Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Default NES RGB Question

Hey guys I recently bought a sony PVM that takes SCART and looks incredible. I bought a SCART cable for my Sega Genesis and it looks crystal clear on the TV, I couldn't be happier with the picture. The Genesis was easy to hook up because it requires no modding to get a SCART output however. I've been trying to hook up my NES to the TV as well and was wondering what my options are for RGB modding the console so it can be hooked up to my TV with a SCART cable and experience the same incredible quality as my Genesis.

I've seen that you can buy the RGB NES kits, but my limited soldering experience makes me wary of trying to mod the system by myself. I would much rather pay someone who has the experience to mod the NES. Do you guys know any online store/anyone I can pay to mod my NES for RGB output? This is something I'm willing to spend a decent amount of money to see completed, as now that I've seen how good RGB looks on my Genesis, I want to be able to experience that same quality on my other consoles!
    I am known as Theretrogamer12345 on Youtube and Sega-16. I am known as Gunstar Hero on Digital Press. My eBay account is Theretrogamer

[YouTube Link] [eBay Link] [Digital Press Link] [Sega-16 Link]

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Game tech US is the only one i remember ever installing the NES RGB. Not sure if he still does

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Mickcris on pcenginefx.com did mine, he does great work.

I've also had SNES work done by this guy and he does NES RGB mods also. The NES RGB amp is around $80 so the mod isn't cheap, but so worth it especially with a PVM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I did this mod to my NES, although since I couldn't find the SCART cable I just used S-video and it looked FANTASTIC.

a couple things:

1) get a desoldering gun.

2) add fresh solder to the pins holding the PPU in place. this gives you better flow.

3) there's a few pins that are very hard to remove for reason I can't exactly remember. you basically have to just add solder, suck it off, etc

4) wiggle the pins around, this will usually free them

once the old PPU is off, the rest is pretty easy. I didn't have a drill so I just left the top off, otherwise you can drill a hole for the S-video out/ RGB out and glue it onto the plastic.

it really does look amazing but it might not be for everyone. the picture is very sharp, so if you have a framemeister, it's not a bad idea to zoom out on the picture so that your eyes don't bleed.