Thread: Legend of Legaia (PlayStation RPG)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Legend of Legaia (PlayStation RPG)

Back in the day, I played a demo of this game on a CD - either one of those PlayStation JamPacks that you could buy in the store for a few dollars, or one that was sent to me in the mail. I remember being pretty impressed by the game back then. So recently when reading that Wild Arms took place on a planet called Filgaia, it reminded me - due to the similarity of the names - of Legend of Legaia. So I went to look up prices on eBay hoping to pick up this game. After all, it seemed to be pretty good back in the day. However, alas, unlike most PlayStation games, this one has not decreased much in price. I suppose that's due to it being an RPG. It looks like the average going price for this thing is about $40 these days. I might remember the demo fondly, but I don't think I'm quite ready to spend $40 based just on an old memory.

For those of you who have played this game, how good is it, and what would you consider its value to be in dollars?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I have some...mixed feelings about the game. It has some nice ideas, with the fighting game-esque commands and a defend command that doesn't suck. There were some little things that amused me, like the summon that amounted to laser death that you could get really early. The big turnoff was the overall pacing. I just never got a real sense of progression. Maybe it was just old-school Japanese Really Prefer Grinding sensibilities at work, maybe I just sucked at the game. I used to know some dudes IRL that liked the game overall (and the whole Seru concept was pretty neat).

$40? That's actually something of a surprise. I'd probably hold out for $30 personally, but it's a PS1 RPG and they seem to be on the upswing again. At least it doesn't have the works 'Valkyrie' or "Tales of" on the box; those are expensive words now.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

My brother was super into it when it was a new game. Its combo-based battle system is a little reminiscent of Xenogears, but slower. To me, its biggest flaw is that it can feel lacking in personality, making it feel pretty by-the-numbers at times. It has pretty sound mechanics, but not a ton of character. Had pretty neat magazine ads at the time, though.

To me, I'd feel okay at about $20.