Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Game Completion Challenge

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played Transbot for player's choice. I was scanning my SMS games for one that matched the player's choice criteria and this was the second one I saw (the first was Super Tennis, which I stopped playing after about two minutes). This game has two areas, one that loops for ever and one that ends with a boss. I looped the first area and beat the boss in the second. After beating the boss, the game sends you back to the first area and never ends.

I also beat Sunset Riders for Genesis. It took me three tries to beat the final boss. The first time I got to him, I only had two lives left and lost almost immediately. The second time I had a bunch of lives and continues, so I figured I could just mash the fire button and not worry about dodging. This seemed to work and I thought I won, but then the boss got back up and revealed that he was wearing a metal plate for protection and I had to fight him again. By this point, I was down to two lives and couldn't finish him off. The third time, I played very cautiously and beat him with lives and continues to spare.

I'll probably play Sol Divide this weekend.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scissors View Post
    I played Transbot for player's choice. I was scanning my SMS games for one that matched the player's choice criteria and this was the second one I saw (the first was Super Tennis, which I stopped playing after about two minutes). This game has two areas, one that loops for ever and one that ends with a boss. I looped the first area and beat the boss in the second. After beating the boss, the game sends you back to the first area and never ends.

I also beat Sunset Riders for Genesis. It took me three tries to beat the final boss. The first time I got to him, I only had two lives left and lost almost immediately. The second time I had a bunch of lives and continues, so I figured I could just mash the fire button and not worry about dodging. This seemed to work and I thought I won, but then the boss got back up and revealed that he was wearing a metal plate for protection and I had to fight him again. By this point, I was down to two lives and couldn't finish him off. The third time, I played very cautiously and beat him with lives and continues to spare.

I'll probably play Sol Divide this weekend.
    I've never spent a ton of time on the Genesis version of Sunset Riders. Back in the late '90s, I played both it and the SNES version a bit while working at FuncoLand, and greatly preferred the SNES version... and then promptly spent that money on Saturn stuff instead. Years later, I was considering picking it up again, but opted to buy the four player arcade cabinet instead. I was looking for a good four player JAMMA cabinet at the time for swapping out four player boards, and after playing around with Sunset Riders with my wife, I snagged it. It's been a big hit with friends and family, and my nieces and nephews always crowd around it, even more than TMNT or GI Joe.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I prefer the looser feel of the Sanwa sticks over the more stiff Happ stuff. I usually end up using Happ cmpetition sticks on supergun builds for others, as people I know seem to prefer the bat-style sticks, but give me a Sanwa or Seimitsu ball any day.
    The Sanwa/Seimitsu controls are effortless, precise, and an absolute joy to use. The Happ stuff (which I loved) now feels stiff and clunky in comparison. I have a separate 2-player tabletop unit for MAME that uses all Happ parts and I'm now thinking of switching them out.
    Last edited by jperryss; 05-11-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Woohoo, we're back!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ssr.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	10288

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wow. What happened to the forums?

I had been reading this thread on and off and decided to try Snow Bros for players choice. Got to level 22, couldn't fight sleep anymore, turned it off. Next day, did a quick run-through of Super Mario Bros just to make sure I get my name on the list. Cheap but effective... If I have time, I might try some cheesy stuff like RP2AO3 picks out just for laughs. I kind of wish I had been around when Crystals Pony Tale was an option. I actually have a copy and it would have been a hoot to put something that out there on the completed list. Oh well, we'll see what becomes available. Lastly, are there any restrictions on systems, or is anything fair game as long as the GAME meets the requirements?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalian View Post
    I had been reading this thread on and off and decided to try Snow Bros for players choice. Got to level 22, couldn't fight sleep anymore, turned it off. Next day, did a quick run-through of Super Mario Bros just to make sure I get my name on the list. Cheap but effective... If I have time, I might try some cheesy stuff like RP2AO3 picks out just for laughs. I kind of wish I had been around when Crystals Pony Tale was an option. I actually have a copy and it would have been a hoot to put something that out there on the completed list. Oh well, we'll see what becomes available. Lastly, are there any restrictions on systems, or is anything fair game as long as the GAME meets the requirements?
    For player's choice, any game that meets the requirements works, regardless of system. Welcome to the challenge!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 20

Okay, screwy week with the forums being down, so this week's deadline will extend until Wednesday night at midnight next week. So, new games!

-Mendel Palace/Quinty (NES)

-Keith Courage in Alpha Zones/Mashin Eiyuuden Wataru (TG16)

-Player's choice: pick any game with a metal/metal alloy in the title. Examples might include Steel Empire, Blades of Steel, AD&D: Iron & Blood, Gold Medal Challenge '92, Silver Surfer, etc.

-Import alternative: Hashire Hebereke (SFC)

-Culdcept games are still out there for May RPG!

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I have time, I might try some cheesy stuff like RP2AO3 picks out just for laughs.
    Who is RP2AO3?
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasn't able to post this due to the forum being down, but I did finish Sol Divide on arcade mode on Saturday. I really didn't like this game when I first played it years ago, but I found it pretty enjoyable this time around. I think my problem back then was that I didn't play very long and that in that time I didn't get used to using melee attacks. Also, call me crazy, but I really like the graphics. Since it was so short, I wound up playing through a second time with a different character and then again in original mode. Original mode was a bit of a letdown. While I like the idea, there just wasn't enough variety in the levels and your strength grew too slowly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scissors View Post
    I wasn't able to post this due to the forum being down, but I did finish Sol Divide on arcade mode on Saturday. I really didn't like this game when I first played it years ago, but I found it pretty enjoyable this time around. I think my problem back then was that I didn't play very long and that in that time I didn't get used to using melee attacks. Also, call me crazy, but I really like the graphics. Since it was so short, I wound up playing through a second time with a different character and then again in original mode. Original mode was a bit of a letdown. While I like the idea, there just wasn't enough variety in the levels and your strength grew too slowly.
    I had a similar experience. When I first played it, I played it like a shooter and got whipped. When I decided to give it an earnest go, I learned it's got some beat 'em up in it, and started to do really well. I also started to really enjoy those weird graphics, which almost feel like stop motion digitized sprites in a weird way... They're the sort of thing you'd only see in the late '90s.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I actually think the graphic in Sol Divide are amazing. I always thought it was the standout thing about the game.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I completed Mendel Palace. Never before have I raged so hard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    I completed Mendel Palace. Never before have I raged so hard.

Nice! I'm a bit surprised it got to you, as you seem to take down NES games pretty effortlessly. Nice win all the same!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Oh man, I didn't even read the import alternative for last week. I own Download and totally needed an excuse to finally play it. Granted, I has no time to complete it, but I've never played it before and really wish I had fired it up.

I have more import PC Engine games than imports for any other system. Probably more than for all other systems combined.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hashire Hebereke completed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    Hashire Hebereke completed.

Nice, I wasn't sure anyone would go after that one. What'd you think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Oh man, I didn't even read the import alternative for last week. I own Download and totally needed an excuse to finally play it. Granted, I has no time to complete it, but I've never played it before and really wish I had fired it up.

I have more import PC Engine games than imports for any other system. Probably more than for all other systems combined.
    Shit, you need to play that one. It's a top notch shooter on top of its astounding Engrish. Maybe it'll fit another player's choice criteria down the line... but seriously, of all of the import alternatives I've posted, it's probably the best, and is definitely in my personal PCE top 10. I should clarify, it's not one of those cases where I like a game that's generally considered to be shit (like Rambo on PS3). Download is the shit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Nice, I wasn't sure anyone would go after that one. What'd you think?
    It was kind of meh. Racing games aren't generally my thing, but I thought it was a bit slow and the items didn't really do much to make things exciting. On the positive side, the AI doesn't cheat.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Killer Instinct Gold for the players choice. I'm not sure I would want to play Mendel Palace after watching a quick youtube clip. I couldn't make heads or tails out of anything that was going on! What exactly are you supposed to be doing in that game? I'm looking forward to next week; I'm working over 60 hours this week so have to go the cheapness again. I wonder if there are any game show games with a metal in the title? Jeopardy Silver Anniversary or something like that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Killer Instinct Gold for the players choice. I'm not sure I would want to play Mendel Palace after watching a quick youtube clip. I couldn't make heads or tails out of anything that was going on! What exactly are you supposed to be doing in that game? I'm looking forward to next week; I'm working over 60 hours this week so have to go the cheapness again. I wonder if there are any game show games with a metal in the title? Jeopardy Silver Anniversary or something like that...
    Yuck, long week! I do believe there was a Wheel of Fortune: Golden Edition on PC, though I'm not 100%. Also, remember that week 20 has an extended deadline through Wednesday night due to last weekend's forum outage. New games up shortly!