Thread: PS1 Buying Guide, Which original PS1 model should i go after

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS1 Buying Guide, Which original PS1 model should i go after

Hi all, I'm looking for a PS1 that is in mint shape, The original gray fat one, What is the most reliable SCPH- number should i be getting?

Here is my take right now:

SCPH-1001: Higher audio quality, RCA Jacks and Parallel Port, Laser wears out fast and made out of plastic and can cause FMV Skipping Issues.

SCPH-5501: Same DAC as SCPH-1001, Fixed laser and relocated and RCA Jacks removed.

SCPH-7501, Good model, Parallel Port still.

SCPH-9001, No Parallel Port, Good model.

Should i get a SCPH-1001 or no.

When i had an SCPH-1001, No matter what laser i tried in it, It wouldn't read anything and i tried to adjust BIAS AND GAIN without multi meter and it didn't fix it. Is it properly BA6397FP?

Also there was no topics about PS1 or PS2 here so i make my own. What PS1 original model should i go after?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

atleast something with an expansion port still.
    any of these are getting so old your bound to run into laser problems some where along the line its not just limited to the 1000/1001, and they are all replaceable aswell too.

that being said I think only 1 of my 16(ish) PSX's are broken in any sort of manner that I didn't cause and it was a 1001 with no sound ironically enough...well it had a sound over the audio channels but it was just this weird static that changed pitch at random. everything else runs fine so its become a test bed for my Sync over Green RGB mod for the 1001's.
    the other ones I broke are really just broken spindles, they got pushed down too far and I tried prying them up and broke em.

if you come across one get the 1001, the skipping FMV/Audio thing is fixable on them but I don't feel its wide spread. I do notice much better sound from these when using straight RCA's out the back but if your going to stick to the sony A/V port then I wouldn't bother looking for one specifically.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I would imagine the RCA jacks and parallel port are irrelevant to most people these days. It's not hard nor expensive to get the proprietary Sony cable, and unless you intend to buy and use a cheating device or some such, who cares about the port. From what I understand about the whole "better audio" thing, it applies to using the PS1 as a CD player, rather than in-game music, but this is also irrelevant because there are just about a million devices that are better, or just as good at least, for playing audio CDs these days.

I wouldn't suggest even wasting your time on the launch model. Its primary issue is that it overheats like crazy. If you want to actually play this thing, don't bother. Personally, I've got a boxed launch model that I keep just as a collectible. The thing feels like it can just about fry an egg after an hour of play.

As for all the other models, I've had more pass through my hands than I can even remember (still have two; a 9001 that I brought brand new myself in '99 and an another that's a 5501 or 7501, can't remember which). They're all about the same as far as I can tell. It's just a matter of age and use. If you want one in mint shape that works well, your best bet is a 9001, if only because they're the youngest and are likely to have been used less than an older model. But they're also getting up there in age, and you could just as well come across an older model that was lightly used that works better than a heavily used 9001. In my case, my 9001 has always been my primary unit, and while I've always treated it like gold and it still looks mint, even it has started to become a little problematic in the last few years, after over a decade of working perfect. Some games load just fine, others can barely get through FMVs or won't load at all. When I wanted to play through Final Fantasy V a few years ago, I ended up having to use my PS2, as my PS1 just refused to play nice with it.

From what I last heard, replacement laser units can be bought for around 10-15 bucks. I don't know if they have the longevity of the original, official laser units, but these days, they may be your best bet in getting a reliable PS1. Sad to say, but the PS1 wasn't a particularly well built system in general.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry I have no luck with the SCPH-1001. Should i go for SCPH-5501 since they use the same BIOS as 1001

Okay, When i had an SCPH-1001 PS1 in a broken lot a year ago in lot of 5 consoles, I had one made August 1996 with a shitty Plastic KSM-440-ACM laser and i took that out, replaced the laser with an KSM-440-AEM and ADM and i blindly adjusted BIAS and GAIN POT without multimeter and it didn't fix a damn! Could it properly the BA6397FP that has gone bad or they rarely go bad or i adjusted the BIAS AND GAIN Too much!? Since the 1001 didn't work, I tried both lasers in another PS1 that are not 1001 and they work fine. Is it possible to swap lasers in a 1001 with any that are (ADM up to BAM) without adjusting BIAS and Gain since i don't care about burned games.

This is the color what will indicate it when i did it blindly?
    What does the Red mean?
    What does the yellow mean?
    What does the green mean?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	focus_bias_2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	10234

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I suggest that you buy a SCPH 7501, that was the best model in my experience with PS1 hardware. I played a lot and had the fortune to own every model.

Also, if you want to purchase a laser replacement, why don't you buy an SCPH-101, its very cheap and has the best video output of all the models, they are very reliable even if they are a bit ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I would imagine the RCA jacks and parallel port are irrelevant to most people these days. It's not hard nor expensive to get the proprietary Sony cable, and unless you intend to buy and use a cheating device or some such, who cares about the port. From what I understand about the whole "better audio" thing, it applies to using the PS1 as a CD player, rather than in-game music, but this is also irrelevant because there are just about a million devices that are better, or just as good at least, for playing audio CDs these days.
    I am no audio expert, but shouldn't the same DAC output redbook and cd audio?, obviously giving you better quality audio in many games that actually use CD tracks...
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    I am no audio expert, but shouldn't the same DAC output redbook and cd audio?, obviously giving you better quality audio in many games that actually use CD tracks...
    That may be so, I don't know. The number of PS1 games that actually have "CD audio" (that is, redbook) tends to be exaggerated. Most PS1 games I've played through don't. It'd always make me laugh when uninformed gamers would use "CD audio" as a selling point for games like Final Fantasy VII when the music is MIDI.

I'm no audio expert either, but I'm surrounded by them in my life (a number of game composers at that), and when topics like how some audiophiles track down a launch PS1 just to use it as a CD player come up, they just laugh. These sorts of audiophiles tend to have more time and money than they do actual audio knowledge, and they're the sorts who will drop $1000 on a gold-plated cable just because they're convinced it'll sound better. Meanwhile, their audio is compromised in other ways, and there are cheaper alternatives that work just as well, if not better. I'm not saying that's the case with people trying to pinpoint the best PS1 model to get, just that the fuss people make over the launch model's audio is mostly much ado about nothing, and any benefit is outweighed by the downsides of the launch model, in my opinion.

Now the Genesis, that's a system were I think it pays off to pay attention to the models and shoot for one of the models known for having better picture/sound. With the PS1, I'd say just get one that works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    That may be so, I don't know. The number of PS1 games that actually have "CD audio" (that is, redbook) tends to be exaggerated. Most PS1 games I've played through don't. It'd always make me laugh when uninformed gamers would use "CD audio" as a selling point for games like Final Fantasy VII when the music is MIDI.

I'm no audio expert either, but I'm surrounded by them in my life (a number of game composers at that), and when topics like how some audiophiles track down a launch PS1 just to use it as a CD player come up, they just laugh. These sorts of audiophiles tend to have more time and money than they do actual audio knowledge, and they're the sorts who will drop $1000 on a gold-plated cable just because they're convinced it'll sound better. Meanwhile, their audio is compromised in other ways, and there are cheaper alternatives that work just as well, if not better. I'm not saying that's the case with people trying to pinpoint the best PS1 model to get, just that the fuss people make over the launch model's audio is mostly much ado about nothing, and any benefit is outweighed by the downsides of the launch model, in my opinion.

Now the Genesis, that's a system were I think it pays off to pay attention to the models and shoot for one of the models known for having better picture/sound. With the PS1, I'd say just get one that works.
    Yep, agree. I think that many audiophile-wannabes did really tried the 1001 PS1 because the article was featured in Stereophile, which I had a subscription at that time, and really compared the console to a 3,000-6,000 usd CD player and well... I really didn't care too much, I had HiFi equipment at home but only low end (primaluna integrated amp + polk LSi7 speakers).

I really love synths and I wish the PS1 could do real MIDI because you can do really complex stuff with it. I had the fortune to play video games with a Roland MT32 on my computer and recently have re-visited my X68000 collection with the MT32 and its really impressive, if you have the time, should definitely look what the synth can do, if you already don't.

And yes, the Genesis hardware changed much over the massive revisions that SEGA made to the hardware, I really love my non-TMSS Gen and connected to a good receiver you can really enjoy the yamaha 2612

Sorry if I deviated the topic
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have an SCPH-7501 but the shell on mine is not in good of shape as there are scratches on it's lid, screw holes are almost broken from me screwing it on too tight. Also, When will ASSEMBler games be back since they are still down. My SCPH-7501 has a Rohm H7240AKV video encoder instead of the Sony A2106 and i noticed it's colors are vivid unlike a normal Playstation where it has washed out color

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    I suggest that you buy a SCPH 7501, that was the best model in my experience with PS1 hardware. I played a lot and had the fortune to own every model.

Also, if you want to purchase a laser replacement, why don't you buy an SCPH-101, its very cheap and has the best video output of all the models, they are very reliable even if they are a bit ugly

I have an SCPH-7501 but the shell on mine is not in good of shape as there are scratches on it's lid, screw holes are almost broken from me screwing it on too tight. Also, When will ASSEMBler games be back since they are still down. My SCPH-7501 has a Rohm H7240AKV video encoder instead of the Sony A2106 and i noticed it's colors are vivid unlike a normal Playstation where it has washed out color

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

https://youtu.be/fqEwYwl2PFI

1001 laser replacement.

any way like I said before if your looking for the absolute best sound i'd get a 1001 if not then i'd atleast get one with an expansion port so you can use a mod cart / action replay

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    https://youtu.be/fqEwYwl2PFI

1001 laser replacement.

any way like I said before if your looking for the absolute best sound i'd get a 1001 if not then i'd atleast get one with an expansion port so you can use a mod cart / action replay

So basically it's like the same thing for the best sound just like a Model 1 Genesis HDG? Because i own one, A HDG Genesis Model 1 NON-TMSS VA2 and it has great sound and been enjoying the YM2612. If i i look for a PS1 SCPH-1001, Can i use any laser besides the KSM-440-BAM and use the AEM from my 7501 and use it and swap tops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

as far as the laser swap I am not sure if any will work, I know the PS One (slim PSX) will work but if memory serves me correct there were some playstations where you adjusted the laser it self and other where you adjusted something on the main board.
    i'll have to crack one open to remember but it was something strange like that

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    as far as the laser swap I am not sure if any will work, I know the PS One (slim PSX) will work but if memory serves me correct there were some playstations where you adjusted the laser it self and other where you adjusted something on the main board.
    i'll have to crack one open to remember but it was something strange like that
    Okay, When i had an SCPH-1001 PS1 in a broken lot a year ago in lot of 5 consoles, I had one made August 1996 with a shitty Plastic KSM-440-ACM laser and i took that out, replaced the laser with an KSM-440-AEM and ADM and i blindly adjusted BIAS and GAIN POT without multimeter and it didn't fix a damn! Could it properly the BA6397FP that has gone bad or they rarely go bad or i adjusted the BIAS AND GAIN Too much!? Since the 1001 didn't work, I tried both lasers in another PS1 that are not 1001 and they work fine. Is it even necessary to adjust BIAS and GAIN pots?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I remember a couple of ps1 1001 we played at launch, we had to turn the system upside down for it to work!! They were unreliable in 96, imagine today!!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

One of the newer ones, like the SCPH-7501.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got a scph-1001 and just swapped the laser with this replacement: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works perfect, but you have to swap the grey plastic laser cover with the old black one, but its not hard, just need a precision philips screwdriver.
    Other than that it's pretty much plug and play, no fiddling with pots or anything.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I don't really understand why you made this topic. :/ It sounds like you're dead set on repairing your broken 1001. If that's what you want, lay out your problem in the Technical/Restoration forum instead of wasting people's time weighing in the pros and cons of all the models. You're more likely to get the answers you seek that way.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I made the mistake of going out and buying the SCPH-1001 because when i tried the laser replacement and took the laser from my SCPH-7501 and tried the scratched copy of Spin Jam, In the game, When i go play it, It will say Get ready and be stuck on loading. I even tried adjusting the pots on the board and fixed nothing. I put the laser back in the SCPH-7501 and tried Spin Jam and it works like a charm and i destroyed the SCPH-1001 because i hate it. So i'm sticking with my 7501.