Thread: Old, Now Missing or Dead, Video Game Web Sites Which You Miss

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Old, Now Missing or Dead, Video Game Web Sites Which You Miss

Mine are The GIA and the Working Designs site/message board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Kind of miss my old employers websites of 15 years ago. Midway, they had a really wicked free online shockwave/flash arcade going of their earlier/mid 80s stuff to play. The other, I just sometimes still miss doing previews, reviews, etc for the Advanced Media Network (later Kombo, domain exists but it's not the same one.)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Haha, the title of this thread reminded me of a recurring riff from MST3K: "Welcome to Death Valley Days, the driver's either missing or he's dead!"

But seriously, I do miss Allgame.com, that was a great site, I used it quite a bit and was sad to see it go.
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I used to be a regular on the old classicgaming.com site, reading several of the articles there, as well as the blogs. It's still around, but nothing like it used to be, AFAIK.
    -Adam

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Digital Press was awesome. I wonder what ever happened to that place.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Really miss HigherVoltage.com (or it's first incarnation, Highvoltage.com). Tons of hilarity to be found on both the site and the forums. I was never particularly close with anyone on there but felt as if I knew them from reading their posts after so many years. It folded suddenly with no alternative other than SRK at the time, and it's a damn shame so much great info wasn't backed up. I enjoyed one particular snowflake getting horribly bent out of shape when I offered some constructive criticism on his magazine (Hardcore Gamer).

Rec.Games.Video.Sega & Alt.Sega.Genesis - Yes, I realize Usenet groups are not web sites, but these two are sorely missed by me. When my dialup ISP discontinued their newsgroup server I actually subscribed to a (cheap) paid subscription server just for about a half dozen groups.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I miss the phenomenon of fansites in general, especially ones with a small scope like a single game or series. Obviously they're still around, but not like they used to be. I also miss official sites for games that got pulled down once the games got old. It got to the point that I started backing up on my HD small sites that were particularly special to me. Like I have a backup of Hudson's entire Getter Love website. I know there are archive sites online, but I don't trust them to have everything I'd want. Of course, I'd never disrespect the creators of the content and re-upload anything myself. It's just nice to continue to have my own personal access to the pictures and writing and such that I've enjoyed so much. But there's still plenty of stuff that's slipped through the cracks that I could kick myself for never saving, especially some old Japanese fanart sites that had gorgeous art. I can't even remember the names of them, so there's no chance of me ever finding anything again even with the archive sites. There are also a number of webstores I miss. JPQueen was my jam in the 00s. I imported a ridiculous amount of game-related manga, artbooks, soundtracks, doujinshi, etc. from them.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Rec.Games.Video.Sega & Alt.Sega.Genesis - Yes, I realize Usenet groups are not web sites, but these two are sorely missed by me. When my dialup ISP discontinued their newsgroup server I actually subscribed to a (cheap) paid subscription server just for about a half dozen groups.
    You can use Google Groups to access them for free even today. Sadly, they don't seem to get many posts. Is that what you meant? That the newsgroups are still there, they just don't have the people and content like yesteryear?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I miss allgame.com. While it wasn't a forum site it had a lot of helpful info when trying to search for lists of games by genre or release year. The subcategories for styles were a bit more detailed than Gamefaqs even if the release years for games were sometimes inaccurate. At least a lot of the pages still work on archive.org.

I also miss the first gaming forum I joined - crazyerics.com. The owner took down the rom site and forum down after people couldn't even log in anymore due to glitches and turned it into web browser playable copy of Myst. It was one of those rom sites with daily download limits so it encouraged you to make posts and stay active on the forum.

I also miss Underground Gamer. They definitely had a lot of rare stuff archived.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 07-23-2017 at 06:26 PM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Back around 1999 and 2000 there were so many sites dedicated to Dreamcast news and info. My favorites were, if memory serves me correctly, called Seganet.com and Seganet.net.

They were ran by the same people and while Seganet.com was serious and a good source for the latest DC news and info, Seganet.net was hilarious and trolled bad games, the industry and especially the up coming PS2.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hmm screw the web, how about the old irc efnet channels like #emu, #retrogamers, etc. That's where it was at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I miss Atomix.com forums and the active community of digitpress.com from 10 years ago
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GameSages.

-GoTaS

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I just checked and it turns out crazyerics.com has changed again. Now it has become one of those streaming emulator sites. My internet connection is not good enough to use it. The forum is still long gone though.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]