Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Atari's Atari Box (2017) Atari VCS (2018)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Atari's Atari Box (2017) Atari VCS (2018)

https://www.ataribox.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WNsmCpdhhY

https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/16/a...-game-console/

Atari CEO confirms the company is working on a new game console
    Dean Takahashi

Atari CEO Fred Chesnais told GamesBeat in an exclusive interview that his fabled video game company is working on a new game console.

In doing so, the New York company might be cashing in on the popularity of retro games and Nintendo’s NES Classic Edition, which turned out to be surprisingly popular for providing a method to easily play old games like Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda in HD on a TV.

Last week, Atari began teasing a new product called the Ataribox.The video released on a non-Atari web site showed a picture of some kind of hardware product, but many people wondered if the teaser was fake. Others had no idea what the video was showing about a “brand new Atari product years in the making.”

After all, nobody makes a game console with wood-grain siding. But at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), Chesnais told me that the rumors are true.

“We’re back in the hardware business,” he said.

Chesnais declined to describe a lot of details about the console. But he said it is based on PC technology. He said Atari is still working on the design and will reveal it at a later date.

Chesnais said that Atari’s revival is well under way. Atari filed for bankruptcy protection in 2013, but Chesnais bought it and pledged to make it great again. The company is now profitable, and it is engaged in making mobile games. It is licensing its brands more widely, such as licensing its Atari name for the upcoming Blade Runner 2049 movie.
    Last edited by Nz17; 05-01-2018 at 03:28 AM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I thought I read Atari's "bankruptcy" was some kind of move to divorce itself of its French parent (the former Infogrammes).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

So how will this be different to the many Flashback consoles?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    I thought I read Atari's "bankruptcy" was some kind of move to divorce itself of its French parent (the former Infogrammes).
    No, it was filed for the usual reason, couldn't pay it's bills. The Infogrammes name is gone, their French-based and NYC-based holdings are all labeled Atari now. The US-effort is helmed by Fred Chesnais.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

This got me thinking about how LONG it's been since Atari was a successful company, although it's more recent than most people realize. (The modern "Atari" has been a third party publisher, and traces its roots to GT Interactive)

The original Atari hit its peak in late 1982; on December 7, 1982, Atari's earnings report came in weaker than expected, thus beginning Atari's slow decline. Atari's home computer lines helped it weather the video game crash, although the company was significantly weakened and ended up sold by Warner Communications to Jack Tramiel. One could say the "Golden Age" of Atari was about 1980-1982.

Atari staged a modest recovery in the mid-late 1980s, they were able to milk a few more sales out of the 2600, the 7800 was profitable, and they still raked in significant sales of computers including the ST and 8-bit line. Per Wikipedia, Tramiel-era (post-1984) Atari's profits peaked at $452 million in 1988. One could say the "Silver Age" of Atari was about 1986-1989. If I had to put an end date on Atari's success, it would be about 1990. The Wintel platform buried Atari's computer line. Both the 2600 and 7800 were discontinued after 1991. The Lynx pioneered color in portable consoles but couldn't compete with the Sega Game Gear which came out in 1991, let alone the Game Boy. After 1993 all Atari had was the Jaguar which sold 0 units (rounded to the nearest half-million).

With the Atari Box, the new Atari will become a hardware manufacturer like the old Atari was. Since we haven't had any successful Atari hardware in my lifetime, I really hope this thing becomes successful. Perhaps we could have a four-way console race with Sony, Microsoft, Atari, and Nintendo?

All four have done pioneering work in the video game industry; Atari made the first successful console (PONG) and first successful console with interchangeable cartridges (Atari 2600), Nintendo brought back the video game market with the NES; Sony greatly expanded its target audience with the PlayStation; and Microsoft made online gaming successful with the Xbox. Now all we need is Sega.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Atari's last huge thing probably when they sued Nintendo in 1991 to break up their third-party monopoly. As much as I love my Nintendo consoles and Nintendo's games, I won't deny it was healthier for video gaming to not let them have practically free reign of the industry (as we saw with Kombat-gate only a couple years later).

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

New data:

First look at the Ataribox design.

Thanks again for signing up to learn more about the Ataribox project!

We’ve been blown away by the feedback since the teaser release, and today, we’re excited to share an exclusive first look at the Ataribox design with you.

Our objective is to create a new product that stays true to our heritage while appealing to both old and new fans of Atari.

Inspired by classic Atari design elements (such as the iconic use of wood, ribbed lines, and raised back); we are creating a smooth design, with ribs that flow seamlessly all around the body of the product, a front panel that can be either wood or glass, a front facing logo, indicator lights that glow through the material, and an array of new ports (HDMI, 4xUSB, SD). We intend to release two editions: a wood edition, and a black/red edition.

As you can guess, those ports suggest modern internal specs. It also means that while we will be delivering classic gaming content, we will also be delivering current gaming content.

We know you are hungry for more details; on specs, games, features, pricing, timing etc. We’re not teasing you intentionally; we want to get this right, so we’ve opted to share things step by step as we bring Ataribox to life, and to listen closely to Atari community feedback as we do so. There are a lot of milestones, challenges and decision points in front of us in the months ahead. We’ll be giving you lots more information and status updates as we progress, and we are thrilled to have you along for the ride!

Hope you like where we are taking this, we’ll be in touch soon.

The Ataribox Project team.

PS: Please let us know what you think via our social channels; and also please like, follow, subscribe, and share as much as possible!

Source and mockup images:
    http://us16.campaign-archive1.com/?u...&id=ea638c05a4

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

good that they are profitable and doing things again we are getting some games which is nice and this could be cool even if its just a supped up flashback with some new titles but it needs to be cheap also if it doesn't sell well I wonder if they remain profitable... they are doing a smartwatch as well

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Looks cool, but beyond that, one can only question the purpose of this?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Now the rumor is "Atari" wants to crowdfund this....

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    We intend to release two editions: a wood edition, and a black/red edition.
    Why would anyone not go for the "wood"? Unless the models differ in more than deco, and wood was on a version that cost significantly more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I am hoping the factor that wakes people to reality is over pricing and the Indigogo RED FLAG (to little actually comes of most Indigogo funding and many just bolt with everyone's money without delivering anything) , the fact that "ATARI" could not even use Kickstarter instead is very telling, we will have to wait and see, priced right I would consider it just for the case and styling (knowing full well support is likely to be lame) - overall ever since earlier talks about PC technology I have to say this is about EXACTLY what I was expecting, in other words a low powered PC hardware box with Linux core that streams with apps etc. THIS IS LIKE A THOUSAND OTHER STREAMING BOXES you can import from cheap Chinese sites like AliExpress / DX . com etc. It seems about the only thing that will set it apart (IF IT EVEN COMES TOGETHER AS THEY CLAIM) is the addition of bundled Atari games (emulated like on Android on I am guessing) and a 2600 theme / styling. Even just as that could have been a fun impulse grab at the right pricing level just for collectors purposes but it is sounding like that styling along with the logo / licensing and bundle of Atari games is exactly why they seem to feel they can waaaaaay over charge for this. If that is the case I think I will just get a similar device at a 3rd of the cost and simply slap on some woodgrain MAKtac, install my own emulated Atari games and call it a day. Sure it may not be "official" but it will be something likely almost as good if not better.

TRY TO REMEMBER FOLKS THIS IS NOT REALLY "ATARI" IT IS SIMPLY A NAME / LICENSE / IP acquired by people looking to bank on your love and nostalgia for the original company. Some, actually many people always seem to want to believe that it is something more, it really isn't. And hey that is fine, even I would buy into something like this merely for that Atari logo if it were priced at an impulse buy level but it does not look like that will be the case so imho buying into and supporting such crap tells these companies how gullible and accepting we are to buy into ANYTHING and ANY PRICE, vote with your dollars folks and send the proper message.

Just to add for those wondering about the integrity / history of those currently involved with "ATARIBOX" here is something to consider posted now by Larry Bundy on Facebook - Pasted exactly from his original post - CREDIT / THANKS to Larry Bundy!

Larry Bundy
    2 hrs ·
    Anyone who is thinking in investing in that AtariBox, I seriously recommend you have a long, hard think about doing so.
    The project is run by a man with a track record of abandoned kickstarters and using either Chinese knock-offs or over the counter items you could easily build yourself.He screwed up his USB memory wristband Kickstarter so much, he ended up sending all the backers an email on how to build them themselves >.>
    Anyhoo, here's a video on his previous projects:
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

New e-mail:

The pictures we're sharing today are of first prototypes. Everyone that has seen Ataribox first-hand loves it, feeling the Atari 2600 influence, while still being a modern design.

Ataribox will be powered by an AMD customized processor, with Radeon Graphics technology. It'll run Linux, with a customized, easy-to-use user interface. This approach means that as well as being a great gaming device, Ataribox is also a full PC experience for the TV, bringing you streaming, applications, social, browsing, music, and more.

Most TV devices have closed systems and content stores. Linux lets us be more open; you can access & customise the OS, & you can access games you've bought from other content platforms (if compatible with the OS and HW).
    There will be tons of classic Atari retro games pre-loaded, & current titles from a range of studios (we'll start talking titles very soon, stay tuned).
    We're launching Ataribox on Indiegogo this fall (read: pretty soon). To reiterate why: we want you, the Atari community, to be part of this launch. We want you to have early access, grab special editions (& pricing) and to have you as active partners in the rollout of Ataribox. We want you to be part of the story.

We plan on shipping late Spring 2018, with an expected price range of $249-$299 (depending on specific editions & memory configurations).

Hope you like what we are sharing today, and are ready for lots more in the weeks ahead.

The Ataribox team.
    PS: To confirm what many of you have asked: the Wood Edition is made with real wood
    PPS: Please continue to let us know what you think via our social channels; and also please like, follow, subscribe, and share as much as possible!
    Images here: http://mailchi.mp/ataribox/first-loo...x-design-36241

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

$249-299? I have a hard time believing anyone would part with that amount of cash for this. Where are the controllers? Also if shipping is in spring, what other games besides the classics will be available?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Let the Games Begin

You'll be the first to know before pre-orders go live.
    Our team would like to offer our earliest supporters a chance to grab Ataribox at an exclusive discount, so keep an eye on that inbox.

These deals will be extremely limited. We'll tell you everything you need to know to get the best deal soon.
    Source: http://mailchi.mp/ataribox/ataribox-...t?e=2b7481dc1c

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

So...
    they want people to preorder a video game 'system' at around 200+$, they havent showed us any games.. and the supposed controller has only one button.

I really dont know what to say.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

We'll find out more today, I'm sure. It will definitely be interesting.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    We'll find out more today, I'm sure. It will definitely be interesting.
    The crowdfunding campaign launch has been delayed indefinitely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

It's simple.......POWER GOES IN..............

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	10460
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

They said there was "one thing" that has delayed their launch. I'd prefer a delay (or possible cancellation) instead of something badly made/released.