Thread: FF4 ds

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default FF4 ds

Recently started playing the ds remake of ff4 on android. Loving it!

(Feel free to move this is i put it in the wrong forum.)
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

As a huge fan of FF4, this is a great game that compliments the original release(or the definitive PS1 and PSP versions of the original release.) Final Fantasy 4 DS is like a hard mode of an already difficult but amazing game, the only thing that I don't like about it is the camera is so zoomed in on the character that you're doing little else but looking at the map to cover where you're going. There are some enemy AI combinations that are a bit bs in FF4DS, the flame dogs for example can destroy your party before you get a chance to act if they each decide to use blaze, additionally the encounter rate is a bit high, especially considering one block on the original FF4 might take four or five steps to get across since everything is much larger scale in this game.

Final Fantasy 4 is one of those RPGs that I like to reference when I point out that it's not all about grinding in order to progress because while most people use Rydia and Rosa for little else than casting attack magic and healing, and have them sitting in the corner defending, some of their best skills don't even modify HP. Stop which doesn't work on every enemy takes a single enemy out of the battle, while slow does work on every enemy and Rosa's best skill outside of the obvious health recovery. How often have the trap doors pissed you off forcing you to revive a character almost every time you fight them, when a simple stop spell pretty much immediately wins you the battle, same with Red Giants who cast explode on themselves at the end of the battle. Behemoth wrecking your party with counterattacks? Hold and pin actually works on him(as well as other enemies) for a few turns, or another option is to just cast blink on Cecil(and image on Edge) every few turns and he'll attempt to cover a character who's been knocked into low health at the cost of one of the images being removed instead of taking damage. Frog actually works a decent percentage on enemies, so use it, etc. There's a lot more strategy involved in Final Fantasy 4(or many RPGs in general) than simply buffing your allies or casting an elemental weakness that are actually more effective. With the difficulty of FF4DS, you get a lot more out of the game playing this way, and whether you're playing it or the original FF4, you cut back on a ton of grinding(to pretty much none.) So people saying RPGs are for people who just suck at video games, that may be true for the most part as there's a lot of garbage gamers out there, but there's a difference in skill level even among RPGs.

*edit*

One thing I forgot to mention, I forgot what they're called, but the new items that you can customize your skills and add new skills to characters bring out a lot more to the game as well. You don't want to horde what you get though, I'd recommend looking up a guide for these specific items because buy using these on characters who leave your party, you'll be given other ones that you can't get any other way, and you have to give a specific number to the characters.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-02-2017 at 04:07 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't like some of the voices (particularly the no longer renameable Cecil) or how they put "eidolons" in to the translation. That term has no place in ff4! Summoned monsters was a perfectly cromulant term, anyway.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I also miss the item split glitch.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)