Thread: SNES CLASSIC MINI announced

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SNES CLASSIC MINI announced

I'm sorry if this was posted before, I couldn't find it though:

Nintendo announced the SNES Classic mini with 21 games. Release date: September 29th, Price: $80.

Something special is the inclusion of Star Fox 2 which was never released on the SNES or Super Famicom. All the usual suspects are there, additionally Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dream Course and Earthbound(!).

Let's hope that this little machine will get more production numbers than the NES Classic Mini resulting in way more happy gamers and less happy ebay scalpers.

Link:

http://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic
    Last edited by lendelin; 06-26-2017 at 04:31 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

To me, it doesn't mean crap one if it doesn't actually make it into the stores in sufficient numbers so that actual human persons have a chance of actually finding one on the shelves in order to buy for the retail price which Nintendo set. I'm still pissed off at Nintendo for the complete and total fustercluck they made out of the entire NES Classic Mini fiasco. I waited months for it to show up in stores fully willing to give Nintendo my $60, only for them to unceremoniously pull it from the market. The only people who benefitted from their stupidity were the scalpers. I'm not sure if I'll ever forgive them for the gigantic middle finger they gave their loyal buying public.
    -Adam
    Oops, I seem to have melted the contents of the soapbox I was standing on...
    Last edited by AdamAnt316; 06-26-2017 at 07:51 PM.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Im sure when the chosen few buy it, itll get hacked into a big snes emulator system like the nes classic was.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the compilation of the games is great, I was just really surprised to find Star Fox 2 on it.

Nintendo has to get the production numbers right this time, otherwise ebay scalpers will hoard the SNES mini and ruin it for a lot of gamers.

I still don't have a NES classic mini because I adamantly refuse to pay more than the retail price for it. (If I have the feeling someone takes advantage of me, I become stubborn like a mule. If someone would offer the NES mini right now for $70, I would not buy it. I'm terrible this way.) At times there were 2000 to 3000 NES classic minis on ebay, and when the prices finally went steadily down Nintendo announced the discontinuation of the little machine. Truly bad.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I feel like it's an insanely good lineup, but as everyone has said, Nintendo will probably fuck it up again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    To me, it doesn't mean crap one if it doesn't actually make it into the stores in sufficient numbers so that actual human persons have a chance of actually finding one on the shelves in order to buy for the retail price which Nintendo set. I'm still pissed off at Nintendo for the complete and total fustercluck they made out of the entire NES Classic Mini fiasco. I waited months for it to show up in stores fully willing to give Nintendo my $60, only for them to unceremoniously pull it from the market. The only people who benefitted from their stupidity were the scalpers. I'm not sure if I'll ever forgive them for the gigantic middle finger they gave their loyal buying public.
    -Adam
    Oops, I seem to have melted the contents of the soapbox I was standing on...
    Nintendo has always been conservative on estimating the demand of its products and they have always retained or limited stock from its customers, I happened since the NES, it was a huge factor of its high demand for the Wii and I think that the Switch is not widely available in the USA.

Regarding units produced of the Nes Classic Mini, I have read that the have sold more than 2 million units ... and if the Mini is sold-out, producing more than 2 million units is quite a high number for a product that has a very limited market, hope they produce more, but even if you produce 10 million snes classics, they could easily be bought by resellers
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    Nintendo has always been conservative on estimating the demand of its products and they have always retained or limited stock from its customers, I happened since the NES, it was a huge factor of its high demand for the Wii and I think that the Switch is not widely available in the USA.

Regarding units produced of the Nes Classic Mini, I have read that the have sold more than 2 million units ... and if the Mini is sold-out, producing more than 2 million units is quite a high number for a product that has a very limited market, hope they produce more, but even if you produce 10 million snes classics, they could easily be bought by resellers
    If the units had shown up at stores in sufficient numbers to satisfy consumer demand, there would have been no reason for scalpers to buy them up for resale. Nintendo set the retail price at $60, and $60 is what I intended to spend on one. I figured that there would be a holiday rush, but after a month or so had passed, demand would die down, and perhaps I could manage to pick one up at said retail price. Once February rolled around, I started checking local GameStops numerous times, and they never had any. An employee at one of them suspected that they had been discontinued about a month before they actually had because he hadn't seen any delivered there in some time.
    -Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Scalpers are already having orgasms and boners just thinking about the Super NES mini.

Why? Because Nintendo do are ducking idiots and never learn their lesson. They will, once again, manipulate item quantity making it hard to get again.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    If the units had shown up at stores in sufficient numbers to satisfy consumer demand, there would have been no reason for scalpers to buy them up for resale. Nintendo set the retail price at $60, and $60 is what I intended to spend on one. I figured that there would be a holiday rush, but after a month or so had passed, demand would die down, and perhaps I could manage to pick one up at said retail price. Once February rolled around, I started checking local GameStops numerous times, and they never had any. An employee at one of them suspected that they had been discontinued about a month before they actually had because he hadn't seen any delivered there in some time.
    -Adam
    Yes, but for that to happen, Nintendo had to produce 4 million or more units to have stock in stores and quite possibly have a few hundred thousand unit heavily discounted sitting at retail stores ... that would be great for us, the customers, but not as good for Ninty.

Nintendo doesn't gamble, they did great business with the Classic Mini. Resellers have deep pockets and if they decide that one product will be an easy sale, they could easily buy the entire production of the SNES Classic.

Nintendo could limit the sales to one console for person, but that would be stupid because they want to sell the stock ASAP, this is a product line that is hard to set up as a constant restock because the market is very limited and the novelty wears out. Serious classic games don't care that much for bad emulated classics on FPGAs as they usually have the original hardware and games... and if you have the original hardware you could purchase a rom cart and download any game you want and play it, illegally, on original hardware.

Don't get me wrong, the deal is really sweet, you have very cheap legal licenses of great games and I would love to see this at retail price, but this scenario is highly unlikely because you need to overproduce.

I prefer to invest the 80 usd on a video game or original vg soundtrack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    Yes, but for that to happen, Nintendo had to produce 4 million or more units to have stock in stores and quite possibly have a few hundred thousand unit heavily discounted sitting at retail stores ... that would be great for us, the customers, but not as good for Ninty.

Nintendo doesn't gamble, they did great business with the Classic Mini. Resellers have deep pockets and if they decide that one product will be an easy sale, they could easily buy the entire production of the SNES Classic.

Nintendo could limit the sales to one console for person, but that would be stupid because they want to sell the stock ASAP, this is a product line that is hard to set up as a constant restock because the market is very limited and the novelty wears out. Serious classic games don't care that much for bad emulated classics on FPGAs as they usually have the original hardware and games... and if you have the original hardware you could purchase a rom cart and download any game you want and play it, illegally, on original hardware.

Don't get me wrong, the deal is really sweet, you have very cheap legal licenses of great games and I would love to see this at retail price, but this scenario is highly unlikely because you need to overproduce.

I prefer to invest the 80 usd on a video game or original vg soundtrack
    It is obvious that there was more than enough demand out there for them to sell more than the 2 or so million consoles they produced. Exactly how much more I know not, but Nintendo obviously had the capabilities to produce and supply more units than they did. Unsold merchandise certainly is a risk, but I do not believe that it would have been a huge issue for a large company such as Nintendo. Each scalper which bought them paid retail price for them, and that is all which Nintendo received for each one. If Nintendo had made enough units to fulfill demand, they would have made more money than they did. Nintendo had every right to set the retail price higher than $60, but they did not.

Stores did attempt to limit sales, but the fact is that there was not enough supply to truly satisfy the actual demand at the retail level, and whatever did arrive in stores sold out in short order to people who lined up at opening time. Truly, the only winner in this entire scenario was the scalpers, and I was among the many losers, as was Nintendo themselves (self-inflicted). I can only hope that this entire debacle has been enough to sour those who were deprived of the opportunity to purchase a NES Classic Mini at the retail price, which means that the scalpers who attempt to replicate their earlier success with the SNES Classic Mini are unable to peddle their overpriced wares as they would see fit, leaving them to sell at a loss (or, at least, break even).

As for what to spend the money on, that is your decision. I was intrigued at the retro looks of the NES Classic Mini, as well as what Nintendo had on offer for the price they set. The last thing I need is another way to play Nintendo games, as I have several examples of the original hardware as well as numerous games, but I thought it would look nice next to the several Flashback consoles I own (same story). Nintendo's less-than-adequate supply and premature discontinuation deprived me of that opportunity, which I find extremely disappointing.
    -Adam

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Games:
    Star Fox 2, Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, F-Zero, Super Metroid, Super Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting, Super Punch Out, Super Castlevania IV, Donkey Kong Country, Mega Man X, Kirby Super Star, Final Fantasy III, Kirby's Dream Course, Star Fox, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Contra III: The Alien Wars, Secret of Mana, EarthBound, and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

Additionally, it will include a supposedly larger production run, two controllers each, and longer (5 foot) controller cables.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

We'll see about that larger production run! Someone mentioned this, but the real impetus is to appease their vendors, both brick and mortar and on-line. I think the first, best rumors out of E3 were from a Gamestop DM or Exec who said they were shown this behind closed doors. The key was it gets shoppers into the stores.

Frankly, if Nintendo were REALLY smart they would consider selling the NES Classic again.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yes, I agree with everyone regarding that Nintendo missed an opportunity to sell more units ... they actually did great with the licensing of the games included with the console, my point is that if Nintendo produced 5 million units, the resellers would buy them all, we are in a world where the global economy allows almost any person with money anywhere in the would can buy products online.

In Mexico we actually had these consoles and the official Nintendo distributors retail price was USD108 ... and they sold really fast ... to be resold, hahahaha. I think that all the hype and the awareness that the SNES Classic will be very hard to get is working for Nintendo and I assure you that the console will be sold out immediately no matter how big the production run is.

I hope that I am wrong and we can see the console for sale on Amazon or Gamestop at retail price, maybe in that case I will buy one just for the sake of supporting efforts on classic games, but the reality is that I don't see this market that big. Yes, you could sell 2 or 3 million, but I can't see going much bigger...

And I sure hope that the SNES Classic will be a much better product than the NES Mini, that had an ugly color palette (you could argue that it is the official, because its by Nintendo hehehe) and overall poor emulation, the sound really was very off sync ... and too much more details.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/27/ja...ame-selection/

The “Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Famicom” (its full name) gains three games that are clearly better known in Japan: Panel de Pon (a competitive Tetris-style game), Super Soccer and Legend of the Mystical Ninja.
    They come at a cost, though: Castlevania IV, Punch-Out! and Kirby’s Dream Course bite the dust.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/27/ja...ame-selection/

The “Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Famicom” (its full name) gains three games that are clearly better known in Japan: Panel de Pon (a competitive Tetris-style game), Super Soccer and Legend of the Mystical Ninja.
    They come at a cost, though: Castlevania IV, Punch-Out! and Kirby’s Dream Course bite the dust.
    Japan is also getting one of the Fire Emblem games and not getting Earthbound. I'm not sure how the writer of that article missed this. The version of Street Fighter 2 that Japan is getting is different from the one we are getting too.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Granted, there is Star Fox 2, but I noticed that a traditional shooter is missing! Let it be Axelay, Gradius III, Space Megaforce or R-Type III, one of them should have been included to represent this timeless genre. I would have thrown out one of the Kirby games for a great shmup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Granted, there is Star Fox 2, but I noticed that a traditional shooter is missing! Let it be Axelay, Gradius III, Space Megaforce or R-Type III, one of them should have been included to represent this timeless genre. I would have thrown out one of the Kirby games for a great shmup.
    I remember Axelay as an awesome game, I liked it much more than Gradius III ... but years after, I consider Gradius III a much superior game; it would be nice that the collection but I guess the lag of hdmi/lcd tv is a factor to consider when Nintendo did the selection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I'm interested but it will end up being a scalpers paradise.Not unless,nintendo can produce enough for the consumer to buy which i highly doubt.Still i find it odd it won't have DKC2&3 for that matter no mega man x 2&3 either.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    I'm interested but it will end up being a scalpers paradise.Not unless,nintendo can produce enough for the consumer to buy which i highly doubt.Still i find it odd it won't have DKC2&3 for that matter no mega man x 2&3 either.
    Megaman X1 is a perfect SNES game with a very accessible learning curve to its difficulty. X2 and X3 took the series in a sort of screwy direction with its music, ramped up difficulty and a few other little details- I love all three games to death but the latter two were meant for hardcore Megaman nerds and not really palatable for the casual consumer that the SNES Classic is likely intended for. Except most units will wind up in the hands of scalpers anyway so lolololo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    Megaman X1 is a perfect SNES game with a very accessible learning curve to its difficulty. X2 and X3 took the series in a sort of screwy direction with its music, ramped up difficulty and a few other little details- I love all three games to death but the latter two were meant for hardcore Megaman nerds and not really palatable for the casual consumer that the SNES Classic is likely intended for. Except most units will wind up in the hands of scalpers anyway so lolololo
    Yeah i see it will have the first mmx i just find it odd no parts 2&3,to round out the trilogy.The same can be said for donky kong county just part one and no 2&3 either.I don't know if i'll try to buy one when it comes out.I'm sure scalpers will snatch it up soon as possible for north america.Still i'm set with a SFC currently and a super everdrive.