Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Guess That Game!

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Yup. Always like how they spelled it "dicktator" on the cover.
    No doubt that was deliberate. Incidently, all I can find of the box is a low resolution scan and a few photographs that were obviously intended for ants.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Insert Coin (Level 0) WulfeLuer's Avatar

Is #21 StarTropics? and #22 Circus Caper?
    Remember that this is the internet; the internet is where Inglish gos 2 dye.

#21 Spiritual Warfare???
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar

21 was Spiritual Warfare, 22 was in fact Circus Caper

I was thinking Circus Caper but it wasn't on the cover of the box (I didn't think to look at the game label) so then I wasted time looking at box scans for Hockey and other sports games.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar

Just to give Goldenband more time, here's BONUS ROUND!

#BR1 - You got that scar from an epic battle? Hope you learned to stop picking your nose. Oh, and despite the title, you actually never learn any secrets.

Cherry (Level 1)

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Just to give Goldenband more time, here's BONUS ROUND!
    Hey, thanks! I've been traveling so I missed your reply & this post until now. I had one question ready to go, but will try to come up with 2 additional ones shortly.

Cherry (Level 1)

#24. I'm getting hot flashes -- or at least, I'm turning red -- and having trouble with my balls. Time for a drink. (Hey, Tommy, you're still in the news!)

#25. Apple, you've got it (and I'm not talking about the iPhone). But wait, you want me to do this 22 times from scratch? Oh dear! At least I can bring a friend, or even just back out completely.

#26. 300 hours is a long time and I may not live up to your expectations. I'm already seeing red, so please, tell me your name soon or I'll go crazy!

I'm noticing the color red seems to be a theme with your hints. Having trouble placing those games myself... and it looks like many people are stumped lately too.

Now for my Bonus Round I'm kinda surprised... I mean its a game one of our members even had an avatar from. But here's a HINT FOR THE BONUS ROUND:

"I'm Bobbin. Are you my mother?"

I dunno, BR1 is probably Secret of Monkey Island. I'm utterly lost on the "main 3" though.

Wulfe got the Bonus Round! His prize: a thousand cookies!

I'm at a loss on Goldenband's as well. Just one question: What system/platform were those games on? That by itself might be enough to narrow it down.

Cherry (Level 1)

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I'm at a loss on Goldenband's as well. Just one question: What system/platform were those games on? That by itself might be enough to narrow it down.
    #24 is on the Dreamcast, #25 on the TurboGrafx-16, #26 on the Genesis. All are reasonably well-known games (#24 is very well-known, I'd say -- arguably the best-known game in its genre).

#25 Double Dungeons

The other 2 (plus the one by RP2A03 on the first page) have me stumped.
    Last edited by jb143; 06-19-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    #25 Double Dungeons
    Correct!

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    The other 2 (plus the one by RP2A03 on the first page) have me stumped.
    Edmond Dantes noticed a color theme in my clues, and it's a big hint for one of those two games.

Red, Genesis. Please tell me one isn't Sword of Vermillion.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61

I'm going to take a guess here and say #24 is Shenmue.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Cherry (Level 1)

Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
    Red, Genesis. Please tell me one isn't Sword of Vermillion.
    I...can't do that, because #26 is indeed Sword of Vermilion. Advertisements for the game offered 300 hours of gameplay (ha!); obviously, it's got red pigment in the name; and if you leave the game sitting on the name entry screen, the music goes crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    I'm going to take a guess here and say #24 is Shenmue.
    Not Shenmue, no. Hint: there's a character named Tommy in this game.

Peach (Level 3)

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    I...can't do that, because #26 is indeed Sword of Vermilion. Advertisements for the game offered 300 hours of gameplay (ha!); obviously, it's got red pigment in the name; and if you leave the game sitting on the name entry screen, the music goes crazy.
    10 hours of gameplay, 290 hours being lost in the stupid woods? Sounds about right.

#24 still hasn't been answered then. I wish I had more experience with Dreamcast games, but it featuring someone named Tommy who is "still in the news" makes me think its Sports related somehow.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar

Virtua Tennis?

I've been desperately thrashing about; The only Dreamcast game I actually know a bit about is Soul Calibur. "Arguably the best-known in its genre" makes me think of Marvel Vs Capcom. It's like the only game I know of that brings the fighting game nerds, the comic book nerds, and sundry other nerds together to bask in the glories of the Dork Side...by smacking buttons and screaming like maniacs at the screen.

Cherry (Level 1)

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Virtua Tennis?
    Yes! In Virtua Tennis, when you go too long without buying a stamina-refreshing sports drink, your character starts flashing red on the status screen and can no longer hit balls with any power. And one of the playable characters is Tommy Haas, who was in the news last week for beating Roger Federer on grass -- at the age of 39 (!).

I can get the next round...

#27 - Skipping is cool, but leaving those 7 polite servants behind to rot is not. Maybe when you start a new quest you won't be in such a hurry this time.

#28 - I don't remember rafting down a river in the movie. I guess it was in the book. Now if only I could stop getting spit at.

#29 - This is supposed to be a detective game about solving a kidnapping case, but all you get to do is beat up the bad guys. Who needs sleuthing skills when you've got fists, wrenches, pipes, or whatever else you can pick up off the ground.

Cherry (Level 1)

#29 makes me think of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? for NES.

#29 sounds like Dick Tracy