Thread: Apple II Prices

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Default Apple II Prices

When did apple II's start commanding such a high price?
    I remember a while ago I couldn't sell one with TONS of stuff to go with it for $25 and now it seems a decent system that works gets on average about $150

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Depends on the model and condition... II goes really high, II+ goes for $150+, IIe for for less than $100, IIc around $100.

I haven't seen them go for $25 in a really long time!
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I can't remember if mines a plus or an e but it's packed full of expansion cards. It well it was, i had to take one out because it had an aftermarket one with a hard wired ribbon cable attached to it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

ok I dug it out and its a IIe

which is fine, I still couldn't find any working IIe's under $100 bone stock.
    this particular one had quite a few upgrades.

it seems to have GOBS of ram added to it, a lot for a regular II

installed is..
    Apricorn 80 column 1k/64k card in slot 0 or aux, which ever you prefer
    Applied Engineering Transwarp w/256k and seems to have the 16bit upgrade installed, i'll have to dig, in slot 1
    Apple Super Serial Card in slot 2
    slots 3 4 and 5 are not occupied at the moment and i'll show you why soon
    Applied Engineering Ramfactor that seems to have about 7 megs installed as far as I can tell (256k * 30)
    Mystery card in slot 6 no discernable manufacturer on the PCB says its made in USA with a Fab103917 Rev G00. IDE style ribbon cable coming off the end and a 32 pin connector on the other side

it also came with a RamCharger from applied and 2, 5 inch drives, one is a genuine apple drive the other is a much smaller NTC drive, disk card was in the box with them instead of in the computer for some reason.

now here comes the fun part. I know this thing atleast boots, I remember checking it out and making sure but its not with out issue. there were more cards in it but when I got it before powering it on I opened it up to check everything out and found that one of the cards was pretty badly damaged and I think you can guess by what in this pic...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apple goop.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	10297

at the time I didn't know as much as I do now about how to take care of this sort of thing but I did pull the offending cards and cleaned it up the best I could. as far as I can tell theres no broken traces on the board but that one slot (5) is toast and the next one I might just remove aswell.

I know I have the damaged card some where but I cant find it and I don't remember what it was, maybe it was something that had a real time clock on it? I donno or more correctly I cant remember.

it may still be in a box in my storage unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I'm so sad now

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I've owned several early Apple computers, namely a II (upgraded to Plus specs), IIe, //c, //gs (a few, including a Woz Edition), and the IIe Card for the Mac LC. I've also owned several early Macs, including an original 128K, and a Lisa 2 (modified to work as a Mac). I didn't get into these things as an investment; I grew up using a IIe both at home and at school, playing simple games, typing up letters, and programming in BASIC.

I don't know if these things are all worth big bucks. I'm pretty sure the IIe isn't worth nearly as much as the early IIs (primarily the ones which have low serial numbers, and/or the early vent-less case). The ones which seem to go for truly big bucks are the original Apple I, and the original Lisa 1 with Twiggy drives. Speaking of which, a friend of mine recently lucked into one at a thrift store. He was jealous of me having acquired my Lisa 2 for free (long story; was in the right place at the right time) until I informed him that the one he found is probably worth several thousand dollars more than he paid..........

As for what happened to yours, yeah, that's rather unfortunate, though the damage seems to be limited to the connector itself (got any pics of the underside of the board?). Fortunately, it shouldn't be hard to replace the card slot with something suitable, if you know how to solder (just be sure to clean off ALL the corrosion, and check the traces between the slots). Given that it's not a rare museum piece like the Apple I or an Altair 8800, I don't think there's anything to be lost by repairing it to make it work as it's supposed to. I'd prefer having a fully-working unit over settling for a shelf queen any day. BTW, some Apple II accelerator cards seem to command a pretty penny, for some reason.
    -Adam
    Last edited by AdamAnt316; 06-10-2017 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I guess through time old stuff become more expensive