Thread: Fun thrift store gaming find...sort of.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Fun thrift store gaming find...sort of.

A friend of mine got this lamp at a thrift store, but her cats took no time at all destroying the shade (which I guess is what she liked about the lamp), so she was just going to toss the lamp out. It probably only cost her a buck or something. Well, I hate to see anything that works thrown out, so I reclaimed it for a pretty obvious crafting project.

The face is just place holder graphics I printed out and taped on to get the sizing right. I'm planning on repainting the lamp in a primary blue, and will make stencils to paint on the eyes and mouth. I'll post a picture of the finished project whenever it's done and I find a proper shade for it. Anyway, the wife thought it looked pretty cool so far, so I figured it was worth sharing here.

Does anyone else have any gaming craft projects in the works?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

That's really cool. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished project.

For the most part, the only video game related crafting I do is cross stitching. And for me, cross stitching has always been a hobby where I'll be super devoted to it for a while, then I won't touch it for possibly years, then I'll get back into it, rinse and repeat. I've been working on a Monster World IV piece of the sprites of Asha and Pepe on the title screen for years now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, that is ingenious, even the color already matches! Did your friend connect what the face means?
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    That's really cool. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished project.

For the most part, the only video game related crafting I do is cross stitching. And for me, cross stitching has always been a hobby where I'll be super devoted to it for a while, then I won't touch it for possibly years, then I'll get back into it, rinse and repeat. I've been working on a Monster World IV piece of the sprites of Asha and Pepe on the title screen for years now.
    Thanks. But that cross stitch project. OMG, the patience! You HAVE to post that at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Wow, that is ingenious, even the color already matches! Did your friend connect what the face means?
    She doesn't know anything about gaming outside of Mario and Pokemon...and Sonic, because he's recognizable. I showed her what a Dragon Quest slime was when I took the lamp though, and a picture of what it looks like so far and she thought it was cool.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 02-21-2017 at 12:20 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Very cool! I'm not especially crafty most of the time. My in-laws used to have a big xmas party where everyone had to bring a homemade ornament. One year mine was an 8-bit Mario made out of legos. It was pretty cool, but super easy/fast. My wife knits, crochets, sews, etc, etc, and she knit me an awesome Space Invaders winter hat. She also crocheted a bunch of little Pikmin for me one year. They are super cute.