Thread: Two of my PlayStation 3 controller can't hold a charge. Is this unusual?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question Two of my PlayStation 3 controller can't hold a charge. Is this unusual?

The only PS3 controller I have that can hold a charge is my original (non-rumbling) Six Axis. My other two, which are official Dual Shock 3 controllers, don't charge at all and only show a controller icon with a dash sign behind it (and no battery icon at all) on the screen when you attach the charger cord and check the battery charge using the PS button.

Is this a common thing? Like the way original PS1 consoles used to fuck up en masse after so many years (when you had to play them upside down).

Shit like this is why I prefer using standard rechargeable batteries. I swear, I have some of the WORST luck with electronics.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sony makes junk. Try opening them up and seeing what's inside and a cleaning. Did that recently with my DS3, it had a deadzone and drifting on the left analog. Which is apparently a common thing with the overpriced garbage Sony maufactures.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The batteries are probably dead. Replacements can be found here and here. Alternatively, you could open up the battery pack and see if you can find a source for the cells.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm trying to be more productive and positive in 2017 so I'll look at this as a glass half full thing and use this as an excuse to trick out a dead controller. I'll probably replace all of the stock parts with something funky.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Might as well, see about adding lights to

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I wish PS3 and PS4 controllers ran as long as the Wii U Pro controller. 80 hours from a single charge. Not a bad controller on its own, the 80 hour charge definitely makes it one of my favorites. That being said, I haven't ever had to recharge it, that's how much I play Wii U games on my Wii U. I've probably played Dokapon Kingdom with a friend more than I've played all my Wii U games put together.

What really sucks is the PS3 Six Axis controller had a fairly long charge and it was very light. As soon as Sony switched over to the Dualshock 3, the battery life dropped, but as the Six Axis it had a good 40 hours atleast.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

A friend from another forum affectionately dubbed the Six Axis controller the 'Sux Asses' controller when the PS3 first launched. I definitely agreed. I've NEVER been a fan of the Dual Shock's layout. I used to HATE it, but I've long since grown use to it, what with SONY using the same design every generation.

Anyone who's ever played a Nintendo64 knows it could be far worse though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

My six-axis and DS3 are still going strong, and I've played well over 100 games using them. I've heard that those 3rd party charge stands kill the batteries in the DS3 controllers.

That being said, my GBA SP has only been charged one in a year. It holds its charge very well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I'm trying to be more productive and positive in 2017 so I'll look at this as a glass half full thing and use this as an excuse to trick out a dead controller. I'll probably replace all of the stock parts with something funky.
    Well, if they're that uncooperative, toss 'em in a blender for a while and put the results in a glass about halfway. Voila, glass half full! Make other controllers watch for extra evulz points.

In a slightly less deranged and more relevant line of thought, how hard is it to rebuild one of those things? I've got a similar problem with a DS3, but it's also the only one that I have at the moment, so I've been waffling on giving it the Johnny Five treatment.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    What really sucks is the PS3 Six Axis controller had a fairly long charge and it was very light. As soon as Sony switched over to the Dualshock 3, the battery life dropped, but as the Six Axis it had a good 40 hours atleast.
    I've never had an original sixaxis, but also never felt the DS3 had poor battery life. I never clocked it, but never thought it was limiting my playtime (lookin at you DS4).

No, it's not at Wii U Pro's level, but nothing is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I've never had any problems with my PS3 controllers not holding a charge, if anything they've been troopers and lasted for an acceptable amount of time after the charge light starts flashing.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Exclamation OMG, the Six Axis is GARBAGE!

I typed up a mini-rant about this but my phone died, so I lost it. Suffice it to say that the original Six Axis controller is crap. I took that thing apart to replace the battery and spent (no hyperbole) HOURS attempting to put it back together -- specifically the triggers, which fell apart when I opened it because they have a ton of unnecessary little parts that are nearly impossible to reassemble correctly without a jeweler's loupe, a surgeon's head lamp, and a complete set of +2 thieves lock pick tools.

Frustrated, I turned to youtube, and after watching several tutorial videos (NONE of which showed the original Six Axis) I realized that the Dual Shock 3 is designed differently, and FAR BETTER than the original Six Axis. I decided to shelf the first project and tried my hand a the DS3, and dude, It took me less than 2 minutes to open, replace the battery, and close up the Dual Shock 3 controller. It's as good as new now.

I've completely given up on the original Sux Asses controller at this point. I don't like it and didn't use it anyway (except as a backup) since it doesn't have rumble, so no loss there. It's skeet fodder as far as I'm concerned. I don't know what SONY was thinking when they designed that POS.