Thread: Favorite Outlandish Golf Games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Favorite Outlandish Golf Games

I was wondering what everyone's favorite outlandish, crazy or cartoonish golf games are.
    I have had Hot Shots Golf Four for years. It has a ton of unlockables, great graphics, music, and plays great. Its the standard that I rate all others by.

I have Swingerz Golf for the Game Cube and its a great title. It tries desperately to clone Hot Shots Golf and succeeds quite well. Hot Shots Golf Four and Swingerz Golf are very similar games. Similar feel, graphics, music, same putting grid. About the only difference is that Swingers uses an Analog C stick swing method which helps to differentiate it a bit. If I didn't have a PS2 to play Hot Shots Golf Four, I would be completely satisfied with Swingerz. I feel the game is an excellent alternative and unfortunately I don't hear it talked about much.

I Have Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee for the PSP and its a great rendition of the Hot Shots formula although it feels a bit basic and stripped down. Its a solid game that captures the essence of Hot Shots Golf and makes it portable but seems like it could have used a few more months for polish and extra content. I’d like to see how Open Tee 2 compares.

I also have Fantasy Golf: Pangya for the PSP and have a blast with it. I like it more than Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee. It has great graphics, music, gameplay and lots of unlockables and different modes of play. It feels very polished. Its no Hot Shots Golf Four, but on the PSP it beats out Open Tee in my book. Again, I’m curious as to how Open Tee 2 compares.

Recently I picked up Super Swing Golf (Pangya) for the WII. I had some anticipation considering my love for the PSP version, but was quickly disappointed. The graphics are alright, the music I don't care for, and the controls I hate. It takes me forever to do anything because the menu options and selections are all done with pointing the Wiimote. The golf swings are all waggle and it makes playing what could be an alright title a chore for me. I got excited because in the options there is a control scheme called “Button” but all this does is make the golf swing into a traditional 3 button tap like most golf games. EVERYTHING else in the game (menu selections, navigating the course, before shot, after shot) is still achieved with pointing the Wiimote! Ridiculous! I gave up on the game. I hear the second game makes the first title somewhat irrelevant. I hear it has everything the first game has and much more content, but if it has the same terrible motion controls I’ll never play it.

I’m curious if Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2 on the PSP is a bit more fleshed out and refined than the first. Anyone played both? How do they compare to one another?

Also what about the Outlaw Golf Games. One of my friends said he absolutely loved the first on on his Xbox back in the day. He mentioned is has an Analog control swing similar to Swingerz Golf, which I really enjoyed. Are the PS2 versions any good?

Also, what about Mario Golf? I have never played any of them and I’m pretty sure they fit this thread. What are some of the best installments?

Any insight would be apreciated.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Ribbit King for PS2 and Gamecube.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Kind of boring answer but the GBC Mario Golf (and I think I'd enjoy Mobile Golf on GBC, a Mario Golf sequel without Mario basically.) Also and I'd say on top of even that -- Neo Turf Masters both arcade and NGPC.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I'd say the original Neo Turf Masters on the Neo Geo would be my all time favorite. However, BS Out of Bounds Golf (aka I Love Golf! Out of Bounds Club when translated) for the SNES Satellaview is also great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Ribbit King for PS2 and Gamecube.
    How have I not heard of this game before? I watched some you tube videos and while its certainly different that what I was looking for in this thread, it looks great all the same. I love the crazy and self aware humor going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Kind of boring answer but the GBC Mario Golf (and I think I'd enjoy Mobile Golf on GBC, a Mario Golf sequel without Mario basically.) Also and I'd say on top of even that -- Neo Turf Masters both arcade and NGPC.
    I have Neo Turf on the NGPC and it is a great game. I checked out Mario Golf on the GBC and it does indeed look good. I'll have to keep a lookout for it at one of my local stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr3tty F1y View Post
    I'd say the original Neo Turf Masters on the Neo Geo would be my all time favorite. However, BS Out of Bounds Golf (aka I Love Golf! Out of Bounds Club when translated) for the SNES Satellaview is also great.
    I have never played Neo Turf on Neo Geo, just the NGPC. That one is a great game however. BS out of bounds golf looks great as well. Gives me something new to put on my SD to Snes!

While straying a bit from what I originally had in mind, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'm definitely going to check them out.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    I have never played Neo Turf on Neo Geo, just the NGPC. That one is a great game however. BS out of bounds golf looks great as well. Gives me something new to put on my SD to Snes!
    You may not be aware of this but it just costs a few dollars, but they did port it faithfully with some perks added you can choose into for both Android and iOS (the Neo Geo arcade version.) Cheap and easy access now, and recently added on Nintendo Switch ACA Neo Geo line up too for I think $6 or $8.