Thread: What are your pick-me-up games?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default What are your pick-me-up games?

Those games you tend to play when your life gets tough and you need that video game comfort food... whether it's an immersive escape or just a game you can dominate and feel powerful, what do you play when you need a pick-me-up?

I usually go to Super Metroid. Problem is, my grandma died today, and I just finished a Super Metroid playthrough yesterday. I'm taking off Thursday and Friday for the wake/funeral after working Wednesday night, then I'll have the weekend off, where sleep will likely be problematic. Maybe a Mario game or Fortune Street. I wish my GI Joe pcb didn't have a sound issue. Kind of in the mood to play it.

Any games you do in tough times?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Sorry about your grandma.

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Any games you do in tough times?
    Uniracers for the SNES is a mood booster for me. High-speed gameplay that forces you to pay attention (no daydreaming!) and enough comedy to keep it entertaining.

If I just want to let off steam, usually something that I can comfortably rip through in an hour or less. Ninja Spirit, Kid Niki, the first Castlevania, or one of the first three Mega Man games.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Unreal Tournament
    any of them except for UT3, that game wasn't really UT3 it was Gears of Mechano Tits Tournament
    and mainly because well, you shootin thangs

also tetris.

zone out, go super fast, listen to classical Russian music via techno bleeps and bloops

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Sorry to hear about your Grandma.

Sometimes when I cant sleep Ill just lay in bed and watch video game speedruns on my computer.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually get drunk and listen to some music. Vape some shit if I have it. Don't really feel like playing games when family members pass or when feeling depressed. I'll play some Castlevania:SOTN when I just need a great game to play. The music and sound effects take me to another place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

When I had to drive through Dallas traffic all afternoon, I would always fire up Carmageddon and just smash other cars. It's just not the same nowadays, though. If I had a bad day at work I'd go home and play Unreal Tournament on the Dreamcast with low gravity and rocket launchers only, just blowing up bots.

Nowadays I will play something like Phantasy Star Portable through emulation, something I can really sink into and shut out reality. I used to do that with PSO on the Dreamcast and the GameCube, just playing missions over and over for hundreds of hours. The newer Phantasy Star games don't have that level of longevity, but Phantasy Star Portable is close enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Thanks everybody. Castlevania SOTN might hit the spot. I wouldn't have considered Uniracers... I haven't played that in ages.

Looks like the wake is Thursday and the funeral Friday, so I'll work tomorrow night, then spend some good time playing. May watch some British comedies... maybe The Young Ones. Haven't watched that in a bit.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Sorry for your loss. Always tough.

I don't really replay games too often because there are just so many I have yet to get to. I do understand the drive, though. If I was going to have a good chunk of time I'd probably fire up something like Baldur's Gate. KOTOR comes to mind, too, because there's a good story but you can just kick ass, too.

I think I'd most recommend some good multi-player Mario Kart, because playing with some good friends or family is always the best, and most anyone will be up for some Mario Kart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Sorry for your loss. Always tough.

I don't really replay games too often because there are just so many I have yet to get to. I do understand the drive, though. If I was going to have a good chunk of time I'd probably fire up something like Baldur's Gate. KOTOR comes to mind, too, because there's a good story but you can just kick ass, too.

I think I'd most recommend some good multi-player Mario Kart, because playing with some good friends or family is always the best, and most anyone will be up for some Mario Kart.
    We used to play a lot of Mario Kart DS at one point. If servers were still up, I'd get a good Fortune Street game rolling. Most likely I'm gonna be filling the time after everyone's gone home or to sleep, and I'm sitting alone and awake. If people stay over late, I may do some good multi-player like Mario Kart or Pac-Man Vs... maybe swap my TMNT board into my Sunset Riders cabinet for some co-op. If only I could find someone to re-cap the sound chip on my GI Joe board. I'm so in the mood to play it, and it has the four player thing going... I may just play it without sound.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

My condolences on your loss.

The passing of a loved one kind of eliminates my desire to play anything, to be honest. But I do remember once playing some 2-player cooperative Donkey Kong Country after the loss of a pet, and that was nice. It's both easy to begin with and something I've played countless times over, which I think is good under those kinds of circumstances. If I'm having a tough time in life, I wouldn't want to play something unfamiliar and challenging. Then there are some personal favorites that always brighten my mood, whether I'm feeling down or already feeling good to begin with, like Tail Concerto, the Wonder Project J series, and the TwinBee series, which are all pretty sunny, cheerful games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh man sorry to hear. I had a pretty rough week two weeks ago where nothing was going right

Anyway, it's always dynamite headdy or lemmings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Default Go to a bright room

So sorry to hear about your loss. I've been there before - those dark doldrums where your mood seems to stymie your ability to enjoy good things. Like Aussie2B, I find I also have a difficult time playing video games and / or board games in those instances. I don't feel like putting in a lot of effort, and in the worst of times I want to feel like everything is going to be OK - so I tend to watch my favorite movies or read my favorite books...ones where I know there will be a happy ending waiting for me when it's over.

If I had to play a game, I'd play one that isn't too difficult and where victory is more or less assured - an enjoyable journey filled with bright colors. Competitive games are out, as are games that are dark (e.g., Doom or some other violent shooter). Repetitive JRPGs sometimes hit the spot. Maybe try Super Mario RPG, one of the Final Fantasy games (except perhaps VII), Chrono Trigger. What about a bright, shining Zelda game? Maybe revisit one of the classics with a remake - Double Dragon Neon and Duck Tales Remastered are ones I've really enjoyed. If it has to be something new, have you played some of the lesser-known gems: Card City Nights, Terraria, Radiant Historia, The World Ends With You? What about Pokemon?

This might be a really personal decision, though - some folks might want to throw themselves into a complex, skill-driven, arcade-style shooter to lose themselves in pursuit of mastery - something like Ikaruga or whatever. Me, I want a "bright, happy place" - the games I mentioned tend to take me there. Hope you find a game to bring you out of your dark place, too.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

calthaer's mentioned movies, and my go to is Amelie. I highly recommend it!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'll think a bit about what sort of games like that I play. I just wanted to offer condolences for your loss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Sorry for the loss.
    NiGHTS into Dreams might be a good pick-me-up.