Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I assume that Nintendo will release Starfox 2 later on down the road as a standard Virtual Console release. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't all the games on the NES classic edition already available on VC, as well as the other 20 on the SNES classic?

Strange that they both upped the price and dropped the number of included games, but I guess that shouldn't come as a surprise since Nintendo has always treated their back catalog as somewhat of a premium. Stark contrast to Sega who sells theirs for pennies on the dollar, bundling together everything but the kitchen sink.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Games:
    Star Fox 2, Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, F-Zero, Super Metroid, Super Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting, Super Punch Out, Super Castlevania IV, Donkey Kong Country, Mega Man X, Kirby Super Star, Final Fantasy III, Kirby's Dream Course, Star Fox, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Contra III: The Alien Wars, Secret of Mana, EarthBound, and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

Additionally, it will include a supposedly larger production run, two controllers each, and longer (5 foot) controller cables.
    What an amazing lineup!

The “Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Famicom” (its full name) gains three games that are clearly better known in Japan: Panel de Pon (a competitive Tetris-style game), Super Soccer and Legend of the Mystical Ninja.
    They come at a cost, though: Castlevania IV, Punch-Out! and Kirby’s Dream Course bite the dust.
    It SUUUUUUCKS that Super Castlevania IV got cut, but Legend of the Mystical Ninja!? That's one of my TOP favorite SNES games. Probably #1, honestly.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure about these re-releases :/ The games are still quite fun, sure, but spending all that money and having yet another console in the house? I don't think it's worth it. Let memories be memories.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by callofthemountains View Post
    I'm not sure about these re-releases :/ The games are still quite fun, sure, but spending all that money and having yet another console in the house? I don't think it's worth it. Let memories be memories.
    If you get it at retail, it's only $80 and the box is smaller than most cereal boxes.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You must have some weird cereal boxes. If the NES one is any indication it's like the size of like 3 3DS games on top of each other. Given the prices on all those games to buy online which is out of control, plus a legit final release of Starfox 2 it's so worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Hmm, I agree that there should be a shmup somewhere on the line-up, but I find it a bit more disappointing that we have Secret of Mana (Yay), FF 3 (with the glitches still intact, lol), and the wonder that is SMRPG, but not Chrono Trigger.

I'm also wondering how close to the original we're going to get. There's some stuff that emulation and releases on later hardware have damaged a bit. Aside from say, the Final Fantasy Anthology fiasco for 3/VI, there's some small but irritating things I've found. A relatively big one is in Mega Man X, where you can get the buster upgrade in the Flame Mammoth stage. On the original, it's very doable, but on both the emulator I tried out and the PS2 compilation, it's become maddeningly frustrating (probably FPS shenanigans at work). I know that it's a fairly minor thing to get agitated about, but it does bother me a bit.

The scalpers are going to make bank regardless, and will do so even if Nintendo wises up and makes a bigger production run (4.5 M would be a nice starting point). I didn't pay attention to the NES Mini too much since there wasn't a whole lot that interested me, but I can tell you that there was a surprisingly high number of people IRL around here that got upset over the discontinuation. These weren't retro fans or even hardcore gamers, just ordinary dudes that wanted to fire up the old toaster and smash some goombas or something once in a while. Nintendo missed out on some sales, and worse, we as a community missed out on a shot at growing a bit.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Chrono is grossly overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but it's also just a footnote in history that didn't go anywhere. FF is still kicking as is the Mana franchise so they make sense and the Mario one is kind of a gimme considering the heritage on that one.

It was pretty galling and stupid they didn't put Gradius III on there given Gradius made it on the NES game. Beautiful game with big stages, great use of color and audio, but at the same time I figure it probably had to do with those couple instances of graphics glitching on the big plant boss and the overized bubble boss too as that wouldn't present well and have a bunch of call in whiners (though I imagine it could have been cleaned up.) Leaving that out still Axelay would have been totally cool as a swap out.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Could be they didn't want Gradius III do to it's original slowdown, but should have been an alternative.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

(After five minutes of confused frothing fanboy noises)

Hearing the Chrono series called a footnote of history is actually deliciously ironic when you think about it. Anyway, I mean less "Chrono Trigger deserves a lineup spot because it's superawesome" than "We have the other big Square RPGs here, why not Chrono Trigger?" It's just an odd omission. I still agree that a shmup should have been included. Maybe not Gradius III (the issues presented sound like straight porting issues, which an emulator like the Mini would probably make worse), but something like UN Squadron, what have you.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Let me preface this by saying that the SNES is handily my favorite console.

The Super Nintendo doesn't have any worthwhile shooters to include over the superior platforming and RPG games. Gradius III is fun, but is honestly one of the least interesting and creative of the bunch. The cream of the crop are basically Space Megaforce, Pop'n Twinbee, R-Type III, Aero Fighters, and Gradius III. It's one area where the system was absolutely beaten to a pulp by the Genesis and Turbografx, and it wasn't close. If I was gonna pick one, it'd be R-Type III for the US, but they aren't screwing us by not including a shooter that doesn't make the top ten on either the Genesis or Turbo.

I agree that Chrono Trigger is obscenely overrated. It's a good RPG. Really good, even. I think they made the right call on what to include here. I mean, Turtles in Time and Pocky & Rocky are some of my favorites, but the selection on this is rock solid... not that it'll be available.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

They should have included Zero Wing.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SNES has such a great and varied game library that there will always be something missing, even if Nintendo would have (and they should have) put 30 games on the system.

I mentioned before that on this SNES compilation is a shoot-em-up missing because shmups were such an important part of every system during the 16bit-era, maybe even more important than in the 8bit-rea. One of the great shmups should have been included just to represent such an important (and timeless) genre.

I would have been satisfied with either of the great shmups, but personally I would have preferred either Axelay or Space Megaforce which are still my favorites today.

Cerelerystalker, I think that a R-Type III or Space Megaforce can compete with the best of the Genesis or Turbografix shmups, but overall the Gnesis had the better library for this genre for sure.

I'm not terribly excited about the SNES classic mini. The reason are the foreseeable shortages and the terrible ebay scalpers who become more and more of a problem for gamers and collectors today. I don't have a NES Classic mini, and if I get a SNES classic mini this will be good, if not, this will be good, too.
    Last edited by lendelin; 07-26-2017 at 01:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    They should have included Zero Wing.
    Somebody set up us the troll. All your game are belong to Genesis.

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
    Somebody set up us the troll. All your game are belong to Genesis.
    Well, Mega Drive, anyway. To the best of my knowledge, the infamous translation port was only released for the European market, since Williams had the arcade distribution rights for the US (and apparently didn't bother to port it to any consoles, for some reason). Why ZW wasn't ported to the Super Famicom, I have no idea. Goofy engrish aside, it's actually a rather fun game in its own right.
    -Adam
    "You have no chance for release, make your time.........."

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snes-classic-ed-v2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	10345

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo
    We appreciate the incredible anticipation that exists for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition system, and can confirm that it will be made available for pre-order by various retailers late this month.

A significant amount of additional systems will be shipped to stores for launch day, and throughout the balance of the calendar year.
    Source: https://m.facebook.com/Nintendo/phot...38963326188116

Time to bust out the Scalper-B-Gon.

After a false start, Nintendo of America has confirmed preorders for the SNES Classic will begin before the end of August.

NoA made the statement on their Facebook page today, promising a "significant" number of systems for launch day and the balance of the year.

Walmart's online store listed preorders for the system on the evening of July 21, but these orders ended up being cancelled due to what the mega-retailer called a "site glitch".
    Source: https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...ter-this-month

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Let's hope they're honest about that.

They do tend to be when they have to repetitively over the years re-learn the same lesson.

First they short supply and people get PISSED (Wii), then the door swings the other way and they over do it (WiiU and 3DS) and then (for WiiU) have to stop production to move them out or lower price (3DS) to get them to roll out big time. SO then the door swings back again into stupid (Amiibo wave1 year long drought) and make people mad. So now we have the Switch and it is a lot more prolific, but not as much as it should be due to NAND shortage (which isn't their fault for once) and then back again with the NES CE and the fury.

We're due for another uptick in Nintendo production runs on a wanted item.

...and I agree Space Megaforce would have been perfect for the SNES CE other than it being an under the radar classic for most unlike anything else on that box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    (blinking avatar)
    Is there anything more obnoxious than a blinking avatar?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

A blinking signature, would you like me to add one?

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    Is there anything more obnoxious than a blinking avatar?
    What about this as an avatar:

Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    The SNES has such a great and varied game library that there will always be something missing, even if Nintendo would have (and they should have) put 30 games on the system.

I mentioned before that on this SNES compilation is a shoot-em-up missing because shmups were such an important part of every system during the 16bit-era, maybe even more important than in the 8bit-rea. One of the great shmups should have been included just to represent such an important (and timeless) genre.

I would have been satisfied with either of the great shmups, but personally I would have preferred either Axelay or Space Megaforce which are still my favorites today.

Cerelerystalker, I think that a R-Type III or Space Megaforce can compete with the best of the Genesis or Turbografix shmups, but overall the Gnesis had the better library for this genre for sure.

I'm not terribly excited about the SNES classic mini. The reason are the foreseeable shortages and the terrible ebay scalpers who become more and more of a problem for gamers and collectors today. I don't have a NES Classic mini, and if I get a SNES classic mini this will be good, if not, this will be good, too.
    StarFox isn't a shmup? :P

Among the other suggestions, maybe Pocky & Rocky 1 would've been a good choice?
    I mean, Natsume released the GBA P&R on Wii U VC, despite that it's not the game people wanted (being a port of the original 1986 arcade game that few heard of and is comparatively dull). Though even on easy SNES P&R killed me. Fun but it seemed like it really wanted to be played a co-op game.
    And I mean the original is one of those that skyrocketed in price, from like a $15 game to a $100+, never mind the sequel that people say is not nearly as good despite its even more astronomical price.