Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Atari's Atari Box (2017) Atari VCS (2018)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    They said there was "one thing" that has delayed their launch. I'd prefer a delay (or possible cancellation) instead of something badly made/released.
    If you've been following the thread over on Atari Age at all, it's pretty clear that this isn't some minor thing. There is no evidence that a prototype has been created and all that the "insiders" familiar working with the creators of the project seem to have seen is video of the outer shell and the controller, but nothing with regard to the innards of the system itself. It's pretty remarkable how closely this has followed the Coleco Chameleon playbook.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

So whats going on with this thing?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

If only we knew...

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

This sounds like the 2018 "Atari VCS" console is having an identity crisis:
    GDC 2018: The Atari VCS Probably Isn't What You Think It Is
    Who will actually be interested in the VCS?
    By Tom Marks

At GDC this week, I got an up-close look at the Atari VCS. Atari’s upcoming home machine, originally referred to simply as the ‘Atari Box’, is very different from what I was expecting, and it’s likely not what you think it is either.

It’s not Atari’s version of the NES Mini, it’s not a console trying to compete with the Xbox One or PS4, and it’s not really an Atari-Ouya. Put as simply as possible, the Atari VCS is a Linux-based living room PC, similar to Atari’s take on a Steam Machine. The version I saw was just for display, but I got a rundown of what to expect in the final product.

Running a custom version of Linux, the VCS will have a console-like interface aimed at being accessible and inviting to a wider, non-gaming audience. It will also come with some classic Atari arcade games (though we don’t know exactly what) and have its own store to buy games that aren’t just retro, but modern titles as well.

Caption: Atari Connect COO Michael Arzt said 'I don't think it's as ambitious as a Steam [Machine].'

That said, the VCS is targeting a significantly lower price point than most modern PCs, between $250 and $300, and will have no dedicated GPU, meaning it will likely also be substantially less powerful. Atari Connect COO Michael Arzt compared it to “a good laptop without a keyboard” — though exactly how good is an unanswered question, and when it comes to modern games there’s a big difference between powering Into The Breach and Assassin’s Creed Origins.

Despite having its own streamlined interface, game store, media apps (like Netflix and Hulu), and internet browser, Arzt says they are more interested in calling the VCS a computer instead of a console. I asked if it was then closer to a Steam Machine than the NES Mini, and he said “yeah, but I don’t think it’s as ambitious as a Steam [Machine].”

Artz explained that “it’s a much more casual device.” Atari wants this to be a system that anyone can easily plug in, understand, and start using right away. He gave an example explaining that they want moms to be able to turn on the VCS and easily find Netflix, but they also want to attract a younger audience that might only know of Atari’s veteran reputation.

Caption: The Atari VCS likely won't have access to Steam, unless you install your own OS in its sandbox mode.

And for the more hardcore audience out there, there will be a sandbox environment built in that will allow you to run and modify the Linux operating system, making it a more traditional PC if you have the know-how to do so. Since it’s marketed as being usable for modern games too, I asked Artz if you could access your Steam library with it as well, and he said the sandbox mode would likely be the only place to do so unless they strike a deal with Valve.

Honestly, all these different factors have left me wondering who the heck the Atari VCS is actually for. It’s not trying to compete with consoles, but has features and a price point similar to them. It’s less hardcore and ambitious than Valve's already failed Steam Machines experiment, but invites PC gamers to control and customize its OS despite likely having an underpowered and unchangeable hardware configuration. And it wants to be a casual, easy to use entertainment system option for the masses like a ChromeCast or Roku, but is selling itself as a full PC under a gaming brand.

It’s hard to make any real judgments until we know the final specs of what will actually be inside the VCS' admittedly lovely shell. It could be that Atari manages to strike some miraculous balance of price and power that makes it a desirable living room PC, but that seems hard to believe. Even if they do, you’ll be beholden to whatever apps, games, and custom UI Atari has made available unless you install your own Linux OS, which isn't exactly a friendly process.

I’m left skeptical because I genuinely don’t know who the Atari VCS is being made for. There are stronger living room PC options, better consoles, and cheaper ways to get access to entertainment apps on your TV. Atari seems to be leaning into the nostalgia-factor while retreading the same ground as the Ouya and SteamOS, which aren’t exactly the most appealing footsteps to follow in, and the uncertainty of its last-minute cancellation and unfinished spec list don't instill much confidence.
    Source with images: http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/...ou-think-it-is

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

From the official Atari e-mail newsletter at [ https://us16.campaign-archive.com/?u...d&e=2b7481dc1c ]:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7c1d1170-357b-410d-a8b9-d5293b2b0b47.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	10530

Atari VCS Pre-Orders Open May 30 Are you ready for a new high score?

Atari VCS™ Pre-Sale Opens May 30th on Indiegogo!
    Featuring The Limited Atari VCS Collector's Edition
    Special Retro-Inspired Wood Front and Certificate of Authenticity

Early Bird packages Start at $199 for Atari VCS Onyx
    Updated Classic Joystick and Modern Controller Also Available to Order

Enjoy the Linux-powered Atari VCS to play, create or port your own games and multimedia content.

Many popular modern titles will be playable on Atari VCS.
    As an homage to our past, every Atari VCS includes
    the Atari Vault of more than 100 classic games.
    Play all-time arcade and home entertainment favorites like Asteroids®, Centipede®, Breakout®, Missile Command®, Gravitar® and Yars’ Revenge®

A completely modern connected device, the new VCS was designed in California by Atari. The company is partnered with AMD, who provides the VCS custom processor with Radeon Graphics Technology. The Atari VCS platform will offer support for 4K resolution, HDR and 60FPS content, onboard and expandable storage options, dual-band Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 5.0, as well as USB 3.0 support. A complete list of Atari VCS product specs will be posted at the time of pre-sale.

Atari appreciates your support and intense curiosity about VCS games and content, hardware specifications, production timelines and other key information. We're confident that we are putting the right pieces in place for a successful product and launch!

When the Atari VCS Pre-Sale goes live, access it here:

Pre-Order Link
    Here's the Indiegogo link for future crowdfunding pledges / pre-orders for May 30th.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I kind of want to be excited for this, but I also want to know what it'll actually do first. I know there is a lot of skepticism surrounding this project, and with good reason. Especially since people have been burned in the past with crowdfunding and being dragged through big failed projects. If it just plays old Atari games, I already have about 200+ cartridges. If it plays indie games, I already have a PS4 and Switch for that. I also have more than enough streaming devices for pretty much anything I could want. It would really need some things that I wouldn't be able to get from anywhere else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

At least the controllers look kind of cool. It's still a wait and see item though.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Why are they calling this the VCS? That came out 41 years ago.
    Looking for:
    Chūka Taisen (Cloud Master) manuals
    Monon Color + games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by The S View Post
    Why are they calling this the VCS? That came out 41 years ago.
    well... its kinda like... i dont know

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

"Many popular modern titles will be playable on Atari VCS."

So either we are getting another port of Skyrim... or Angry Birds

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bb_hood For This Useful Post:

Cornelius (05-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I'm actually starting to think freaking Mike Kennedy got further along with his project than these idiots.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

The newest newsletter - 10 hour countdown!

Let the Games Begin in...
    countdownmail.com
    Click When Timer Hits 00:00:00:00
    IMPORTANT: Click the Red Bar above at exactly 6 AM PT / 9 AM ET to unlock a "Secret Perk" that will appear at the top of the right-hand column on the Atari VCS Indiegogo page.
    Atari VCS Pre-Orders Open Tomorrow,
    May 30, at 6 AM PT / 9 AM ET
    As one of our earliest supporters, you'll be among the first to know the moment pre-orders go live, so watch your inbox! The best discounts are extremely limited, so be ready to act quickly when the timer hits zero!
    Everything Looks Better in Onyx

Clicking on the Red Bar when the timer runs out will reveal your "Secret Perk" and lock in your "insider" price for 7 days. You'll get a 33% discount off the sleek, futuristic Atari VCS Onyx, dropping the price to just $199.

Discount units will also be available to non-subscribers while supplies last, but your secret perk link guarantees a discount for a full week!
    Click When Timer Hits 00:00:00:00
    Collector's Edition with Wood Front

When the Pre-Sale goes live, you'll be one of the first to be able to purchase the Atari 2600-inspired Atari VCS Collector's Edition with wood front panel for just $299, exclusively available on Indiegogo.

Did we mention it comes with a FREE Classic Joystick to let you relive the glory days of classic videos games? Get ready!
    Source: https://mailchi.mp/atari/pre-orders-...w?e=2b7481dc1c

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I find any product that needs this much pre-release hype is doomed. Just bring the thing to market and let the people decide if they want it.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I meant to post this news early this morning when the goal was quickly met and the numbers were highly successful but still lower than they are now. Anyway, as of this post, here's the stats for this project:

$1,836,802 USD raised by 7014 backers
    1837% of $100,000 flexible goal
    A month left
    This was also posted two hours ago:

Thanks to your extraordinary support and relentless passion for Atari VCS this morning, we actually crashed Indiegogo, an exciting (though briefly terrifying) feat we couldn’t possibly have imagined!

Thank you all for your patience while we work in tandem with the Indiegogo team to solve issues with load time, billing and more. We hear your comments, emails and messages loud and clear and are committed to resolving these issues with the Indiegogo team However, please note that as we were unaware this would happen, it will take some time to get back to everyone. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding - it means the world to us.

Now, on to the good stuff...

We’re so glad that you have joined us for the next generation of Atari gaming. This is just the beginning! A ton of community support has poured in after just the first 8 hours of the campaign going live. We’ve spent the last year developing the Atari VCS and will continue making sure it’s a video game and entertainment system that brings together the classic experiences you already know and the thrills of modern gaming you’ve come to love. We know you will treasure the memories you’ll make with this new platform, just as so many of you did with the original Atari consoles. We can’t wait to send it right to your doorstep next summer!

Game on,
    Team Atari VCS
    The project on Indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...-computers-pc/

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I smell an ouya...

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

As someone who hasn't paid much attention to the whole bouncing around of the Atari name, what is even going on with Atari now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

So they raised almost 3 million.

Im wondering, at this point, how much of the working system is actually designed.
    Is the 3 million going to go to the actual production of the final product or will that be used to fund the development of the system and games?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    So they raised almost 3 million.

Im wondering, at this point, how much of the working system is actually designed.
    Is the 3 million going to go to the actual production of the final product or will that be used to fund the development of the system and games?
    I think it's pretty clear that nothing has been developed yet and there is no planned game development, other than Atari Vault and Tempest 4K (which has already been finished for other platforms and will need to be ported to Linux). They are hoping third parties will step up, but with under 10K consoles sold through the crowdfunding, I can't imagine anyone will take them up on it. I suspect that if they deliver anything at all, it will just be an off-the-shelf solution in an Atari branded case with no real proprietary interface.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I seem to remember reading somewhere they have been testing with linux games on Steam and GOG, so there is that. And with modern game development tools, you can simply change your build output checkbox from PC, mac, android, ps4, or whatever to linux, make a few changes as needed, and you've got yourself an Ataribox game. So it's not like third party developers are going to have to risk a lot of time and money on a doomed console.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I seem to remember reading somewhere they have been testing with linux games on Steam and GOG, so there is that. And with modern game development tools, you can simply change your build output checkbox from PC, mac, android, ps4, or whatever to linux, make a few changes as needed, and you've got yourself an Ataribox game. So it's not like third party developers are going to have to risk a lot of time and money on a doomed console.
    Your understanding of what it takes to make a game developed for another platform work on Linux is way off. There are many libraries and plug-ins that are specific to Windows and other operating systems that can't be covered easily over to Linux. There is a reason you can't find Linux versions of some of the biggest titles and that groups of enthusiasts spend a lot of time trying to make specific games work. Unity helps, but it's not as easy as just changing the target platform. In any event, the small install base if the thing ever even ships isn't going to be attractive to developers that already don't bother to support the much larger Linux base out there.