Thread: Faxanadu - Why Does Wing Boots Time Drop After Several Ranks?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Faxanadu - Why Does Wing Boots Time Drop After Several Ranks?

http://www.the-interweb.com/serendip...ing-Boots.html

While the code explains the usage of the item in question, could anyone please explain what code actually decreases this particular duration on the player's fifth, ninth and thirteenth rankings?

40 seconds: Novice, Aspirant, Battler, Fighter (EXP: 0, 1,000, 2,200 and 3,500 respectively)
    30 seconds: Adept, Chevalier, Veteran, Warrior (EXP: 4,800, 6,200, 8,000 and 10,000 respectively)
    20 seconds: Swordsman, Hero, Soldier, Myrmidon (EXP: 12,500, 15,000, 18,000 and 22,000 respectively)
    10 seconds: Champion, Superhero, Paladin, Lord (EXP: 26,000, 30,000, 35,000 and 45,000 respectively)

I ask because what I would like to do is be able to increase this duration after every four rankings; I mean, it's ridiculous that the Wing Boots only last 10 seconds on the highest four rankings. Kind of like how another error in programming caused the Pendant to decrease your attack power rather than increase it (which in that case is fixable by changing the instruction from BNE to the intended BEQ). It would also be nice if I could somehow double these four durations (to 80, 60, 40 and 20 seconds respectively).

~Ben
    Last edited by ColecoFan1981; 01-28-2017 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

According to that link, those time values are stored in seconds in the array at $C599. $0A is 10 seconds for example. Increasing that value should give you more time.

"This duration depends on the player's title. There are 16 different titles therefore the titles 0 - 3, 4 - 7, 8 - 11 and 12 - 15 will get the same wing boot duration. The array at $C599 contains the four values $28, $1E, $14 and $0A which are the duration in seconds for the four title categories (in reverse order)."
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    According to that link, those time values are stored in seconds in the array at $C599. $0A is 10 seconds for example. Increasing that value should give you more time.

"This duration depends on the player's title. There are 16 different titles therefore the titles 0 - 3, 4 - 7, 8 - 11 and 12 - 15 will get the same wing boot duration. The array at $C599 contains the four values $28, $1E, $14 and $0A which are the duration in seconds for the four title categories (in reverse order)."
    Thank you!

I changed three of the said values to $0F (15 secs), $2D (45 secs) and $3C (60 secs) respectively and they all work! The second one, $1E (30 secs), was left alone as I wanted it to increase by 15 secs per every four ranks.

~Ben

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I'm glad you got it working. I almost gave a more complicated answer but figured you wren't looking for an assembly programming lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by ColecoFan1981 View Post
    I mean, it's ridiculous that the Wing Boots only last 10 seconds on the highest four rankings.
    Whether it's a bug or game design I can't say. It does seem weird that it would get "weaker" as you advance though. The array with the time values isn't shown on that page but it does mention that the are in reverse order which does sort of imply that they should go the other way around.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

When you change that code, do you still start with the same amount of money as you used to based on your rank? You should double check that since that was what rank was for.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    When you change that code, do you still start with the same amount of money as you used to based on your rank? You should double check that since that was what rank was for.
    No. Why don't you try them and see what happens to how much you start with after losing.

~Ben