Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default RETRO Magazine (US) Has New Owners

From my e-mail:

Hello! From the New Ownership Team!

Hello!

This is Eli Galindo, and I just wanted to reach out to the full list of subscribers, backers, members, etc of the Magazine to give you a quick update of what is happening.

First off, we are slowly building relationships with new and previous writers. As I have told every one of them, the new RETRO Magazine will be very open to any professional writer that wants to come in and pitch articles of topics that they are passionate about (within the Retro Gaming spectrum). I hope that this way it will not feel like a shore, or topics will not be forced to writers and they would enjoy writing for the Magazine.

Second, the main concern of buying the magazine assets was all the people that were left hanging with pending subscriptions or issues when the business went burst. So we have been working on ways and coming up with ideas to do right by them. We've been talking with about 300 subscribers that have 1 issue pending to take care first, then we will move up to about 750 subscribers that have 2 or more issues left. We got a pallet full of back issues that some of these subscribers don't have so we'll be offering these plus other goodies.

Once all or most of the pending subscribers are taken care of, the Website and may be a patreon campaign will be open; here we will only charge you when a new issue is ready to print (digital version 100% ready) this way we do not commit the mistakes of the past. We would need a minimum of 1000 subs to make a physical print run.

We will re-launch the campaign with issue 13th which will be the last themed issue there will ever be due that we have to honor some dealings with some third parties. After this issue is available (digital only) we will stop doing themed issues, increase the amount of content pages to 100+ and reduce the magazine issues from quarterly to bi-yearly. This will ensure the magazine has the best content under the Retro Gaming spectrum and not so much filler content.

At the moment I am a bit busy finishing up the Iron Commando IndieGogo campaign and working on the new Wisdom Tree Kickstarter (Shameless plug, check it out if you are interested in new NES games or Sega Genesis games!). But we'll be shipping out all the pending subs issues in the next few weeks and working on the Issue 13th to have a release date of the last week of October.

Is you have any comments or questions, please let me know, I try to answer emails as soon as possible.

Kind regards,
    The New RETRO Magazine Team

©2017 RETRO Video Game Magazine | 110 E Houston St. 7th Floor, San Antonio TX 78205

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I got that email as well. Guess I'll wait and see....
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

yea i got that email. i dont know what to think...bi yearly...so 2 times a year? is that even worth it?

Nintendo Force is a solid magazine. I've really enjoyed that the last few months. I really miss the days of going to the grocery store or walmart or whatever and visiting the magazine section and seeing tons of gamepro, egm, etc....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

This is good news, I only started reading the magazine a couple or three issues before the old owner lost credibility with the Coleco Chameleon sh•tshow and the magazine was killed in the crossfire. It was a pretty good read, feeling a bit like a professionally printed fanzine by people who really cared about retro gaming. I'm hoping it stays that way, it kind of reminded me of GameFan Magazine back in its early days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Either way, a buyout means Mike Kennedy made money off this at some point, so I'm out - never a cent from me.

I want FLAT OUT IN PRINT that Mike Kennedy has NOTHING to do with this anymore and will not receive ANY money from any retrogaming hobbyist who may subscribe. That fraud is nothing but poison for us all and the few that continue the, "gee whiz, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt" crap need to stuff it.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 08-05-2017 at 01:04 PM.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

From this week's e-mail (the links are located at https://madmimi.com/p/b4fafa?fe=1&pa...c9bd3bcf72a29d ):

"Magazine Update!

Hello Retro Readers!

We wanted to reach out and update you on the current situation. We have been progressing slowly in our plan to re-launch the magazine. A designer is still working on the layout and we hope to be done by the end of the month as scheduled.

All of you will receive the magazine digital version for free, and we will be launching a patreon campaign for the ones that want to subscribe to physical version one.

We have been working extra hours to organize the past issues (physical) to send them out to the subscribers that have pending ones. It has been a lot of work, and lot of learning (specially in logistics with the USPS) but we have already partnered with a mail service provider and they will take care of delivering them to all the pending members. You should start receiving issues in the mail soon.

We couldn't have afforded paying for all the shipping and logistics if it wasn't for our sponsors; so we would like to send a shout out and what are they currently working on!
    vhs
    7 New games from Piko Interactive!

There are 7 New Retro games available for Pre-Order at Piko Interactive Store. They range from different genres, RPG, Shooter, Platformer, and Puzzle. The titles are:
    ▪ Brave Battle Saga the Legend of the Magic Warrior (Genesis)
    ▪ Custodian (Genesis)
    ▪ Mega 3D Noah's Ark (Genesis)
    ▪ The Humans (SNES)
    ▪ Noah's Ark (NES)
    ▪ Pinkie (SNES)
    ▪ Tyrannosaurus Tex (GBC)

The store will also have some games liquidated as well as price drops!
    Start Shopping
    dizzy
    New Dizzy NES Game!

Chris Wilkings from Fusion Books has launched his 3rd (already funded) Kickstarter to fund the production of an Unreleased game by the Oliver Twins!

Mystery World Dizzy is one of a series of unreleased games by the Oliver Twins. It is now available on Kickstarted and only will be available in this production run. So if you are a fan of the character or like NES games, head over to their Kickstarter to Grab a copy!
    Get Dizzy!
    Replicade
    NEW Mini Arcade Replica!

New Wave Toys just launched a new Kickstarter to fund the production of officially licensed by Atari Mini Arcade Replicas. The First in a series of classic games is Centipede!

These are not your traditional mini arcades, but actual replicas of classic arcades; meaning they are made out of wood and have die cast metal coin doors!

Here are some of the features:
    ▪ Accurately reproduced 1/6th scale cabinet profile
    ▪ Mixed media cabinet appointments: wood, metal, plastic, rubber
    ▪ LED back-lit Marquee & cabinet accents
    ▪ Custom made mini Trackball and push buttons
    ▪ High-quality speaker, 3-watt amp for accurate audio reproduction
    ▪ RepliCade high-performance chipset for smooth, lag-free gameplay
    ▪ On/Off switch and volume control knob
    ▪ Accurate art reproduction, laminated vinyl side and control panel overlays that look great, won’t rub off or bubble
    ▪ Powered by built-in rechargeable Lithium ion battery
    ▪ Includes micro USB charge cable
    ▪ Large 3.5” LCD full-color screen (4:3 aspect ratio - vertical orientation)
    ▪ Dedicated Centipede game featuring original arcade game ROM
    ▪ Officially licensed by Atari
    ▪ Premium retail packaging

New Wave Toys wanted to know, which other titles would you like to see in mini arcade replica formats?
    Get Me a Mini Arcade!"

***The links to these projects are located at https://madmimi.com/p/b4fafa?fe=1&pa...c9bd3bcf72a29d

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

So little interest....
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK