Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Game Completion Challenge

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 21

Lots of games to play this week! Week 20 has an extended deadline through Wednesday night due to forum outages, and this week will overlap, returning to the usual schedule. Crystalian joined in this week, and RP2A03 ran Hebereke in circles after helping save DP this week. Time to beat some more games!

-Code Name: Viper (NES): since I got a new arcade pcb this week, Rough Ranger (a Rolling Thunder clone distributed by Capcom), I figure everyone can play a different Rolling Thunder clone, also from Capcom!

-Last Bronx (Arcade, Saturn, PS2)

-Player's choice: pick any game exclusive to its system. No arcade ports to console or multi-platform games, just exclusives (to console Download service emulation or PC ports don't count, arcade exclusives are okay). Examples might include Team Innocent, Stone Protectors, The Red Star, Scud: the Disposable Assassin, Bangai-O, Mischief Makers, Tricky Kick, Trampoline Terror, etc.

-I don't think anyone's gone for Culdcept yet for May... running out of time!

-Import alternative: Gal*Gun (Xbox 360, PS3)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    -Player's choice: pick any game exclusive to its system. No arcade ports to console or multi-platform games, just exclusives (to console Download service emulation or PC ports don't count, arcade exclusives are okay). Examples might include Team Innocent, Stone Protectors, The Red Star, Scud: the Disposable Assassin, Bangai-O, Mischief Makers, Tricky Kick, Trampoline Terror, etc.
    Battletoads Arcade was exclusive except for an XB1 re-release as part of Rare Replay. The Simpsons arcade game was ported to C64 and DOS and re-released on XBLA. Are either of these candidates for this week's PC?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    Battletoads Arcade was exclusive except for an XB1 re-release as part of Rare Replay. The Simpsons arcade game was ported to C64 and DOS and re-released on XBLA. Are either of these candidates for this week's PC?
    Yes, they count. Download service re-releases don't count for the sake of this stipulation, including eShop, Steam, Xbox Live, and PSN.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For week 20 player's choice, I completed Ka-Ge-Ki: Fists of Steel.

It's a simple fighter where you beat up on a few goons before taking on that stage's boss.

For some reason the loser gets tossed down a manhole.

Yes, the ending is exactly what it looks like.

Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    For week 20 player's choice, I completed Ka-Ge-Ki: Fists of Steel.

It's a simple fighter where you beat up on a few goons before taking on that stage's boss.

For some reason the loser gets tossed down a manhole.

Yes, the ending is exactly what it looks like.

Heh. Did you do the Genesis or arcade version?

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh. Did you do the Genesis or arcade version?
    Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Just a reminder that there is still the Week 20 extended deadline until tomorrow at midnight due to the forum outage that week making it impossible to post the games on time. Beat somethin' will ya?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Week 20 Players Choice - Golden Axe (Gen)

I thought that I'd have a simple and easy run through of this game because I can beat the arcade game on a single credit almost blind folded. I either didn't know or didn't remember that there was an additional stage in the Genesis version...WITH INVINCIBLE SKELTONS! Really!?

Anyway, I still beat it, but it took my about 5 tries.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 05-24-2017 at 09:57 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Iron Tank for last week's Player's Choice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	itank.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	10294

This game was much more frustrating than I remember and by the time I got about 2/3 of the way through I remembered why I gave up on it. Glad I had an excuse to revisit it at least.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played through Steel Empire (the Genesis version) for player's choice. It was a decent shooter, but had some of the worst slowdown I've ever seen in a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Week 21 Player's Choice - Zillion II: The Triformation

I'll admit, because of work and personal shit I'm cheesing most of my entries. It's all I can do to get some gaming in and SOME points on the board. With that said, I really love Zillion II

I know that NO ONE else likes this game, and all think it's a complete wash, but I grew up loving this title. I actually played it BEFORE I'd played the Metroid'esque original, which might have contributed to my appreciation for it. I also really liked the Zillion Anime, and Triformation borrows a lot of material from the Anime. Certainly more than the original.

It's like a 15 minute game, and it's very simplistic and monotonous, but this year marks its 30 year anniversary, so I had to give it play through.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 05-25-2017 at 02:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I'll admit, because of work and personal shit I'm cheesing most of my entries. It's all I can do to get some gaming in and SOME points on the board. With that said, I really love Zillion II

I know that NO ONE else likes this game, and all think it's a complete wash, but I grew up loving this title. I actually played it BEFORE I'd played the Metroid'esque original, which might have contributed to my appreciation for it. I also really liked the Zillion Anime, and Triformation borrows a lot of material from the Anime. Certainly more than the original.

It's like a 15 minute game, and it's very simplistic and monotonous, but this year marks its 30 year anniversary, so I had to give it play through.
    Personally, I like Zillion II, and think it's the better of the Zillion games. The first one with its room codes just bugs the snot out of me. I want to like it, but where the second game just goes for some fun action, the first bogs itself down with design choices that artificially slow play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Personally, I like Zillion II, and think it's the better of the Zillion games. The first one with its room codes just bugs the snot out of me. I want to like it, but where the second game just goes for some fun action, the first bogs itself down with design choices that artificially slow play.
    A think Cyborg Hunter is a good combination of the some of the better parts of both Zillion games, minus the Triformation motor cycle stuff.

It's got labyrinthine levels with corridors and elevators, but it's also got enemies that pose more of a challenge than those in the first Zillion, and of course the exploration isn't bogged down by terminal codes or anything of the like. It's even got a similar ending as Zillion II, where they show stills of three heroes together. Though as far as I know, the other characters shown at the end don't make an appearance anywhere in the actual game.

BTW, I don't know what it is with SMS sound emulation on the Retron5, but for some games it's HORRIBLE. Fantasy Zone II sounds FUCKING HORRENDOUS, and Zillion II was also god awful.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Player's Choice - Battletoads Arcade

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bta.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	10295

I spent WAY too many hours of my childhood playing the NES and SNES Battletoads games and was pretty excited to learn that there was an arcade game also. I couldn't get it to run very smoothly with the latest version of MAME but discovered this week that I can setup my front-end to use different versions of MAME for specific games and BT runs just about perfectly on v106. Apparently at some point MAME got a bit resource-hungry and some games just don't run as well on the newer versions unless you've got a reasonably beefy machine.

This game plays similar to the beat 'em up levels of Battlemaniacs for the SNES. There are no turbo tunnel or clinger-winger style levels, just lots of blood, vomit, and vanilla nut taps. There's also a helicopter stage (similar to the rappel stages from the earlier games) and a SF2-ish "Smash The Car" style bonus stage. There's also a frustrating shmup level with a tedious Robo Manus finale. Sadly, no face-off with the Dark Queen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 22

Some good wins these last few weeks with some neat player's choice picks. I'm about dead after a brutal work week, so I'm gonna go pass out. First, though, NEW GAMES.

-Mad Maestro (PS2)

-Dexterity (Game Boy)

-Player's Choice: pick a game with the word "fight" in the title. Examples might include Mighty Final Fight, Slap Fight, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer, Phantom Fighter, Art of Fighting, Starfighter, etc.

-Import Alternative: Choaniki: Bakaretsu Rantouden (SFC)

-Couple days left for Culdcept for May's RPG challenge. Sad to see it get no love, but hey, to each their own.

New scoreboard will be up Monday or Tuesday. Have a funeral tomorrow, so depends on how everyone's feeling around here for when I'll have time. Good luck, everyone!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the week 21 player's choice I did Bishoujo Sexy Derby (FDS). The game is pretty simple. You select a girl and then proceed to get your derby horse to the finish line by giving yourself a repetitive strain injury. Win enough money and you get to see her naked!

Let's see now. Who should I pick? That pink haired chick looks nice...

Whoa! Wait! Who is that sexy pig?

Time to win some money!

Errrm...

GHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!

This could have ended a lot worse.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was going to do PLOK because I couldn't think of too many system exclusives I can beat in a relatively short period of time. Then I realised you have me a second chance to put Crystal's Pony Tale on the board! Purely for the factor, put some pony-ey goodness on the completed list. Now if you didn't have Cho-Aniki up for next week, I might ALMOST be able to live it down, !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalian View Post
    I was going to do PLOK because I couldn't think of too many system exclusives I can beat in a relatively short period of time. Then I realised you have me a second chance to put Crystal's Pony Tale on the board! Purely for the factor, put some pony-ey goodness on the completed list. Now if you didn't have Cho-Aniki up for next week, I might ALMOST be able to live it down, !
    Nah, Cho-aniki is the manliest kind of manly there is! Muscle!

The SFC one is the oddball one on one fighter that is just a blast in 2 player mode. Very unconventional, and not just because, you know, Cho-aniki.

Also, RP2A03... You found one with which I was quite unfamiliar. The lovely piggies...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For Week 21 player's choice, I played Ghostbusters II on NES. It's a decent little action game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Celery, what is the fascination with "puzzle" games that look like "Lights Out" on crack? I actually have Dexterity and have never played it. This is like that Mendel Palace video that made me want to blow my brains out... Q-bert, Kickle Cubicle, Lolo, etc each have some elements similar to this, but I find something enjoyable in each of those. I just think you've found that "perfect storm" of game genre that holds no interest for me. .