Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Guess That Game!

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

#40 still isn't ringing a bell (admittedly tho I probably need more education in the ways of the arcade)

#41... EDIT: It's unfair to guess multiple games at once, so I'm gonna say... is it Pirates/Pirates Gold or something in that lineage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

People are probably more familiar with the console version of #40, but the arcade version is notorious for one of my (just slightly cryptic) clues.

#41 is one that you would probably have to be pretty familiar with the game to guess, though EVERYONE is familiar with the characters.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

About the only thing I can think of even close for #40 is Rampage.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Not rampage. You could say that these 2 games each have something different in common with one of the previous games I picked...after a fashion.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I guess no one is playing this anymore. Instead of leaving them unsolved, I'll add a few extra details to the clues...

#40 - If you're traveling to the USA, you can't just visit New York City. You should visit places all over the country, such as Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon. And what's that button up there for? Time to swing into action! What? Game Over? Talk about a buzz kill!

#41 - Maybe lighting the match will help. Nope. I hope we don't need that later because it seems to be the only one in all of London. Hey look, a rowboat. Aaaannnnddd, we've drifted out to sea again! I thought you were supposed to be brilliant, but putting me in charge was about the stupidest thing you could have done.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    #41 - Maybe lighting the match will help. Nope. I hope we don't need that later because it seems to be the only one in all of London. Hey look, a rowboat. Aaaannnnddd, we've drifted out to sea again! I thought you were supposed to be brilliant, but putting me in charge was about the stupidest thing you could have done.
    Is this one Sherlock: The Riddle of the Crown Jewels?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Is this one Sherlock: The Riddle of the Crown Jewels?
    Correct!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

#40 - If you're traveling to the USA, you can't just visit New York City. You should visit places all over the country. And what's that button up there for? Time to swing into action! What? Game Over? Talk about a buzz kill!
    This has to be Ninja Gaiden (arcade).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    This has to be Ninja Gaiden (arcade).
    You got it!

I thought the reference to the button on top the joystick so you can swing into things would be a giveaway, at least to anyone who's played the arcade game. And of course the clue about the infamous buzzsaw continue scene.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

#42 - Downloadable title demonstrates the dangers of overeating, the wisdom of taking everything one step at a time, the difficult plight of the color-blind, and the truth of the proverb "You can't take it with you".

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

#42 - Downloadable title demonstrates the dangers of overeating, the wisdom of taking everything one step at a time, the difficult plight of the color-blind, and the truth of the proverb "You can't take it with you".
    Is #42 Fat Princess?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Is #42 Fat Princess?
    Not Fat Princess, no. It's a much older game than that.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I'm tempted to say The Crooked Man but nobody in that game has an overeating issue.

Is it an RPG Maker game?

.... also, sorry I basically dropped out of sight here and elsewhere. I basically just got bored of the internet, and there had been constant thunderstorms as well. I wound up playing a lot of Civilization II, conquering the world as the Romans and thanking my lucky stars that at no point was I opposed by a small village of plucky Gauls with magic potions. That's not an entry in this guessing game but feel free to point out the reference if you like.

I am however starting to think that the clues are getting a bit too obscure though, but I'm not sure what rule or guideline to put in place to change the course that wouldn't make the game entirely pointless. The only thing I can think of is a lot of clues seem to be focusing on very minute portions of a game rather than major elements, which can easily be misleading. But even then its hard to think of a guideline that couldn't potentially be contradictory or self-defeating.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I'm tempted to say The Crooked Man but nobody in that game has an overeating issue.

Is it an RPG Maker game?
    Nope. This is a game for a 16-bit console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Just a shot in the dark, but I'm going to guess Garfield: The Lost Levels

...though I can't see how that fits all the clues.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Just a shot in the dark, but I'm going to guess Garfield: The Lost Levels

...though I can't see how that fits all the clues.
    Not Garfield: The Lost Levels, but you've got the right basic idea (in terms of the thought process that I assume brought you to G:TLL).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Ah, got it...not Sega Channel but Sega Meganet

Fatal Labyrinth

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Ah, got it...not Sega Channel but Sega Meganet

Fatal Labyrinth
    Exactly! The game was originally a downloadable Meganet title; you can famously die from eating too much food; all action is turn-based including character motion; all magic items are initially identified via color; and gold only gives you a fancier funeral.