Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back (PS4, PC)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I'm not sure where the "Greek Tragedy" part of this thread is. It's basically a handful of people saying, "Boo, Bubsy sucks to the point where it isn't even fun to pick on him anymore," and the retort of, "Come on, guys, it might not be so bad!" "Nope, don't care. This is dumb." "Oh, come now, it might be okay!" There isn't real drama here, just a mascot that draws more cynicism among some of us than others.
    Exactly. This topic has been derailed and devolved into a defense of the right to think this release and everything about how it's being marketed and sold isn't warranted and to hold preexisting feelings about the character and franchise rather than treating it as if it's a brand-new IP or belonging to a franchise with a good reputation, and it's just absurd that it has to come to that in the first place. I wouldn't conflate that with caring or being bothered so deeply about this. In fact, before this topic took this pointless turn, most of the criticism was a little overblown for the sake of comedy, but that seems to be lost on certain individuals. Likewise, this has nothing to do with other publishers and their releases which weren't even bought, let alone exalted, by the people participating in this topic. Even if they had, shock and awe, people like some games and dislike others. It wouldn't make someone a hypocrite to dislike Bubsy but like some other game that wasn't well-received, or the other way around.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Exactly. This topic has been derailed and devolved into a defense of the right to think this release and everything about how it's being marketed and sold isn't warranted and to hold preexisting feelings about the character and franchise rather than treating it as if it's a brand-new IP or belonging to a franchise with a good reputation, and it's just absurd that it has to come to that in the first place. I wouldn't conflate that with caring or being bothered so deeply about this. In fact, before this topic took this pointless turn, most of the criticism was a little overblown for the sake of comedy, but that seems to be lost on certain individuals. Likewise, this has nothing to do with other publishers and their releases which weren't even bought, let alone exalted, by the people participating in this topic. Even if they had, shock and awe, people like some games and dislike others. It wouldn't make someone a hypocrite to dislike Bubsy but like some other game that wasn't well-received, or the other way around.
    Agree. The lectures from a certain forum member are getting a little old. It's really difficult to have a discussion when one of the participants cannot allow for the possibility that people can have vastly different opinions about something and that all of those opinions can be perfectly valid.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 09-07-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agree. Tolerance is only required if everyone agrees. As soon as someone disagrees it is disrespectful of others.

That was it for me. I'll ask the administrator to delete my account.

Bruhahabusinessguy and Aussie2B, you made Digitalpress a very uncomfortable experience. Bruhaha produces with some standard phrases nonsense as soon as someone disagrees with him, and you, Aussie2B, take on the tone of a condescending high school teacher as soon as someone disagrees with you.

If someone disagrees with you, that doesn't mean an attack on your right to have a different opinion, it is called a discussion. If someone has some better reasonable points than you, that doesn't mean that he cannot respect your opinion. He just disagrees with more intelligent points. It's not hard to understand if you aren't a soft educational dictator who tries to suppress dissenting opinions. If your idea about an exchange of opinions is just to make statements without responding to the reasoning of others, then you are right.

Jesus, what happened to DP? Isn't it possible to have a normal conversation anymore? Is it only allowed to express opinions if you agree?

Digitalpress was the only forum I posted because I don't have the time to be on the Internet as much as I would like to, and becasue Digitalpress was once a forum in which you could have intelligent discussions about games.

I have my games registered on RF Generation, and I posted there maybe every two or three months. I'll post from now on over there. Seems to be a more reasonable site now than this here with the bruhahaguy with lots of business experience (yeah, right!) and with a dominant wannabe intellectual who has the horizon and the tone of a high school teacher. Almost a year ago I posted over there something similar about Limited Run games, a lot of people agreed, some disagreed, but it never became a condescending 'how dare you'-drama like on this site.

Bruhaha and Aussie2B, feel free to talk amongst yourself from now on. You certainly deserve each other. Don't forget your HATE about poor little Bubsy. It would have been great if, like Aussie2B now claims, the Bubsy-criticism was overblown for the sake of comedy. Instead, I tried to make the point that no-one should take our beloved next-door bobcat too seriously, and all I got were dead-serious comments and lectures about Bubsy. If someone reads the posts of Aussie 2B and discovers the tiniest trace of comedy, I'll give him 100 bucks. I think humor, wit and dissenting opinions are unfortunately almost at point zero on this site now.

Your goal was to drive a DP-member away, congrats, you succeeded!

Don't forget: All people with an anti-Bubsy attitude, unite before it is too late!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

wow you get youre feelings hurt easily !! THHE DRAMA! aussie2b just gave his opinion, I dont see where he was a dick from what i read. Are you the director of this game lendelin ??! I never liked bubsy, but if the game was good i would maybe give it a try, but after seeing the trailer... nope. Those cheesy liners are just awful, and will get old real quick

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    wow you get youre feelings hurt easily !! THHE DRAMA! aussie2b just gave his opinion, I dont see where he was a dick from what i read. Are you the director of this game lendelin ??! I never liked bubsy, but if the game was good i would maybe give it a try, but after seeing the trailer... nope. Those cheesy liners are just awful, and will get old real quick
    No drama here. It is not about feelings, it is about intelligence. The posts of these two insult my intelligence. I won't go down stupidity lane with these two!

I merely asked the administrator to delete my account, that's all. I'm not in the mood anymore to deal with nonsense like 'I have the right to my opinion, every opinion is valid, the thread is derailed to defend the right to express my opinion, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and found your own publishing company?, Why don't you do something productive with your life and change the world?, you can shake your fist as long as you want your opinion doesn't carry any weight and a lot of other stupid standard phrases the bruhaha guy and Aussie2B produce.

They just can't stand disagreements encountering better reasoning. Then they decide to drive members away. To deal with these two is a waste of time, they dominate the Modern Gaming forum, they should continue to do so and drive members away who dare to disagree with them. IT's ok with me, it is just unfortunate for a site like DigitalPress which I regarded as the best gaming website for a long time.

I hope the administrator will delete my account, I asked for it, so the wonderful Aussie2B and the big bad businessguy can talk among themselves.

Jesus, I think I always undersetimated the stupidity of people.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

One thing about Bubsy is that it really doesn't matter what those of us who've played the past games think, most people who play the game now will have never heard of Bubsy outside of "worst game ever(but seriously, how many worst games ever can there be?")

The game will either hit its sales quota or not. Journalists being the biased scumbags they are will probably crap all over this game regardless if it's good or not, and half of their written reviews will be how bad the old games are, instead of, you know, forgetting all that and actually putting effort into reviewing the game in question.

I just don't see the reason for hating on a 25 year old series because it's had some bad games. I don't see threads for Sonic games popping up every time a new game is announced, and alongside the fact that the earlier ones were never really that good, the series has been crap for the longest time. Final Fantasy has been trash for the past decade with the rare good game here and there, but instead of trashing every new release, people give each new release a chance(and even throw tons of undeserving praise at it because it's their favorite franchise.) So why not, instead of complaining about a game we don't know is good or bad, wait until the game is actually released or we atleast see a substantial amount of gameplay, like you'd do for the above games.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    One thing about Bubsy is that it really doesn't matter what those of us who've played the past games think, most people who play the game now will have never heard of Bubsy outside of "worst game ever(but seriously, how many worst games ever can there be?")

The game will either hit its sales quota or not. Journalists being the biased scumbags they are will probably crap all over this game regardless if it's good or not, and half of their written reviews will be how bad the old games are, instead of, you know, forgetting all that and actually putting effort into reviewing the game in question.

I just don't see the reason for hating on a 25 year old series because it's had some bad games. I don't see threads for Sonic games popping up every time a new game is announced, and alongside the fact that the earlier ones were never really that good, the series has been crap for the longest time. Final Fantasy has been trash for the past decade with the rare good game here and there, but instead of trashing every new release, people give each new release a chance(and even throw tons of undeserving praise at it because it's their favorite franchise.) So why not, instead of complaining about a game we don't know is good or bad, wait until the game is actually released or we atleast see a substantial amount of gameplay, like you'd do for the above games.
    I actually share your feelings on Sonic and Final.Fantasy, more or less. I think Sonic Adventure was the only one I really liked. I don't get excited for either of those series anymore. As far as my spending and interest goes, they may as well be Bubsy.

The thing about Bubsy... I don't like sauer kraut. I've tried it several times, in different dishes, and every time, it had made me sick. I can say pretty definitively that sauer kraut isn't for me. So, if someone new comes to me offering sauer kraut, should I eat it again, simply because it's s new cook?

I don't like Bubsy. I've had three different games to try, and I don't enjoy the character. Just because a new team is involved, should I try Bubsy (or any other game that I've never liked)?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post

The problem is that many of us on this forum have actually played all of the Bubsy games and believe none of them were any good. It's not like one of them was great and then the franchise was uneven or just fell apart with later games as arguably has happened with Sonic or Final Fantasy. Part of the fun of a platforming game for me is actually enjoying the character and world that character inhabits. I personally never liked Bubsy as I always found the level design derivative and the character himself wasn't clever or funny, but was literally a hybrid of what Accolade thought would work given the success of Sonic and other mascot franchises. From my perspective, there are just too many other great games out there to waste time and money on something that at best will be a mediocre retread of other platform games with a character I don't enjoy. It's fine to reserve judgment and by all means nobody should feel pressured not to buy the game if they think it is something they are interested in playing. On the other hand, nobody should feel pressured to give this game a chance just because that's what other people think they should do for whatever reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    The problem is that many of us on this forum have actually played all of the Bubsy games and believe none of them were any good. It's not like one of them was great and then the franchise was uneven or just fell apart with later games as arguably has happened with Sonic or Final Fantasy. Part of the fun of a platforming game for me is actually enjoying the character and world that character inhabits. I personally never liked Bubsy as I always found the level design derivative and the character himself wasn't clever or funny, but was literally a hybrid of what Accolade thought would work given the success of Sonic and other mascot franchises. From my perspective, there are just too many other great games out there to waste time and money on something that at best will be a mediocre retread of other platform games with a character I don't enjoy. It's fine to reserve judgment and by all means nobody should feel pressured not to buy the game if they think it is something they are interested in playing. On the other hand, nobody should feel pressured to give this game a chance just because that's what other people think they should do for whatever reason.
    This. I agree. We all need to step back for a while.

I'm actually a bit shocked at the reactions coming out over all this. My last post was serious, but with some self-deprecating attempts to get some laughs and defuse things a tad. There's nothing wrong with reasoned discourse or dissenting opinions; breaking out the whetstone keeps the tools sharp. Properly taking apart an engine, examining the components, and using newer better parts in rebuilding it can redeem an old junker into a kickawesome muscle car. It can be a lot of work, can be uncomfortable, and often requires a fair bit of aggravation all around. But there comes a time when you're dulling the edge, or whacking a perfectly good manifold cover with a bigass wrench because you were insane and tried to fix a Mopar engine with just SAE tools.

It's time to button up and let the project sit for a while before we decide to try covering the whetstone with black silicone or something. Let's see what a bit of time and space does. If we keep on arguing, fine, but at least try to keep the knee-jerk reactions and vitriol down. This Bubsy business isn't a sudden crisis, it isn't even a new situation, it's part of ongoing circumstances, and no amount of griping is going to fix it.
    Last edited by WulfeLuer; 09-08-2017 at 02:24 AM.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

lendelin requested his account be closed. It has been.

By the way, from now on, I/we are not going to accept any more "close my account" requests. If you don't want to use your account or this forum, then just don't use it. If you don't want to see e-mail reminders, then just unsubscribe from them. There's no good reason to ask for an account to be closed other than trying to make a statement.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

The reviews are here! Generally, they say the game is mediocre and too easy and short for the price.

A solid video review I found on YouTube:

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Well at least the gameplay looks better than the old ones. Now someone needs to bring Gex back out of retirement. At least the main console versions of his 3 games were pretty good. He'd have more potential as a revived character than Bubsy here.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Yay! Bubsy's back! I found Bubsy 1 to be an average game but let's face it, I love the character! I think the reason Bubsy gets a lot of hate is because of Bubsy 3D.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    The reviews are here! Generally, they say the game is mediocre and too easy and short for the price.

Cornshaq gaming review
    This guys reviews are good for the most part if you want some detail about how the games play, but his reviews are all over the place in terms of quality, and not just based on the score(which I do like that he atleast uses the entire scale.) Take his Battle Chasers Nightwar review for instance. He almost always states how long it took him to complete a game, but I'm 100% certain that he didn't complete this game, not only because he didn't state the time it took him to finish, but he left out a lot of information that doesn't become so much of an issue until mid game and becomes ridiculous when you reach the last boss. If he did experience this, then his score would have dropped significantly, that and based on his video, he was a bit less than halfway through the game, so the time it took him to finish would end up being two to three times longer than at which point he was, the fact that the game drags hard well before the end game.

Not only that but I've seen other harsher reviews than what Bubsy has received, atleast based on his explanations, and they've scored higher than Bubsy did. Based on his explanation of Bubsy, it's mechanics, it's difficulty, etc, a 4/10 sounds like a good score so definitely not knocking that, but just pointing how his reviews are too inconsistent to be taken seriously in the grand scheme of things. His clearly trying his hardest to become a success on Youtube that's for sure, but pushing out a review every two days on average at the sacrifice of actually pushing out qualiltly reviews is not how to get that done(that, and he's a pretty crappy gamer, atleast based on how often he gets his ass handed to him in his reviews, which that doesn't help him either imo.)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

In case anyone anywhere wished for one, they have now made official Accolade and Bubsy! shirts. Rejoice.