Thread: Good Wii Games Without Motion Controls?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Good Wii Games Without Motion Controls?

Thought about picking one up on the cheap. Mostly for GC playback and the Zelda games. Not interested in waving my arms in the air.

Are there any games that let you just sit down with a classic pro controller and play normally? Does Zeldas and Marios have motion controls?

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Oh look, Wiki has a full list of games compatible with the classic controller, GC controller, or both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ontrol_schemes

There are no main series Mario or Zelda games that can be played without the motion sensitive functionality of the Wii remote.

I hated the Wii too for years but the no-lag experience with the Wii U made me jump in and there are a lot of great titles on the console. I will easily have 40 or more titles on my Wii shelf one day. Often I wish there was an option to avoid motion control, like in NSMBW or DK Returns, but it doesn't suck enough that I would avoid the game outright. Metroid Other M is a tougher pill to swallow however.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You'll be paying a lot unless you trip over a good deal, but the Wii version is the best version of Dokapon Kingdom. PS2 version is still expensive as well but no where near the Wii cost. This is one of the most fun multiplayer games I've ever played. Get this if you have anyone else to play it with. I've played the DS version alone and was a little boring, but probably because I was playing against a CPU and not a real person, but in the case of the Wii version I've never played it alone. I'd assume it wouldn't be as fun without a friend, like the DS version, but can't really tell you.

The game doesn't use any motion controls.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Muramasa: The Demon Blade and A Boy and His Blob are good side scrolling platformers. Fire Emblem is good if you are into SRPGs, although last I checked it was a bit pricey. Little King's Story is also something to look into, although it is a game that won't appeal to everybody.

Zelda will have extensive use of motion. Mario, however, uses it much less and won't have you flailing your arms about wildly.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Twilight Princess really should've kept the GC controls as an option. It's stupid to have buy both just for that.

I guess that answers that: if you want Zelda Twilight Princess on the Wii and don't want motion control, buy the GC version, though it'll cost you a bit.
    Last edited by SparTonberry; 01-20-2017 at 12:37 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, for real? Never mind then. Not the type to simply shrug off garbage like motion controls. Just don't and won't play that shit. They must've never thought about hard working people who just want to sit down and relax with a game. And not do jumping jacks while trying to play a game?

Retard should have a giant Nintendo logo next to it in the dictionary. Thought there were optional control schemes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    And not do jumping jacks while trying to play a game?
    In all fairness though, the motion required in most games is barely anything more than a slight flick. I've seen people fling about controllers much more wildly before 'motion control' was even a term.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A fantastic game which doesn't use the Wii motion controls is the remake of the first Klonoa. Fantastic remake, faithful to the original, and the graphics are clean and crisp unlike many other Wii games.

I'm glad that in the meantime the vast majority of gamers see the Wii-motion controls for what it is -- truly bad for gameplay and a marketing ploy. Whenever I plug in a Wii game I pray to God that it doesn't force me to use the Wimote-nonsense. This inaccurate controls messed up so many games. It distracts from gameplay and should have never marketed in the first place -- and its incredible commercial success gave us the equally nonsensical Kinect and PSMove.

I got a lot of heat when I critisized the Wii mote in 2008. Ah, what the heck, here is the link to the Digitalpress-thread from February 2008:

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?112807-The-double-edged-Wii-%25E2%2580%2593-Economic-Success-and-Game-Quality

It shows you how busy DigitalPress was back then! Very busy and active! And the thread got finally locked because some Nintendo supporters just couldn't keep a cool head and were badly influenced by PR strategies. I'm glad that my opinion still stands after the dust has settled.

I just hope that the Nintendo Switch doesn't give us the same extent of motion sensing. It seems it will give us a little bit of it since it was successful with the Wii but at least the Switch isn't centered around the motion-sensing-party-game-nonsense.
    Last edited by lendelin; 02-07-2017 at 10:05 PM.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

New SMB Wii has to be controlled with a remote, but you hold it like an NES pad, and the motion is just jerking the thing in your hand for certain actions, and tilting it for certain platforms. Otherwise it's 99% like playing an NES mario game. They could have easily remapped those motion things to other controls on a classic controller, but for whatever reason didn't.

The ports of the Resident Evil games have loads of control options, including just using a CC or GC controller.

The Smackdown vs Raw games have CC/CG support, but the games are cut down versions of what the PS360 versions have so better played elsewhere unless you only have a Wii.

Xenoblade

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post

I just hope that the Nintendo Switch doesn't give us the same extent of motion sensing. It seems it will give us a little bit of it since it was successful with the Wii but at least the Switch isn't centered around the motion-sensing-party-game-nonsense.
    Considering the Wii U didn't, I wouldn't be worried. I'm guessing some tilt nonsense like the gamepad and 3DS will be the extent of it, and on those, it was mostly ignorable.
    Last edited by BlastProcessing402; 02-08-2017 at 03:51 PM.