Thread: Strange Colecovision label

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Strange Colecovision label

Hello everybody!!! I purchased some Colecovision Carts and a few have a strange label "Sport Game present video game cartridge". I'm from Brazil and it also says Made in Brazil. I haven't got them yet so I haven't test them, but they are supposed to be: Up n down, Gteway to Apshai and Qbert Cubes. Can anybody give me some information about this label? Could it be that some owner printed to replace or something? Or do you know if some company in Brazil sold them? Maybe bootlegged or so? As soon as I get them, i'll test them and report it back to you.
    Thanks in advance.
    Leonardo
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	10347

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I made some research of my own and with help from coleco_master, I gather some information and by living the 80's came to a final conclusion.

The economy in Brazil was protected due to living in a military government. The market was closed to imported products and so some companies "imported" the games and made as if they were theirs. So this "Sports Game" and "Coleco mania" were some of the companies that sold this games as if they were theirs and made here in Brazil. Not to fool the consumer, but as an alternative from the protected market. It was the same with Atari cartridges.

Did it make sense?

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Yeah, that sounds about right. For several years, the Brazilian government wouldn't allow imports of tech stuff, insisting that it be made there. This resulted in various government-authorized ripoffs of tech from the US and elsewhere, either repackaged outside gear or outright copies, including the Prologica CP-200 (Sinclair ZX-81) and CP-400 (TRS-80 Color Computer), Sysdata Eletronica MicroColor (TRS-80 MC-10?!), and pretty much everything MicroDigital made. A company called Unitron even attempted a Macintosh clone, but Apple got wind of it, and used their connections with the US government to get it quashed.
    -Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Didn't Brazil get some Argentinian Atari 2600 pirate games? I have a couple in my collection, I assumed they were being distributed there along with Brazilian Atari 2600 clones like Dactar or Dynavision.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Didn't Brazil get some Argentinian Atari 2600 pirate games? I have a couple in my collection, I assumed they were being distributed there along with Brazilian Atari 2600 clones like Dactar or Dynavision.
    Can you share a picture, then I can get deep into it and maybe get some more for you if you're interested? (if I find any)...