13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Default PS2 HDMI adapter in action

One of these arrived in the mail this week and I finally got a chance to check it out. If you've ever seen a Wii HDMI adapter it's exactly the same thing; a cigarette lighter sized rectangle that plugs into the A/V port on the back of a PS2. It changes the component output video to HDMI and carries the audio over a 3.5mm cable. The only difference between this and a Wii one is that it requires a USB cable to be plugged into the side for +5v power for the audio. You can either plug the cable into your PS2 or into a separate power adapter. Or, you can not plug it in at all, but you will have no audio. At least from what I can tell there's no adverse effects to the video without the USB power but I might be wrong.

They work on both the original and slim PS2 models. However due to the placement of the console A/C adapter plug on the slim models you'll have to bend the power cable to the side for the HDMI adapter to fit. It's no big deal but if you're paranoid like me you might want to avoid long term use on a slim model. I could see this pressure possibly knocking the solder points loose on the systems power plug, but maybe that's just needless worrying.

The adapter itself works well enough as long as you understand what you're getting. Being that it doesn't upscale and very few PS2 games were 480p the end result may look like shit depending on your screen size/quality, as it's just the same as if you were using component cables. I tried out a few games, both 2D and 3D, on a low-end 22 inch Sanyo TV. Visuals looked bright and crisp but extremely jaggy, obviously no fault of the adapter though.

Last year thanks to everyone's input I upgraded my PS2 connection to component on my CRT SDTV and noticed an immediate improvement. Comparing them side-by-side the CRT via component still wins over the LCD over this HDMI adapter, which is to be expected. I'd still recommend picking one if you've got a smaller HDTV with no component inputs and enjoy PS2 games.

As a side note, this actually worked out better than component cables for an arcade project I'm working on. I was going to install a PS2 (with HDD) in a gun game cabinet and use the Aimtraks as Guncon 2's. The CRT was shot and has been replaced with a flatpanel LCD monitor, which is fine for the MAME PC but left me with no way to hook the PS2 up. Originally the plan was to run the PS2 with component to a CGA>VGA converter board, then into a VGA switchbox. With this I can just run both the PS2 and PC with HDMI through a cheap HDMI auto-switcher.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

hmm whered you get this from?

i'm interested to try this on something I've modified in the past few years and I am curious to see if its specifically looking for component or if it will handle other signals aswell

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

You can grab one from the usual Chinese-sourced electronics sellers like DX.

I tried it on a PS1 and it didn't work, so I assume it's actually searching for a component signal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Please post links to where to buy what you're talking about so I can determine if I need it for my setup or not.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

My issue with that was it forces a 16:9 stretch.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Oh wait I thought this was something different. Well, the problem here is that this is just like the Wii HDMI adapter. It doesn't do anything but convert a 480i/480p component signal to a 480i/480p HDMI signal. No upconversion, no forcing interlaced video into progressive scan, and it forces 16:9.

It's fine for people who want a cheap one cable option, but it's useless to everyone else.

I currently use a SCART to Component adapter and then covert that SCART signal through a Component to HDMI adapter that truly does upconvert and lock to 720p HDMI. Doing that allows for a much better video feed than this adapter could provide. Far more cables, but it's worth it in the end.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I'm about to purchase on myself, but I need to be very careful about it as well.

I'm actually finalizing a video where I compare different Wii2HDMI adapters that seem the same but are actually very different! So the same could happen with the PS2 adapters.

Which one did you get, OP? Brand and, if possible, link?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I hope it works better than the awful, unlicensed PS2/3 VGA cable, but it sounds like it uses the same sort of component conversion to attempt the new signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    I tried it on a PS1 and it didn't work, so I assume it's actually searching for a component signal.
    PSX doesn't support component (or rather ypbpr). It treats the actual component cables like a PS2 set to RGB mode does.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I was messing around with this the other day and realized I was completely wrong about the audio. It uses the +5v from the USB for an amp to carry the audio over the HDMI, you're not forced to use the 3.5mm jack.