I just don't understand the thinking of some people. Here is an exchange I had on Facebook with a backwards thinking individual.

>>>

Nz17 shared a link to the group: Let's make Sega Dreamcast GD ROM Drive Emulation Happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqocFElidKI
Sega Dreamcast just days away from release

Christopher K Dolan
Sega sold 10.6 million Dreamcast consoles between its November 27, 1998 Japanese launch and when the console was officially discontinued in March 2001.

Nz17
10.6 million? Where'd you get that number? 9.13 million Dreamcasts were sold: < https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...-Sega_Stats-55 > List of best-selling game consoles - Wikipedia

Christopher K Dolan
Sega sold 10.6 million Dreamcast consoles between its November 27, 1998 Japanese launch and when the console was officially discontinued in March 2001. In total it was on the market for two years three months although it was also still sold in certain regions for a few more years. In terms of its U.S. launch – and this is where the sales comparison comes in – the Dreamcast was on the market for one year and six months. This is a life span that’s comparable to the Wii U’s one year and five months.

In total, the Dreamcast sold 2.32 million units in Japan and 8.28 Million outside Japan.

There are multiple Articles that site this Figure as opposed to the 9.13 million figure.

Nz17
Right, but from where are they getting their numbers? I cited references to SEGA.

Nz17
Please see this discussion for why 9.13 million is the likelier number and the problem of citogenesis. < https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:D..._more_research >
Talkreamcast/Archive 2 - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org

Christopher K Dolan
That extra bit between 9.13 and 10.6 could either cover other unofficial markets (ROTW, basically) in the official retail time frame, a reached estimate, or a combination of both. It also makes sense in the context of Saturn which did sell roughly 10 million in its official lifetime, and the Dreamcast had a much healthier first two years than Saturn, especially in the West. Also many Top Video Game Publishers such as Gamepro and IGN both cited the 10.6 M estimates as well as news organizations such as the Guardian (UK) printed an article with that estimate as well. There are sever other freelance articles that cite it as well. Lastly It is the Figure official used by google should you ask it "how many dreamcast were made" Or "How many Sega Dreamcast were Made" or "how many dreamcast consoles were produced" . Not sure about Siri though as I dislike apple.

Nz17
So what you are saying is we should trust "sm284614" from forum.pcvsconsole.com, which is ultimately the source of these 10.6 citations, over SEGA, the Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association, and Mirko Ernkvist {the scholarly author of the academic book cited in the Wikipedia article}. I trust these established people and organizations over some pseudonymous person from an old, dead forum no matter how many Web sites quote him.