Thread: Legaia II: Duel Saga

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Default Legaia II: Duel Saga

Oh no, Wulfe's at it again...

I'm fishing for some opinions/judgments/frothing rants for Legaia II: Duel Saga for the Playstation 2. I don't hide the fact that I don't think much of the original Legend of Legaia for PS1, but there were plenty of nifty ideas in there and I'm wondering if the sequel is worth at least trying out.

It seems to be a very under-the-radar game, enough so that it only comes across my wanderings every couple of years or so, and nobody I know IRL has anything to say about it one way or the other.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It's not as good as the original imo, and is really only a decent RPG, but it uses a modified version of the same combat system that you might prefer over the original.

In the original game, the only way you were able to regain AP is to waste a turn, either just attack and deal damage a small amount of damage and you'd receive a small amount of AP, or a much larger amount of AP if you'd defend. In Legaia Dual Saga, you had arts that used AP and others that gained AP. You could create combos that would gain use AP and gain AP, so you could actually deal large portions of damage with less downtime in attacking. Instead of having Ra Seru and hoping to get lucky and get a spell, all characters have their own elemental spirit within them and would gain spells naturally.

A big part of the original Legend of Legaia was the exploration and the large variety of accessories that you'd acquire within the game, customizing the characters with the accessories changed how you'd use the characters similar to the relic system in Final Fantasy 6. In Legaia 2, accessories are equally as important, but here you could actually combine/craft accessories and equipment.

I haven't played it in quite some time, but I did finish it twice and my experience was that it dragged quite a bit at times. I'd say if you didn't much care for the original, you probably won't like the second one but who knows.

If you made a thread asking about RPG recommendations, list a number of what you've played, I wouldn't mind giving out some recommendations of ones that I think are the best on the system that aren't your average Final Fantasy, Persona, Rogue Galaxy, comments that normally fill message boards, the popular answers.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah, if you didn't care for the original, I doubt you'd enjoy the second. It's basically more of the same, but with slightly more customization and less personality. On the plus side, it's a cheapie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

That's not a bad idea, actually, kupomogli. Putting together a thread with lists of games people have played/beaten and asking for a recommendation list. About the only real caveat I can think of is which category to put one in, since people play and ask about games in both the "classic" and "modern" categories as defined on this site.

I kinda do feel the need to say that when I ask about a particular game in this setting, it really does mean I'm considering adding it to the Backlog of Glory but I don't have enough information and some of the price tags involved beg a reality check. That said, the Backlog has swelled considerably in recent times. Once you start down the dork path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WuelfeLuer or kupomogli: Yeah, make a thread about RPG recommendations, that's a good idea. It doesn't matter in which category, I would put it in the Modern Gaming section since this category has the least restrictions. You should keep it open to ALL RPG's anyway, no matter how old they are.

When I read the Q about Legaia 2 I have to admit that I never played the game, like so many other RPGs on my shelves. RPGs were always one of my favorite genres, and it would be great to hear from other experienced gamers which games they recommend and shortly describe them, pointing out weaknesses and strengths. From well-known games to overlooked and underappreciated ones, everything goes, as long as someone just is enthusiastic about games which should be played. Even well-known games are sitting unopened on the shelves of crazy game collectors like us.

I would invite Daria to contribute in such a thread. The girl knows a lot about RPGs and surely has played many more than me. She can refer to her youtube channel and can give great recommendations, I am sure. As a gamer she grew up on DigitalPress. Others as well, maybe Aussie2B since I have the impression RPGs are one of her favorite genres as well.

I have so many PS1 and PS2 RPGs which I haven't played, it would be great to get the motivation to play one of those based on a recommendation in this thread.

After I very often pointed out the two Dark Cloud games as great games when everyone talked about Kingdom Hearts, it is nice to see that these two games are in the meantime well received and held in higher regard today. Very often I'm asking myself which unplayed older games I should play instead of the new FF 12 Zodiac Age which I played to death in the past. (and which I bought yesterday) To get some incentives to play such a game in this thread would be very nice!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

The thread got started, feel free to look. It's kinda bare bones, so if somebody wants to rip it to shreds and/or redo, that'd be okay.