Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update #2: Shelving consoles sucks butt.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

eh... theres quite a bit more than I have in this pictures (I think most of my stuffs in boxes) but I have been shopping around to insure a collection ever since I got my sharp NES tv.
    the reason is because when I was talking to our home owners insurance sure you get an added 20% payout for items lost and that seems like a lot but it was broken down to me like this...

house burns completely to the ground lose everything, 20% of lets say $220,000 (estimated, house across the street just sold at $253,000) minus the value of the land, location and all that equals about $155,000 that's about $30,000
    you just lost literally everything and you have $30,000 to replace belongings.

appliances, furniture, clothes, food, tools could easily creep past $10k. Car in the garage or two? they aren't going to rebuild it with the house. to replace the car in my garage would be another $10,000 or more. plus money to rent a place while your place is getting rebuilt on top of still making a house payment on a house that is burnt to the ground. I would have a hard time finding the extra money to replace any thing in my collection if that were to happen.

even if its damage to one part of the house, if its a fire you have to consider the water damage to surrounding areas, if its a tree you have to consider whats going to get crushed when they go to remove the tree added 20% to those damages and I would still have a hard time to replace any thing in my collection that I would lose.

now that's my home owners insurance through USAA however that was just a quick run down as an average with an home insurance agent, of course every case would be unique and where I live is just absolutely nutty with home prices and cost of living. we got lucky and bought our house 5 years ago with 1200 sq/ft and 1/3rd of an acre of land for $127,000 refinanced it last October for $135,000 to get rid of PMI, pay off bills and add a bathroom. during the refinance the appraisal came back at $240,000. considering the house across the street just sold last week, same size no garage, for $253,000 my example of costs may be a bit more inflated compared to most people but its still a good example of maybe you should insure that shit.

collection insurance is cheap too, and with home owners a pay out if they come to assess the damage and see a sharp nes tv they will write it off as just an old CRT as a replacement cost of maybe $10 if your lucky where as if some one comes to assess damage to a collection they will take notes of what they can and research it before giving you an actual worth value to replace

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I too lack faith in home owners insurance covering all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    I have brought this up with my insurance agent, though not with an estimate in hand, and he's always said something like this is covered by homeowners. So other than that, I have no extra insurance on it.
    You pretty much have to corner your guy with a hard figure and confirm in writing that the value is covered along with the house, appliances, etc. Your agent's job is to be friendly and make you feel at ease. Claims are handled by other employees whose job is to deny you as much money as possible. Average homeowner policy is concerned with repairing/replacing the house and basic day to day stuff.

Collectible insurance can be problematic in its own right. There can be stipulations that things have to be secured in a safe and not out in the open. The policies that function like you believe they all should are also expensive and can incur more cost than what your stuff's worth.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

This is great info. I'm now convinced I need to look into it more. First step would seem to be figuring out a rough value. Anyone have a good system for doing that? My primary collections are reasonably well logged over at rfgeneration, but updates are definitely needed, and that's just the list, no prices. It'll be a lot easier now to update, but looking up a few thousand titles for prices is daunting, to say the least.

My first inclination is to identify a reasonable average value for a given collection, then add any specific games worth over ??? seperately. I never scored particularly big when I was actively adding to the collection, so for individual titles I probably don't have anything worth more than about $200 (NES Rescue Rangers 2), and it probably drops off quickly after that, though I really haven't paid much attention for some time.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

What an awesome room, with amazing floors. I'm totally jelly; it all looks fantastic.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    This is great info. I'm now convinced I need to look into it more. First step would seem to be figuring out a rough value. Anyone have a good system for doing that? My primary collections are reasonably well logged over at rfgeneration, but updates are definitely needed, and that's just the list, no prices. It'll be a lot easier now to update, but looking up a few thousand titles for prices is daunting, to say the least.

My first inclination is to identify a reasonable average value for a given collection, then add any specific games worth over ??? seperately. I never scored particularly big when I was actively adding to the collection, so for individual titles I probably don't have anything worth more than about $200 (NES Rescue Rangers 2), and it probably drops off quickly after that, though I really haven't paid much attention for some time.
    I'd probably research using sold listings on eBay and price charting. It's hard to get a general price with forum sales so that's kind of out of the question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Had some fun today with a new bookshelf in the game room. The room is totally trashed now, so I'll save additional pics for another time, but here's what I managed... can't say I'm thrilled:

I dunno, I guess this is alright, but looking pretty cluttered to me. A couple other things are bugging me, too. 1) Some consoles I put on shelves with their respective collections, so they are missing here, which is annoying. 2) I took some consoles out of their boxes to put them here (Gen, SMS, VB, PS1, PS2, GC, NES, SNES), and that just doesn't quite seem right. (On the other hand I'm probably more likely to play them if they are out)... which leads to 3) I had this vision of having a good chunk of these hooked up to a couple of switch boxes, ready to go, and that seems much less likely now.

Last, WTF happened to my model 1 SNES!!! It hasn't turned up and I fear it wound up in my trade/sell section and has been gone so long I don't even remember selling it.
    Last edited by Cornelius; 09-21-2017 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I was doing some minor google fu for curiosity's sake and found this.

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/s...tion-Appraised

The trick would be finding an appraiser that actually knows what they're doing. Other than that, keeping and updating documentation is the other big key. Just about all adjusters are paid to be asinine and stingy, so having all your ducks in a row BEFORE bad things happen can make all the difference. Check your policy and read the fine print. Value for this sort of stuff can be very nebulous, especially for a pack of suits that maybe follow numismatics and golf paraphernalia.

On the happier side of things, that is looking nice, though I'm wondering if cramming all those opposing consoles like that is going to result in pair annihilation. What happens in the game room stays in the game room, I guess.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
    I was doing some minor google fu for curiosity's sake and found this.

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/s...tion-Appraised
    That's more good info. I even posted in that thread, though I only remembered after re-reading.

On the happier side of things, that is looking nice, though I'm wondering if cramming all those opposing consoles like that is going to result in pair annihilation. What happens in the game room stays in the game room, I guess.
    Yeah, they very might well go up in some sort of spontaneous conflagration. So many divisions: computer v console, solid state v microprocessor, integral display v none, 8 v 16 v 32 bit, the list could go on.

Happily, I found my OG SNES! It was with my main 'play NES' and some controllers/wires/etc that had long ago been swept into a storage bin and hastily stashed while cleaning for a party or other guests. I have multiple good toasters, so I didn't really miss that, but the missing SNES had been gnawing at me. Now all I'm missing and baffled by is NES Tetris and Gray label Metroid.