Thread: Odyssey 100-5000 Schematics

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Odyssey 100-5000 Schematics

The schematics for the original Odyssey are available online as are the schematics for the Oydssey2. However, I can't find schematics for the Odyssey 100-5000 systems. I'm not sure if my google fu is failing me or if this information really has been lost. If you have any knowledge on where any of these might be found then please let me know.

I'm planning on starting several projects with the Odyssey systems and while the original machine should keep me busy for a while, I figured that I should probably think ahead to see what's available for the dedicated machines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, in case anyone is curious about this. I've done a little research, and discovered the actual Magnavox model numbers for the Odysseys 100, 200, & 300. This information isn't contained on any of the websites that talk about these system. These model numbers are:

100: YF7010-ORF1
    200: YF7015-WHF1
    300: BG7500-YE01

That allowed me to do a web search and discover the schematics for the 100 and 200 (had to pay for it). Unfortunately the scans were too wide for a single page, so they were each scanned as two pages. The problem is that whoever scanned them didn't ensure that there was overlap in the middle, so each of them is actually missing a portion of information in the middle. The schematic portion of the 100 is fine, but the troubleshooting data is missing quite a few words in the middle of sentences and some parts information. For the 200, I'm missing a portion of the schematic, which is kind of a problem.

For the 300, a nice person on Facebook sent me some photos of a schematic that he's apparently had for years. He doesn't remember where he got them from, but the person who took those pictures at least understood about having overlap. I can provide a link to those below for anyone curious:

http://42cast.com/wp-content/uploads...13977292_o.jpg
    http://42cast.com/wp-content/uploads...42402759_n.jpg

Needless to say, I'll continue looking for better images, especially since I'll want to share these on my website, but for now these are adequate.
    Listen to The 42cast, Your Ultimate Answer to Fandom, Geekiness, and Everything. www.42cast.com
    Coming soon: The Video Game Archive - www.vgarchive.com

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I'd be surprised if Pong Story didn't have any schematics or other documentation on these things; have you tried contacting the webmaster? I have both an Odyssey 100 and 300, in addition to the original system. The 100 is apparently similar to the original system to some extent, though simplified. The 300 uses a GI 'Pong-on-a-chip' IC, so a schematic for one of the numerous AY-3-8500-based clones shouldn't be too far off. Good luck!
    -Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    I'd be surprised if Pong Story didn't have any schematics or other documentation on these things; have you tried contacting the webmaster? I have both an Odyssey 100 and 300, in addition to the original system. The 100 is apparently similar to the original system to some extent, though simplified. The 300 uses a GI 'Pong-on-a-chip' IC, so a schematic for one of the numerous AY-3-8500-based clones shouldn't be too far off. Good luck!
    -Adam
    Actually, I did contact him. He says that he has them in storage somewhere and doesn't feel inclined to go dig them up. He suggested that I contact ebay sellers who regularly sell Magnavox consoles. I'll take him up on that. I also have one potential secret resource that I don't want to disclose yet, because if it pans out could give me a scoop not only on some technical data but also on some gaming history. So far, though, the trick seems to be finding out the internal Magnavox model number such as YF7010. Once I have that, it seems relatively easy to look up on websites that collect schematics/manuals for old equipment.
    Listen to The 42cast, Your Ultimate Answer to Fandom, Geekiness, and Everything. www.42cast.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Update: I now have the schematics to all of the Odyssey units except for the 4000. For whatever reason my source didn't have that one. They also thought that they had the 300, but seem to have misplaced it, so the only version of the 300 that I have is the photograph that someone took of one for me. I'm hoping to replace it with a greater quality one at some point, and need to find any 4000 in the wild. Whatever I find, the best quality copies will be available on my website once it launches.

Now, though, because I'm an insane completist I'm off on an Ahab like quest to track down the service manual for the model 4305 television. It must have one. There's no way that Magnavox sunk in the cost to make a TV with a built in video game system and not have a service manual. The question is, have any of them survived the test of time? Seeing as how it didn't take me too long to find the Odyssey schematics I'm optomistic that this may survive somewhere.

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dastari View Post
    Update: I now have the schematics to all of the Odyssey units except for the 4000. For whatever reason my source didn't have that one. They also thought that they had the 300, but seem to have misplaced it, so the only version of the 300 that I have is the photograph that someone took of one for me. I'm hoping to replace it with a greater quality one at some point, and need to find any 4000 in the wild. Whatever I find, the best quality copies will be available on my website once it launches.

Now, though, because I'm an insane completist I'm off on an Ahab like quest to track down the service manual for the model 4305 television. It must have one. There's no way that Magnavox sunk in the cost to make a TV with a built in video game system and not have a service manual. The question is, have any of them survived the test of time? Seeing as how it didn't take me too long to find the Odyssey schematics I'm optomistic that this may survive somewhere.
    If anyone had them, it'd probably be Howard Sams. You might need to track down chassis number info, as you did for the other Odyssey systems (this YouTube video mentions the number 3616R061A in the description, though I dunno if it's a chassis number, serial number, or what), and the TV and game portions may have separate manuals. This site claims to have downloads of the owners manuals (two different versions, for some reason) available, but they want $29.95 for them, and I have no real idea of the relevancy (Philips/Magnavox made several TVs with '4305' as part of the model number over the years).

Pong-Story mentions that the circuitry inside is equivalent to the Odyssey 300, though the 4305 pictures and videos I've seen show a color screen, so they may have used a different GI Pong chip like the AY-3-8512. This site mentions that the 4305 may have had a European equivalent as the "Philips Philetta 405", so that's an additional keyword you could use. Good luck!
    -Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    If anyone had them, it'd probably be Howard Sams. You might need to track down chassis number info, as you did for the other Odyssey systems (this YouTube video mentions the number 3616R061A in the description, though I dunno if it's a chassis number, serial number, or what), and the TV and game portions may have separate manuals. This site claims to have downloads of the owners manuals (two different versions, for some reason) available, but they want $29.95 for them, and I have no real idea of the relevancy (Philips/Magnavox made several TVs with '4305' as part of the model number over the years).

Pong-Story mentions that the circuitry inside is equivalent to the Odyssey 300, though the 4305 pictures and videos I've seen show a color screen, so they may have used a different GI Pong chip like the AY-3-8512. This site mentions that the 4305 may have had a European equivalent as the "Philips Philetta 405", so that's an additional keyword you could use. Good luck!
    -Adam
    Thanks. Samswebsite is actually what I've been using, but I'll look for that other info as well. I know someone who claims to have the 300 and 4000 schematics, so I'll see about those, and we're both looking for the 4305 now.