StarFox isn't a shmup? :P
    rail shooter ≠ shoot-em-up

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Important information for gamers and collectors:

Gamestop opened the pre-orders for the SNES Classic Mini just two hours ago. Don't know if that's online or just in-store.

I completed my pre-order at my local Gamestop. It seems (I might be wrong) that it will be as crazy as the NES Classic Mini, at least there is uncertainty which of course drives the rarity hype and all the dumbness (including ebay scalpers, see the NES Classic mini and Limited Run games) no matter how many consoles Nintendo produces.

So get it and don't hesitate before some lazy ebay scalpers scoop them up.

Let's hope this one won't be an ebay scalpers paradise.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Bad news: Amazon (online), Best Buy (online), GameStop (online), and GameStop stores (offline) have sold all of their pre-orders of the SNES CE and in just about two hours. My local GS store sold all of its allotted 6 within only 1 hour.

Good news: Toys 'r' Us is not selling pre-orders, so there is hope for buying one at launch on Sep. 29th. Also, GS stores will have additional SNES CE for sale in-store on launch day.

But... how long before the first listing is spotted on eBay?

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    I give it about an hour after launch. Less if the seller is greedy enough to post the auction from their car on the way home..........

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Bad news: Amazon (online), Best Buy (online), GameStop (online), and GameStop stores (offline) have sold all of their pre-orders of the SNES CE and in just about two hours. My local GS store sold all of its allotted 6 within only 1 hour.

Good news: Toys 'r' Us is not selling pre-orders, so there is hope for buying one at launch on Sep. 29th. Also, GS stores will have additional SNES CE for sale in-store on launch day.

You can add Target and Walmart to the list of on-line retailers that sold out yesterday as well. Walmart literally lasted a minute and Target was in and out of stock for maybe 10 minutes, although you could do a trick that sometimes allowed you to preorder one later in the day. There are plenty of them on Ebay now at crazy markup, as well as a number that have sold in the $200-$300 range. I was pretty disgusted with Gamestop in particular that sold outrageously priced bundles through Gamestop.com (well the app anyway because the site crashed) and ThinkGeek. Gamestop also required a $25 deposit in stores which is pretty offensive.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Well I think actual fans/collectors did okay on the BB and Amazon listings because they happened in the middle of the night. I got one from BB, being alerted just before going to bed. The others went live midday, and a LOT of people knew about it. The fact that Nintendo is probably ONLY making a few hundred thousand available at launch worldwide is the problem.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Well I think actual fans/collectors did okay on the BB and Amazon listings because they happened in the middle of the night. I got one from BB, being alerted just before going to bed. The others went live midday, and a LOT of people knew about it. The fact that Nintendo is probably ONLY making a few hundred thousand available at launch worldwide is the problem.
    There was a lot of scalper abuse on the Amazon listing as people on various forums were posting receipts showing orders of 30-50 units each. It sounds like Amazon has been cancelling many of them if you went over 2-3 units, so I expect those will go back up on release day perhaps for Prime members only like they did with the Switch and certain Amiibos. Best Buy imposed a limit of two from the outset, which seems reasonable to me and you're right that if you were made aware of the sale within a reasonable time of it going live, you could get one from them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SNES mini has a great line-up of games. It would have been nice to add some more games to bring it up to 25. As others have mentioned, maybe a shooter like Axelay. Super Star Wars would have been a good addition as well.

Ah, who am I kidding, I'll never get one anyway. I refuse to pay scalper prices.
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm going to keep attempting on it to pay retail, I have to. It's not about the released games to me, that's covered, but the legit release of starfox 2 denied so long and much teased in Nintendo Power I feel I have to get it to really play that thing thoroughly through and through. I was able to get two of the NES systems, one as it came out, one a day or two after they canned it locally for my kid which she still plays with. I'll get it, somehow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I'm going to keep attempting on it to pay retail, I have to. It's not about the released games to me, that's covered, but the legit release of starfox 2 denied so long and much teased in Nintendo Power I feel I have to get it to really play that thing thoroughly through and through. I was able to get two of the NES systems, one as it came out, one a day or two after they canned it locally for my kid which she still plays with. I'll get it, somehow.
    SNES Classic Mini released.
    SNES Classic Mini impossible to find at retail due to Nintendo's BS.
    StarFox 2 ROM extracted from SNES Classic Mini.
    SNES Classic Mini discontinued in less than a year.
    No guilt for playing StarFox 2 Classic Mini ROM on an emulator or flash cartridge.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    No guilt for playing StarFox 2 Classic Mini ROM on an emulator or flash cartridge.
    Uncertain of any flash cartridges that support Super FX games, but for certain there's going to be a buttload of reproduction hackjobs on eBay once the rom's extracted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    Uncertain of any flash cartridges that support Super FX games, but for certain there's going to be a buttload of reproduction hackjobs on eBay once the rom's extracted.
    Ah, softmodded Xbox or Wii or whatever will suffice then. The prototype translation / fix runs pretty decent on an old softmodded Xbox.

Either way, the extraction of that ROM is what I'm looking forward to. If I could easily grab the system at retail I would but we know that's not how it's going to be and it'll have a short production life.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 09-02-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Well, I chewed on it for a very good while last month, and made a decision. Hunting down a SNES CE was going to take an amount of effort and resources that would be better spent on either adding to my Backlog of Glory or (a random example) getting the sourcebooks and gear to make my 40k collection current again or something. If I was going to bother at all, I need to just do it right the first time.

So I snapped up a regular SNES so I could play what the hell I wanted, instead of being restricted by what was living on the CE's firmware or whatever. Yes, the lack of Chrono Trigger on the CE was a factor, but there were other ones. Robotrek, Lufia, the Super Star Wars trilogy, Secret of Evermore, Breath of Fire 1 and 2, Illusion of Gaia, maybe even Axelay or UN Squadron. Maybe even Addams Family Values (pretty much Zelda or IoG, but you play as a Sith Lord) or Joe and Mac. If I'm going to be a lunatic, I want to at least do it on my own terms, y'know?
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

As I'm sure most know by now, Nintendo announced that the NES Classic Mini will RETURN to production, for a Summer 2018 release! In addition, SNES Classic Mini's will continue to be produced and sold through 2018 as well!

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-bringing...018-1803771394
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

A press statement just released by Nintendo of America has confirmed that the Super Nintendo Classic Mini system will continue production into 2018, after originally planning to cut off at the end of this year. NoA is also promising to ship more units on launch day (September 29) than were shipped for the NES Classic Mini in all of 2016 and to keep the unit in high supply while shipments are available.

The NES Classic Mini will also have a new printing next summer. More specific timing on the re-release will be announced later.
    http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/n...rn-next-summer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    As I'm sure most know by now, Nintendo announced that the NES Classic Mini will RETURN to production, for a Summer 2018 release! In addition, SNES Classic Mini's will continue to be produced and sold through 2018 as well!

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-bringing...018-1803771394
    Worthless without hard manufacturing numbers. All this does is give all the scalpers cause to high five one another, their golden goose is getting ready to lay another batch of eggs for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, I subscribe to this magazine from the UK called RetroGamer. When I received this month's issue, included in the bag was an issue of SuperPlay!

http://www.gamingenterprisesinc.com/...perPlay_48.JPG

It basically covers all the games that will be included in the SNES mini system. It's about 50 pages. Pretty cool!
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Worthless without hard manufacturing numbers. All this does is give all the scalpers cause to high five one another, their golden goose is getting ready to lay another batch of eggs for them.
    I just hope Nintendo manages to come through, and the scalpers are the ones left laying eggs. Of course, given Nintendo's recent track record with getting decent quantities of their hardware releases into stores, one can never be sure..........

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gameofyou View Post
    When I received this month's issue, included in the bag was an issue of SuperPlay! It basically covers all the games that will be included in the SNES mini system. It's about 50 pages. Pretty cool!
    Hey, thanks, that is cool!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I actually talked this over with some IRL friends, and we decided we'll be cautiously excited until further notice. I hope that they don't botch it with a another short production run; artificial, induced scarcity like that is infuriating.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.