Thread: What should i keep, old PC hardware

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Default What should i keep, old PC hardware

i'm thinking what should I keep for the 3d stuff and possibly some older pemtium era 2d stuff or what should I keep in general

I have LOADS of old pc hardware and I am going to have a culling basically and I want to know what era stuff should I keep for that early ish 3d gaming to about to mid 2000's. 32 bit era I guess would be a good way to put it?
    any thing 486 and older is a definite keep, I don't have much of that and what I do is an 80-88, 386 desktop and a 386 rack mount (yea I thought it was odd too). I also have a few pentiums but I think when I get around to it I'll fool around with Pentium pros instead.

any way I have been building computers since Pentium era and have a lot of stuff, enthusiast stuff no pre bulid BS, that I could still use.

i'm not sure if I should bulid up an old Pentium and stick a voodoo in it or bulid a DDR Athlon XP with an AGP8x rando card or go socket 939 and my DFI lanparty and some low spec old PCI express stuff

or something in between or a combo of both?

i'm up to about 5 or 6 boxes of purge plus the stuff I have in the original boxes

theres some apple stuff too but i'll get to that later

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

If its a Voodoo 3 of any sort you may want to build a classic gaming comp with it as that's the only video card that can support all three major acceleration thingies (Direct3D, OpenGL *and* Glide.... though I've always heard that Glide and OpenGL were the same thing they seem to be implemented differently depending on the game).

Apparently some Roland cards are better used than sold unless you just like how the soundblaster sounds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    though I've always heard that Glide and OpenGL were the same thing
    Glide was based on OpenGL but was designed to work specifically with Voodoo cards and also removed a lot of features that wouldn't be necessary for the home market. Stuff that would only be useful in things like flight simulators or high end movie special effects workstations.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

so I keep a video card, I imagine I could use 2 cards and swap them when I want to run something different but that still leaves what else to keep...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There seems to be much fondness for Super Socket 7 boards and especially K6-2 and K6-3 chips, which can be easily underclocked for compatibility with older games.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)