Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Game Completion Challenge

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Granada is my ish but never beat it. Didn't really dig into the meat though. The players choice game will give me a reason to playthough Quackshot again. Never heard of Rooms.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Granada is my ish but never beat it. Didn't really dig into the meat though. The players choice game will give me a reason to playthough Quackshot again. Never heard of Rooms.
    I love the bejeesus out of Granada.

Rooms is a pretty unique mix of sliding puzzle and point and click adventure. It's short, but pretty interesting just because there's not much of anything like it.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I had picked up the retail version of DuckTales Remastered for the PS3 way back, but it is the code version and I never redeemed it. Expired now. waah waaa (trombone sound).

Been waiting for the new basement to be finished, but this got me to set up my NES again and I played it that way. Stoopid key to the mines threw me off, but game is now completed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I love the bejeesus out of Granada.

Rooms is a pretty unique mix of sliding puzzle and point and click adventure. It's short, but pretty interesting just because there's not much of anything like it.
    Any recommendation on Wii vs DS version of Rooms in case I decide to track it down?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Any recommendation on Wii vs DS version of Rooms in case I decide to track it down?
    I prefer Wii. Last I checked, both were super cheap, but the Wii is a bit easier to appreciate all of the details.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I was going to ask about the after midnight Strider completion to confirm what our deadline was, then I thought, 'oh wait, maybe it's a different timezone'.

Anyway, I didn't get to game any this time because I was sick. I still am, actually, but there's no way I can't complete a cartoon licensed game this week. I also have Granada, but I've never played it. This week is as good a time to try it out as ever. Actually, I suppose not 'as good as ever' since I'm not always sick, but you know what I mean.

I don't think I have Rooms. I always thought it was like one of those free to play, mobile, 'look for the item' type of games or something.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the player's choice I did Bucky O'Hare. I actually have this game, but at the moment it is easier for me to emulate. This is a fun, if not difficult, platformer with a kick-ass soundtrack. Apparently it was made by some of the same people who would later go on to found Treasure. I have been playing this game since I was six so it was easy for me to complete it on one credit.

I ended the game with forty-one lives, but I must have died like twenty times. This game will brutalize you if you don't know what you are doing or get careless.

Also, did anyone else have the hots for Jenny?

Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Bucky O'Hare is sweet. I'd love to get the arcade pcb, as it's a totally different but just as awesome game, but it is a pricey one, and I did pony up for a GI Joe already this year.

Off topic, but I'm making a short list of more costly boards, as I'm considering selling my copy of Resident Evil: The Book by Hiroyuki Ariga. I have no sentimental attachment to it, and the last one sold was the one I gave my buddy, who got somewhere between $500-600 in worse condition... I've never been keen to sell my stuff, but stuff I don't use for stuff I would use seems legit.

Cornelius-I didn't realize there was a code-only Ducktales on PS3. I picked up the disc version on PS3 when it came out, as my wife is a huge Ducktales fan. I hate it when they sell physical cases with no media. That's just dumb.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Duck Tales 2

This one was a bit of a letdown. I've played through DT1 at least 20 times and DT2 felt like Duck Tales 1 Remixed. The Mega Man formula of "Let's make the same game with different levels" is strong here: Same graphics, same play control (except now you can also pull blocks with your cane), same mediocre hit detection that often makes it difficult to land on top of an enemy, and the same "play 5 stages and then revisit one at the end" stage layout. The levels feel like Mega Man levels but shorter, less fun, and more annoying. I even recognized a few MM sound effects.

I'll admit I didn't get all of the map pieces, but this one just wasn't as enjoyable as the first one or enough for me to want to play through it again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Cornelius-I didn't realize there was a code-only Ducktales on PS3. I picked up the disc version on PS3 when it came out, as my wife is a huge Ducktales fan. I hate it when they sell physical cases with no media. That's just dumb.
    Yeah, but they put a collectible pin in there! /sarcasm. They physical case with digital contents is really stupid, but it was clearly labeled that way at least. I wasn't surprised or anything, just forgot about it in the mix.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally got around to starting Ogre Battle this week. I'm not sure if I'll finish before the end of the month, but I've been meaning to play it again anyway. I played it once before a year or two after it was released (on PlayStation) and got what I'm assuming was the worst ending. I don't think I really paid attention to the reputation meter back then. I'm trying to do a bit better this time.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Yeah, but they put a collectible pin in there! /sarcasm. They physical case with digital contents is really stupid, but it was clearly labeled that way at least. I wasn't surprised or anything, just forgot about it in the mix.
    I have that version. DuckTales Remastered is a really really good game. It was like 15$ for the version with the pin and code, so personally i think its worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Week 4 Players Choice Completed

I went with the Genesis version of Aladdin, played on the Retron5. I hadn't touched it in 20 years, at least, but I managed to run straight through it with ease. I had a lot of avoidable deaths because of several missed jumps. I'm not sure if it was the controller I was using or input lag from playing it on an HDTV.

In any even, I think I'll give Granada a try, though I know I won't be able to finish it by the deadline.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I went with the Genesis version of Aladdin, played on the Retron5. I hadn't touched it in 20 years, at least, but I managed to run straight through it with ease. I had a lot of avoidable deaths because of several missed jumps. I'm not sure if it was the controller I was using or input lag from playing it on an HDTV.

In any even, I think I'll give Granada a try, though I know I won't be able to finish it by the deadline.
    Given the games you've enjoyed in the past, I'd bet good money that you'll dig Granada. It's a fun little search-and-destroy shooter.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Man I've been waiting to do this with you guys but shit keeps getting in the way of life. Frankly i think at this rate if be better off quiting my job and telling them all to go fuck them selves and I'd be much better off.

Any way i tried getting mame to work to play a game I had in mind that i thought was based of a Western cartoon but come to find out the game in question was based off the comic and not the cartoon so....

Technical loophole? MegaMan? Has a Western cartoon or would the cartoon be based of the game? ( Not the game i had in mind for mame)
    Might call in and try and do one of these soon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Technical loophole? MegaMan? Has a Western cartoon or would the cartoon be based of the game?

I was wondering the same thing about Pac-Land. It's based on the Pac-Man Saturday Morning cartoon, which is based on the video games, so I mean...I don't know. It's a moot point though since I could never end (or loop?) the game.

Anyway, I'm really scratching my head because I would have bet money that I owned Granada, but now I can't find it. And I'm generally pretty organized (when it comes to my games, anyway). I mean I really thought I had that title. I remember the box art and everything. Maybe it was one of the games I lost back in New Orleans that I thought I replaced years ago. Meh.

Well, now I DO want to own it so I think I'll scout out a copy. I hope it's still cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Lightbulb Ohhhhh! Now I remember....

I do have it; I knew I wasn't completely senile! My copy was actually the Megadrive version. I didn't see it because I have those (well, the Japanese ones anyway) shelved separately from my Genesis games. Duh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

As for the Mega Man/Pac-Man question, it should be based on a cartoon, not the other way around. So, basically, cartoon first or no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

As for the Mega Man/Pac-Man question, it should be based on a cartoon, not the other way around. So, basically, cartoon first or no.
    Good thing I didn't go with Tak and the Power of Juju then. ^_^
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 01-27-2017 at 11:10 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Well still the mame game i was thinking of was comic based oh well