Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Atari's Atari Box (2017) Atari VCS (2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Compared to starting from scratch, which seemed to be the implication, then yeah, I'd say it's a lot easier. And while I admittedly haven't developed for Linux...in a game setting anyways, I have worked with Unity quite a bit. There has even been some speculation that Unity may support the platform directly as opposed to just being able to use it's existing Linux build support. But yeah, everything is just speculation right now since Atari has been very sparse with actual details.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Compared to starting from scratch, which seemed to be the implication, then yeah, I'd say it's a lot easier. And while I admittedly haven't developed for Linux...in a game setting anyways, I have worked with Unity quite a bit. There has even been some speculation that Unity may support the platform directly as opposed to just being able to use it's existing Linux build support. But yeah, everything is just speculation right now since Atari has been very sparse with actual details.
    Again, most indie developers and certainly large developers don't bother with Linux as it is. They aren't going to start supporting it on a console with a 10K install base that is literally 1/7 of what Ouya had after crowdfunding. This thing is DOA if it even makes it into the hands of backers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I guess you're not counting Android. My point is, if it's relatively easy to port your existing game over, then I do see developers doing it...if the thing actually gets released that is. I know I have seen many indie developers asking questions about supporting the system.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jb143 For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (07-05-2018)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

In news that will stun almost no one, the "Atari VCS" has been delayed. The new time-frame? Sometime before 2020.

Source: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...eboot_delayed/

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

So is this thing still gonna come out?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Ya! Here's the details courtesy of CNET.

Atari VCS 800 heads to preorder at GameStop and Walmart

The latest "Atari box" is seemingly nearing a release.

Eli Blumenthal

Craving some retro video games during the coronavirus pandemic? The Atari VCS 800 may be the system you were waiting for.

After first being revealed in 2018, and subsequently hit with delays, the Atari VCS 800 bundle has hit Walmart and Gamestop and is available for preorder for $390. Walmart lists the shipping date as Nov. 27, with the official Atari VCS Store stating the expected release date for the box is Dec. 14.

GameStop doesn't have a release date on its site but is offering a $10 discount for preorders with the system priced at $380.

Powered by 8GB of RAM, an AMD Raven Ridge 2 APU and Ryzen GPU the box allows for playing classic Atari games on modern big screens. The VCS 800 bundle includes "100 free Atari classic console and arcade games" as well as a wireless joystick and traditional controller in the box, with additional games being available through an online store.

Beyond playing games, you can upgrade the RAM or install different operating systems like Windows, Linux, Steam OS or Chrome OS to turn it into a PC. Videos can be streamed at 4K (60 frames per second), with the VCS Store promising that "many of your favorite TV/movie services" will be available in the box's app store.

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 are built into the box, as are four USB 3.1 ports, gigabit ethernet and HDMI. There is 32GB of built-in storage, though more can be added through USB.

The Atari VCS 800 was offered on Indiegogo. The campaign for the video game box attracted 11,597 backers and raised over $3 million.
    Source: https://www.cnet.com/news/atari-vcs-...p-and-walmart/

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Beyond playing games, you can upgrade the RAM or install different operating systems like Windows, Linux, Steam OS or Chrome OS to turn it into a PC.
    There is 32GB of built-in storage, though more can be added through USB.
    Does that last part seem like a problem for those intending on upgrading this for a PC functionality? That storage can only be upgraded as an external USB device? No options for an SD card or installing a hard drive? It really seems like a bottleneck if you wanted to use this for anything substantial, besides playing old Atari games or streaming movies.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I would assume you could use an external hard drive.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I would assume you could use an external hard drive.
    Probably, but it will look a mess if all that needs to be hooked up to it. It's a bit different with modded systems running games off external hard drives as they were never meant to be used that way, designing a system to use a hard drive like that for everyday use is just ugly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

It has multiple OS support, with only 32 GB of space? Sure you can add more space via USB, but as Gameguy said, that'd be pretty ugly and against the concept of having this machine in its tight package. If my quick Google-Fu is any good, that's pretty much an AMD Ryzen 3200G-like setup, isn't it? Or is the Atari Box better than that? I'd almost think, based on my own recent PC purchase of a Ryzen 2 3200g and such, for a little bit more you can get a working PC with a 256 GB SSD but just sans controllers and then get that Atari Vault or whatever it's called.

Still, "because you can"reason aside, why go through the trouble of installing a regular OS on it when one never knows if the hardware will be supported with driver updates through its life span? The thing I see with this is Atari is tossing together a sexy retro-nouveau based system with off-the-shelf parts that they toss their own setup of Linux onto. Then dangle the carrot to modders that it can "do more" out of the box and hope they get that money as well.

The controllers look kinda neat, though. Not sure about the regular controller-is that an actual D-Pad or are they aping that Steam controller? Out of the box, that controller is not going to be overly condusive to FPS style games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The MicroCenter computer store chain has a DIY kit called the Atari Retro Gaming Kit. It's a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with a case, a USB controller that's basically a PS2/PS3 pad, and a Micro SD card licensed from whoever owns Atari nowadays and has something like 80 to 100 games on it along with the operating system and emulators needed to run it right away (after a 3 gigabyte download for the latest version, which takes forever it seems like). I bought one because I'd bought a Raspberry Pi 2b kit a few years ago but couldn't get any of the software packages downloaded onto the thing (I bought a couple Micro SD cards, neither of them would let me write to it). Had to eventually give up since I couldn't even get the first step worked out. I got this one so I could just get right to it. The PS3 controller is a bit crappy, but hopefully I can use some of the other USB controllers I have on it.

I think the Atari Raspberry Pi might be the better option. At least you know there's software for it, whereas we don't even know if anything's working on the VCS. They lied about Tempest 4000, trying to get people to believe in was in development for it. Who knows what else they're lying about.