1? When was this released exactly? I can't think of ANY console shooter that I felt I needed a joystick to play well before Sol Divide. It's those damn melee combos. They're really murder for me.

Anyway, I'll find a Player's Choice game to knock out quickly than I think I'll try my hand at whatever Culdcept game I have that isn't sealed. I think I have an open copy of Culdcept Saga on the 360.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 05-11-2017 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Sol Divide doesn't support analog control despite being a late release. It was a much earlier arcade game that got a very playable, but super half-assed PS1 port by the same folks who did the Mobile Light Force nonsense.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

For player's choice I went with Metal Storm (NES). This was a great way to test out my new arcade stick. For some reason DP isn't letting me attach a pic, so: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qotinxl04nc6a3c/ms.jpg?dl=0

I think we talked about Metal Storm earlier in this thread. It has some of the nicest parallax scrolling I've seen on the NES and is probably one of the best-looking NES games. The gameplay is tight and challenging, requiring just a bit of memorization to get through. Stage 7 is a boss rush, but the actual last "battle" is about as easy as it gets. Which is OK because the stage 6 boss will cause screaming. The second loop is brutal and requires memorization and perfect timing in a lot of places (think R-Type, another IREM game). I've never cleared it and probably never will.

The arcade stick consists of a Sanwa joystick and Seimitsu buttons in a tek-innovations plexi case. I pad-hacked original controllers for NES, SNES, GEN, and PCE and mounted them in a project box which connects to the arcade stick with a DSUB15 cable, allowing me to use it with my consoles.

Sol Divide doesn't support analog control despite being a late release. It was a much earlier arcade game that got a very playable, but super half-assed PS1 port by the same folks who did the Mobile Light Force nonsense.
    I tried this one last night in MAME and it ran pretty well. Got to a series of bosses fairly early and gave up after having to restart a few times. Might pick it up again this week.
    Last edited by jperryss; 05-10-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah, I'm a big Metal Storm fan. My brother and I used to beat the pants off of it, alternating levels and passing the controller. The gravity mechanic is so much more than a gimmick in the game, and it's got some tricky stages.

That stick sounds slick. I prefer the looser feel of the Sanwa sticks over the more stiff Happ stuff. I usually end up using Happ cmpetition sticks on supergun builds for others, as people I know seem to prefer the bat-style sticks, but give me a Sanwa or Seimitsu ball any day.

For player's choice I went with Metal Storm (NES). This was a great way to test out my new arcade stick. For some reason DP isn't letting me attach a pic, so: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qotinxl04nc6a3c/ms.jpg?dl=0

I think we talked about Metal Storm earlier in this thread. It has some of the nicest parallax scrolling I've seen on the NES and is probably one of the best-looking NES games. The gameplay is tight and challenging, requiring just a bit of memorization to get through. Stage 7 is a boss rush, but the actual last "battle" is about as easy as it gets. Which is OK because the stage 6 boss will cause screaming. The second loop is brutal and requires memorization and perfect timing in a lot of places (think R-Type, another IREM game). I've never cleared it and probably never will.

The arcade stick consists of a Sanwa joystick and Seimitsu buttons in a tek-innovations plexi case. I pad-hacked original controllers for NES, SNES, GEN, and PCE and mounted them in a project box which connects to the arcade stick with a DSUB15 cable, allowing me to use it with my consoles.

I tried this one last night in MAME and it ran pretty well. Got to a series of bosses fairly early and gave up after having to restart a few times. Might pick it up again this week.