Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Guess That Game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Jurassic Park is correct. Playing the game when it first came out I remember (as a kid) wondering why there was a rafting scene when there wasn't one in the movie and figuring that it must be in the book(which it is). And those pesky dilophosauruses at the edge of the water keep spitting at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Your clue fits 64th Street better than Final Fight--the former is set up as an actual mystery/detective story, Final Fight is not, and no none of the characters are detectives.
    The only reason I might have accepted it would be if no one guessed correctly, because when I was making the clues my lunch break was almost over and I hadn't polished that one as much as I would have liked. Afterwards I realized that I might not have provided enough details for there to not be more than one game that meets the description. However, the clue does imply that it's a beat-em-up about detectives. And the first weapons you pick up in the game are a wrench and a pipe. I wanted to work something in about the getaway vehicle at the end being a blimp but didn't want to give too much away(though I did intentionally pick a bit more obscure game), but I didn't have enough time to be clever about it. Oh well...
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Heh, #27 is Super Mario Bros., isn't it? Just dawned on me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Yep. If you take the warp zones to skip over levels, then you just left those poor mushroom retainers(servants to nobility) in those castles. When you beat the game, you are presented with a "new quest".
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I guess I should go again...?

#30. Hi, I'm just here for the disk. No need to bother getting up. Yes, I brought a friend. No, his name's not Abel, it was Kurt -- or maybe it was Scott? Anyway, he couldn't pull his weight, so he's dead now. I hate the buddy system.

#31. Wait, glasses? I don't remember anything about glasses, or gems, or amulets or scrolls. OK, I found a map, but why can't I see it? I guess one out of three really is bad, not to mention eight out of nine. And speaking of nine, don't go east yet.

#32. Sure, everyone thinks you're so tough, but a thicket of thorns can stop you in your tracks. Plus, how will you fight them if you can't even see them? You lose, nyaah nyaah-nyaah nyaah-nyaah. Keep off the grass!

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    #32. Sure, everyone thinks you're so tough, but a thicket of thorns can stop you in your tracks. Plus, how will you fight them if you can't even see them? You lose, nyaah nyaah-nyaah nyaah-nyaah. Keep off the grass!
    I'm at a loss for the other two but this here sounds like Ultima III: Exodus, which had "grass" as a random encounter invisible enemy.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

32 sounds like Toejam & Earl to me.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm at a loss for the other two but this here sounds like Ultima III: Exodus, which had "grass" as a random encounter invisible enemy.
    Nope, but I believe #32 did come out the same year as Ultima III.

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    32 sounds like Toejam & Earl to me.
    Alas, no. This one's an action game -- though oddly enough it has the vaguest whiff of an RPG-like element. (A few of them, actually.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Is 32 Zelda 2?
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

So now that I've had some sleep...

I guess I should go again...?

#30. Hi, I'm just here for the disk. No need to bother getting up. Yes, I brought a friend. No, his name's not Abel, it was Kurt -- or maybe it was Scott? Anyway, he couldn't pull his weight, so he's dead now. I hate the buddy system.
    Is this Maniac Mansion by any chance?

#31. Wait, glasses? I don't remember anything about glasses, or gems, or amulets or scrolls. OK, I found a map, but why can't I see it? I guess one out of three really is bad, not to mention eight out of nine. And speaking of nine, don't go east yet.
    This sounds like the SNES Lord of the Rings game.

.... I can't narrow down a specific game but I'm strongly suspecting its something by either Infocom or Sierra...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Is this Maniac Mansion by any chance?
    Nope, #30 isn't Maniac Mansion. The given names are a big hint here.

This sounds like the SNES Lord of the Rings game.
    Correct! Fetch quests galore with glasses, gems, amulets and scrolls. The game tells you that you found a map, but many people don't understand that the map in question is in the manual. And it's Vol. 1 of a projected (but never-released) three games, has only eight of nine playable characters (no Boromir for you!), and allows you to waltz right into the Nazgul's arms if you head east from the starting area despite the game's warnings.

Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
    Is 32 Zelda 2?
    .... I can't narrow down a specific game but I'm strongly suspecting its something by either Infocom or Sierra...
    None of the above, and much more of a "pure" action game. When I said it came out the same year as Ultima III, BTW, I didn't mean the NES version of U3.

Hint: who does (seemingly) everyone think is tough?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

None of the above, and much more of a "pure" action game. When I said it came out the same year as Ultima III, BTW, I didn't mean the NES version of U3.

Hint: who does (seemingly) everyone think is tough?
    Yeah I figured you meant the PC version, thus why I was thinking Sierra or Infocom, who would've been in business in 1983.

Right off the bat when I think of "tough" my mind goes to either Rambo, the Incredible Hulk, or He-Man (I know there was a He-Man game for the Commodore 64...) ..... Am I getting warmer?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Right off the bat when I think of "tough" my mind goes to either Rambo, the Incredible Hulk, or He-Man (I know there was a He-Man game for the Commodore 64...) ..... Am I getting warmer?
    You've got the right idea -- but those are all fictional characters, whereas...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

... its the Chuck Norris game, isn't it?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

... its the Chuck Norris game, isn't it?
    Bingo! Chuck Norris Superkicks, in which Chuck is confronted by impassable thorns, time-draining grass, invisible ninjas, and a "nyaah nyaah-nyaah nyaah-nyaah" tune whenever he fails in a battle.

It's also weirdly RPG-like in a couple of ways, with a separate overworld vs. battle screen and a kind of leveling-up system where you gain moves and belts as you progress.

Now, #30, let's see...the given names (especially Kurt & Scott) and buddy system are big hints here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Now, #30, let's see...the given names (especially Kurt & Scott) and buddy system are big hints here.

Is it.... ...The Uncanny X-Men?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Is it.... ...The Uncanny X-Men?
    You've got it! Forced buddy system (with CPU-run characters who inevitably get slaughtered), disk-holding bosses you don't actually need to fight, and the notorious "IF YOU ARE NOT ABEL" typo that actually isn't a typo. And of course, Kurt Wagner, Scott Summers, etc.
    Last edited by goldenband; 06-26-2017 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Guess I'm picking this game up again!

#33 - So.... I just had to rotate a tower to find dates to look at constellations to find out how to raise a sunken ship. Is this normal? Oh wait, I got here through a magic book, so probably not.

#34 - Can you say that again? All I heard was "wub senth, buddont fuhget tear arr guise lie kyoo ah obada whirl."

#35 - Umm, when the only song anyone knows is "la la la la la" how exactly can you tell the good singers from the bad, or for that matter tell an actual goddess from someone who simply has a good singing voice?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Is 35 Lunar Silver Star?
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

#34 is the original arcade game Street Fighter -- and #33 is ringing some serious bells but I haven't come up with it yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

#33 is Myst