Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pi.

Hi all.
    How many of you have tried running jamma off a raspberry pi? I have been interested in building my own cabinet for awhile and stumbled across the pi2jamma adapter the other day. I'm sure it runs a lot of things fine...?
    Anyone emulate dreamcast/naomi off a pi?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I'm afraid I don't do any MAME/emulation stuff. I totally get why you'd want to, both cost and space wise, but for me the whole point of buying cabinets and boards was playing the exact thing I used to play on the exact same controls/display.

That said, my brother has a buddy who did a raspberry pi box on a supergun I built, and it ran most stuff from the early '90s and back pretty well. The biggest issues were the kind of sound issues that are typical with any kind of emulation, but it ran better than a lot of those 650 or whatever in 1 boards. It ran Neo Geo stuff better than anything.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I completely understand playing the real thing. I don't emulate any console but looking at the cost of genuine arcade stuff puts me out, so I thought I would look at the pi as a cheap alternative to say a pc inside a cab. At most, I can see owning like one or two pcb's and emulating everything else.
    I know it wouldnt have the same amount of oomph, but the majority of the games (later stuff aside) arent that demanding.

Thanks for the info on emulation vs the ### in 1 boards. I have seen those have some weird issues with just about everything, depending on the game, so I likely would skip them.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah, most multi boards are junk. A good way to go is to get a one slot MVS board and the 161 in 1 multicart. The vast majority of those games play right, as they're running on the correct hardware. You get about 90 legit Neo Geo games out of it. Otherwise, PC or Pi emulation will likely get you close enough for what you're looking for, but not on the Dreamcast/Naomi stuff. There is a Dreamcast to JAMMA adapter out there as well.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I picked up a Pi 3 board the other day, and while it does run a lot of things better than an official Pandora's Box board, its definitely not the end all be all of MAME emulation. I didn't try any 3D games, but the 2D games are comparable to an original Xbox (no 60fps MK action). There's definitely something to be said about the Pandora's convenience when all you do is slap it into the harness and it works, versus having to spend time cobbling together something yourself.

A PI is a few bucks cheaper than a Pandora's Box but you've also got to factor in the cost of the adapter plus your time in setting up the thing. At that point you may be better off buying a cheap desktop PC and a J-Pac adapter, or a $200 Game King 2019-in-1 board that's a plug & play board from off the shelf PC parts. Any desktop PC with a comparible processor to a Pi will always run better.
    Last edited by Az; 04-22-2017 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Are you a member of http://forum.arcadecontrols.com yet? If you're interested in building your own cabinet, I suggest you should join.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Yeah, most multi boards are junk. A good way to go is to get a one slot MVS board and the 161 in 1 multicart. The vast majority of those games play right, as they're running on the correct hardware. You get about 90 legit Neo Geo games out of it. Otherwise, PC or Pi emulation will likely get you close enough for what you're looking for, but not on the Dreamcast/Naomi stuff. There is a Dreamcast to JAMMA adapter out there as well.
    I came across the dreamcast to jamma adapter, too! Pretty interesting - I had only seen Genesis to jamma, before that.

Currently, I am playing around with some dreamcast emulation on my surface 4 and for less demanding games it runs surprisingly well and is timed well enough for fighters. I'll probably just go the pc route, like a dead screen laptop or something.

Not sure if I would join an arcade specific forum just yet - Im not super into the interwebs enough to jump all over several forums, but I will lurk them

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you considering options other than the Rasp Pi? Was just thinking that these could be worth your time, as the Banana Pi M3 especially is a solid SBC, and has a bit more memory space than Rasp Pi (2GB).