Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

For the import alternative from the other week I played through the Japanese Mega CD version of Night Striker. People shit all over the MCD port of this but I'll defend it till my dying breath. At first it looks like a hot pixelated mess, but after just a few minutes of figuring out what's what visually (and changing the default controls) you can find some of the best scaling on the MCD. Seriously, Taito should have just lost the flying enemies and futuristic setting, recolored the road to look like asphalt, and they could have had a system seller because it's a damn fine engine for a racing game. Makes Jaguar XJ220 look like an SMS game.

And support for the Mega Drive analog controller? Never heard of such an animal.

For the lightgun game I played through Namco's Deadstorm Pirates (PS3) along with both Virtua Cops in Virtua Cop Rebirth (JP PS2). I read somewhere that Deadstorm Pirates is the Pirates of the Caribbean arcade game without the license, not sure if that's true. Good game; the few ship steering QTE's weren't too bad and I see myself going back to it regularly as a lightgun game where I can just turn my brain off and enjoy. No reloads, no cover system, just hold the trigger down and shoot.

Virtua Cop Rebirth is fantastic if you're a fan of the series. My only complaint is that this is one of those few games they insisted on making only compatible with the Guncon 2 (will not work with a PS1 Guncon) and there was absolutely ZERO reason to do this. None.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    For the import alternative from the other week I played through the Japanese Mega CD version of Night Striker. People shit all over the MCD port of this but I'll defend it till my dying breath. At first it looks like a hot pixelated mess, but after just a few minutes of figuring out what's what visually (and changing the default controls) you can find some of the best scaling on the MCD. Seriously, Taito should have just lost the flying enemies and futuristic setting, recolored the road to look like asphalt, and they could have had a system seller because it's a damn fine engine for a racing game. Makes Jaguar XJ220 look like an SMS game.

And support for the Mega Drive analog controller? Never heard of such an animal.

For the lightgun game I played through Namco's Deadstorm Pirates (PS3) along with both Virtua Cops in Virtua Cop Rebirth (JP PS2). I read somewhere that Deadstorm Pirates is the Pirates of the Caribbean arcade game without the license, not sure if that's true. Good game; the few ship steering QTE's weren't too bad and I see myself going back to it regularly as a lightgun game where I can just turn my brain off and enjoy. No reloads, no cover system, just hold the trigger down and shoot.

Virtua Cop Rebirth is fantastic if you're a fan of the series. My only complaint is that this is one of those few games they insisted on making only compatible with the Guncon 2 (will not work with a PS1 Guncon) and there was absolutely ZERO reason to do this. None.
    Yes! Night Striker rules. The arranged soundtrack on Mega CD is great, and it still retains the feel of the arcade game. Any version of Night Striker is worth a go in my book!

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For this weeks player's choice I played Time Diver: Avenger (NES) which is an unlicensed, possibly bootleg version of the unreleased Time Diver: Eon Man. It's actually not a bad game.

Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played through Under Night: In-Birth exe:late. Nice looking game. Not one I think I could really get into though. Like I would do in most fighters, I just button mashed my way through.

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Bokan to Ippatsu: Doronbo (PS1)
    Isn't the full title of that Time Bokan Series Bokan to Ippatsu Doronbo? Wouldn't it work for player's choice this week anyway?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mario's Time Machine for the cheapness!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 30

Life is beating me up right now. I know it's later than late, but here is the week 30 co-op challenge!

-Quartet (Arcade, PS2, Master System): in spite of what you may have read, the PS2 version DOES support 4 players if you have a multi-tap plugged in.

-Scud (Saturn): two player mode where one uses a gun, the other uses a controller. Trust me, try it. Just do it. Don't be a bitch.

-Player's choice: pick another simultaneous co-op game. Examples might include the Adventures of Cookie and Cream, Kane & Lynch, Crackdown, Gain Ground, Alien Syndrome, Bare Knuckle III, etc.

-A whole day left for July's RPG, Dragon View (SNES). You missed out; it's great. Well, unless you're off of work and have time for about a 14 hour marathon.

-Import Alternative: Two options this week, as one has limited availability due to being a Japanese arcade exclusive, but both offer great co-op fun:
    Super Gussun Oyoyo (SFC)
    Lode Runner: The Dig Fight (together mode) (Arcade)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do we have to play with another person?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scissors View Post
    Do we have to play with another person?
    It is this week only. Online play is allowed, including through emulation, excepting Scud, which requires the one gun, one controller co-op mode, which won't work that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Please, somebody try out the two player one gun, one controller method of playing Scud. It's sorely unique, where the contrller player plays a side-scrolling run 'n gun while the light gun player lays down cover fire. C'mon. Try it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I've never tried online play via emulation but if someone wants to tackle this one night this week, shoot me a PM. ZSNES looks like it might be easy to get going.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default August RPG Challenge

Well, I am sincerely sad that nobody gave Dragon View a whirl for July... I just know a few of ya would've loved it. Anyway, onward to August, right?

This is gonna be a longer one, but a good 'un.

Valkyrie Profile (PS1, PSP)

The PSP version is Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. I figure it at least offers a chance at some portability. If you haven't yet, go gather some einherjar. It's got some dynamic combat, a great look, and a fun story even if the crafting can get a little old.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 31

Well, trying to spice things up appears to have flopped, so, here's some more games that are single player.

-Darius Gaiden (Saturn, PS2, Arcade)

-Kenseiden (Master System)

-Player's choice: pick any game you've never played before.

-August RPG: Valkyrie Profile

-Import Alternative: Odo Odo Oddity (PS1)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I wish I had more time for gaming lately but work has been absolutely crushing me. I even picked up a new PVM a few week back that I've barely looked at.

I'm sad that the GCC is running out of steam, though I'm obviously not helping here.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Same. I am checking every single weekend and planning to join in again eventually. I just keep running into the problem of not owning any games that qualify, not being in the mood for any of the games I have that do qualify, or just plain not having the time (and there were a couple times I was playing something but failed to beat it before the next weekend).

I highly recommend Valkyrie Profile, though! One of the greatest RPGs ever, in my opinion.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's the truth, sometimes you just don't have the time or can't get a complete. Played Bomberman and Bubble Bobble with the family because of your multiplayer suggestion, didn't beat either but had a lot of fun. Also, I've played Dragon View before, but didn't feel like giving an RPG a run-through "just because". Spare time is rare and precious. Don't think just because people aren't putting up completes that fun isn't being had. You're doing a good thing motivating people to play, even if they don't post and give you props. It is appreciated. I think Darius Gaiden is on my Taito Legends disc. Might beat it, might not; either way it's been a couple of years since that game has been fired up so kudos for the option. A game you've never played might open up a lot of interesting options. Thanks for keeping the contest going!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Similar here. House project taking up tons of time, plus I'm more in a read-a-book phase, plus my kids have really gotten into Pokemon, so I'm sort of playing along with them. I am watching here, though. And Valkyrie Profile has been on my list for a very long time.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Holy Fuuuuuu....! So I started Valkyrie (PS1 discs on PS3) and finally get to the first save, but it says "Free space on this memory card is insufficient" two blocks blah blah blah. So I go on without saving hoping it is just the automatic save prompt that is glitchy or something, but like 10 hours later, same thing. So what's the deal? Does this game not save on PS3? Is my HDD full? (I have no idea, really, but the memory card manager you can access from the PS button says 0/120 KB).

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I feel bad for about not participating these past 2 months, but, having replaced my dying, awesome Samsung HDTV with a cheap 'meh' SCEPTRE one, I've managed to get some gaming time in lately for the first time in a loooong time. Maybe this week's selections will give me an easy way back in, since I've just started a new game I've never played before (Song of the Deep), and Kenseiden is EASILY one of my favorite SMS games, and one that I've argued for DECADES is PAINFULLY underrated.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Well, trying to spice things up appears to have flopped
    Absolutely not. For internet play, maybe it would be easier to pick a classic game on a modern platform, have everyone exchange gamer tags, and plans on a specific date/time. Maybe hunt down a game that allows everyone in the lobby to spectate while the game is going on, or at least have everyone in the same voice chat party.

I've never bothered with internet play through emulators and don't even know where to start. If someone could spoon feed me a tutorial I promise I will listen.

-Kenseiden (Master System)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Kenseiden is EASILY one of my favorite SMS games, and one that I've argued for DECADES is PAINFULLY underrated.
    You two will receive phone calls if I ever become a homosexual polygamist.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I feel bad for about not participating these past 2 months, but, having replaced my dying, awesome Samsung HDTV with a cheap 'meh' SCEPTRE one, I've managed to get some gaming time in lately for the first time in a loooong time. Maybe this week's selections will give me an easy way back in, since I've just started a new game I've never played before (Song of the Deep), and Kenseiden is EASILY one of my favorite SMS games, and one that I've argued for DECADES is PAINFULLY underrated.
    Song of the Deep is a FANTASTIC game, one of the best game experiences I've had this console generation. Great graphics, wonderful sound, fairy-tale atmosphere, and the Metroid-like game design draws you in. It is puzzle-heavy, but the fights and the rewards which come with them are very well done. This is probably the best underwater game I've ever played. Stay with the game, it is a very rewarding and great experience.

However, Valkyrie Profile is an absolute masterpiece! A wonderful game by tri-Ace, if you haven't played it yet and you are just halfway interested in RPGs, give this one a shot. Just recently I enjoyed Exist Archive (a spiritual successor of Valkyrie Profile for the PS4) to no end. Valkyrie Profile is one of the best RPGs I've played, well recognized in the meantime but still underrated in my opinion.
    Last edited by lendelin; 08-07-2017 at 04:02 PM.