Thread: Things you own and like, but rarely use

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Things you own and like, but rarely use

One of my best friends, with whom I've probably played the most games in my life aside from my brother, has decided to sell off the biggest parts of his collection in order to raise money for a career change. He's asked me to help him figure out what to keep/sell, etc., predominantly based on what he and his family will use vs stuff he has basically for the sake of having it.

Anyway, made me think a bit. Not planning on selling anything myself, but a different question. What stuff do I have that I really dig, but rarely use? A top 5 of sorts.

1. PC-FX-it's one of the least english-friendly consoles out there, and my favorite game on it is best played versus another human (Battle Heat), and people rarely want to try it. I plan on picking up more games beyond the handful I own, but in the several years I've owned it, it's not netted a ton of time.

2. Emerson Arcadia 2001-Cat Trax is a solid Pac-clone, but the star for me is Breakaway, which plays like a hybrid of Pong and Breakout in two player mode, which rules... but few people want to play the thing.

3. Jaguar CD-easily the least-played system I own. I play Battlemorph and stuff now and again, but it goes years without being turned on at times. I keep telling myself I'm gonna get into the Jaguar homebrew scene, and instead buy another arcade board. Still, I have an affection for those early CD add-ons and the just goofy stuff on them.

4. Sega Mega Drive Modem-Sega's official modem for Japan. I have a boxed one. One US game supports it: Cyberball. Guess how many people want to try a dial-up game of Cyberball? Nobody. Absolutely nobody. Still it's so weird and interesting to look at. I could lump my Saturn Netlink in there, but an online game of Virtual On with the right person is far more feasible.

5. Steel Battalion-I bet I haven't played it in a decade. Still, it's such a unique experience that I wouldn't want to not have it available when I want it. I think it's one of those things that one day I'll really get immersed in again, but probably not anytime soon.

Anybody else have stuff like that that realistically just sits, but you'd never part with it?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Most of my collection at this point, to be honest. Too many games and systems, too little time to play them, and too much fondness for genres where the games tend to be really long.

I can ditto PC-FX, though. I absolutely love the thing and own about 2/3 of its library, but I haven't sunk a lot of time into it yet. I think I've only played like four games on it beginning to end.

Virtual Boy is another system I have a big soft spot for, but I very rarely pull it out.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

hmm for me probably the famicom modem, family basic set and my odyssey 2...

the modem is pretty self explanatory, family basic because I have a hard time understanding Japanese, and the odyssey 2 because well i'm not sure it works and I think I am happier not knowing....but I really want to play conquest of the world

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Anything prior to the NES - Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, etc.. I don't play any of that shit. Honestly, I just keep it for the nostalgia.

Clone systems (besides the Retron5) - I have a lot of clone systems and clone handheld like that Coleco Master System handheld, several Atgames systems, the Retro Duo, the Retron3, etc.. I don't use any of these systems though.

Neo Geo Pocket - I have yet to take this thing out of the box. I really should get some games for it though. It was a gift from my late mother-in-law so I'd never sell it.

Game Gear - I just never play it. I'm going to put the Retron5 Game Gear adapter on my wish list though so that I can at least enjoy some of my modest Game Gear library.

Nintendo 64 - I haven't played Nintendo64 since it was current. I tried playing it a few years ago on my HDTV and it was a checker boarded mess.

Jaguar - Fuck that doorstop.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

First that comes to mind is the SuperGrafx. Its cool! But I only have Ghouls and Ghosts for it, and I suck at that.

Game.com. Man that thing had some neat ideas put into it, but just not executed well and poor game support. If you want to get specific, I've even got the modem for it. So cool! But useable?

I'll second Aussie's choice of the Virtual Boy. I love it, but really never play it. And I'm with her with basically my whole collection fitting the description to some extent. I'm very close on the basement finishing project, which will allow me to put my games out on shelves. So I'm hoping that will help, although celery's game completion challenge is already getting me to dig through boxes, which has been great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

My penis ... *ba dum tssssss*

And my RPG collection, I rarely have time to play. Have more than a year trying to finish Crimson Gem Saga ...
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Probably my Nomad. Such an awesome machine but either a battery hog or requires a step-down transformer to use as I live in the UK- meaning most of my later Mega Drive games don't play on it either.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

To be honest I think my answer is "99% of everything I own." I mean its rare I have a console I can ALWAYS hook up (I only have space for two or three at a time). I even have a blu-ray player now that I almost never use.

But probably the best answer I can give is... my Neo-Geo. I love that thing and no you're not getting it away from me, but I only used it for a few months after first getting it. I need a new copy of World Heroes AES (North American) too as I damaged my copy while opening it to clean it, because for some reason that game (it and no others) kept producing this scratchy sound.

... I also still need replacement disks for Revenge of the Ninja Sega CD, Dune Sega CD, Mansion of Hidden Souls Sega CD, and disc 2 of D for Saturn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thought occurred to me recently, Master System would be a fair candidate. I don't have a full set up of every home system to be in use and without a Master Converter (or PBC) I don't use the SMS much (same with 3DO, NES, and TG16).
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My Japan region PS2. Bought it for DDR Party back when I was super into that series, got a couple good PS1 games like Tobal 2, but it spends most of its life up in the closet. Honestly though, I'd also go with 'most everything'. Since I got a modern-games-capable PC, I pretty much only use that as well as my handhelds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I thought of a few more things.

Both my commodore 64 and vic 20, my virtual boys and in all honesty my sharp NES tv....cuz I don't want to break it.....

I kinda liken to using my NES tv like using the mona lisa as a flag. it'll probably be fun but would really suck butt if it got wrecked

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

My GBA SP. I sold my first one for some fool reason or another, then obsessively tracked down a second one (fun fact, it was only 3 serial numbers behind the first). I only trot it out once in a blue moon, but I keep getting games for it when they come across my radar. Now if only I can find a headphone adapter for the thing.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Hearing a couple of people mention the Virtual Boy made me think. On one hand, sometimes I go a couple of years leaving it unhooked. On the other, when I do plug it in, I tend to spend a few days with it, playing through Teleroboxer, Vertical Force, Wario Land, and at least spending some good time with Mario Tennis, Mario Clash, and Nester's Funky Bowling. I usually try and see if I like Red Alarm yet (nope) or Virtual League Baseball (nope), and maybe play a round of Panic Bomber or two. It basically gets about a good week of love once a year, which is less than, say, my Jaguar, but more than my CD-i or PC-FX.

Reminds me. I need to have an earnest go at Secret Mission next vacation in June. I've been sitting on that for a rainy day for ages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Dang...chalk me up for "almost anything". My time to play games has drastically dimished since I started the next chapter of my life: new wife, a gaggle of step-children and a baby boy that just turned a year old last month. With the wife working in theater productions since last August, it's been a whirlwind to say the least.

Last Saturday was the first time in a long time I could just play games, though it took a hamstring/nerve in my leg issue to keep me home from going to the inlaws as the drive would have been painful, as would church. So I reclined my seat to as flat as I could go where my leg was fine and I could see and I played LoZ:LttP on an emulator on the Wii. Later that night I played the original Zelda on my 3DS while I waited for my eldest step son to finish catching up on his homework so I could do up the Easter treats.

My NES hardly sees the light of day. The Atari 2600 no one beyond me is interested. Basically it's some games on Wii or Minecraft on PS3 with some DS play....which is what the kids do when allowed. I sometimes get a chance to play on a portable at work when time allows.

So now I'm experimenting with emulation, more seriously than ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I used to balk at emulation, but I honestly haven't turned on a game console in at least a couple of years because emulation has improved so much. I also tend to buy USB controllers designed to mimic those of various consoles, which makes it feel more natural. I can now carry around a digital representation of my entire physical game library on my 11" Macbook Air. I just wish millennial consoles were emulated better, I'd love to play Dreamcast and GameCube on the go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Hearing a couple of people mention the Virtual Boy made me think. On one hand, sometimes I go a couple of years leaving it unhooked. On the other, when I do plug it in, I tend to spend a few days with it, playing through Teleroboxer, Vertical Force, Wario Land, and at least spending some good time with Mario Tennis, Mario Clash, and Nester's Funky Bowling. I usually try and see if I like Red Alarm yet (nope) or Virtual League Baseball (nope), and maybe play a round of Panic Bomber or two. It basically gets about a good week of love once a year, which is less than, say, my Jaguar, but more than my CD-i or PC-FX.

Reminds me. I need to have an earnest go at Secret Mission next vacation in June. I've been sitting on that for a rainy day for ages.
    I think for me it's the fact that i have 4 virtual boys and only one is working fine and of course i can't find it.

It's probably with my intelivision, non tmss Genesis and my Vader 2600. Haven't been able to find those for years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Love em, but time and life keep getting in the way of far more use would be my Neo Geo cabinet, Pin-Bot, and my 20th century games in general.