Thread: Game Gavel Has New Owners

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Game Gavel Has New Owners

This guy must have a lot of money. From my e-mail:

Hello Guys! This is Eli Galindo, the new owner of Gamegavel.com.

I acquired the website along the RETRO video Game magazine at a fire asset sale from the previous owner.

I am barely officially reaching out to all members as I had to validate all the membership emails that were active. I'd like to talk about the future and my plans for the website.

First off, I'd like to let all the premium/unlimited members of the website know that your account will be grandfathered. You will keep the benefits you have with the account you paid to the previous administration. There will be new features on the site which you will be welcome to upgrade to once they are rolled out.

The site will be running as it is for a while; we plan to re-make the auction website from scratch using Django. The current system is licensed and not proprietary; that, and it being about 1999 technology were the reasons that made me decide to re-make it from scratch. This will allow us to make new system features, a responsive website, along with a mobile friendly one. However it will take a long time for us to roll out the update (we are only 2 guys!). Again, the Gamegavel.com site will run as is and will work with the current website features.

Some of the things that we'd like to add is classifieds (free) and inventory management system (feed listings to your ebay, amazon, and gamegavel account as well as update inventory in real-time through all 3 marketplaces). This will allow sellers to list on GG and control inventory on ebay and amazon without having to de-list items, or reduce stock quantity, etc.

In the mean time, we'll be doing some out-reach to sellers at conventions to bring quality listings and auctions to the website, if you see me at any of the retro conventions I normally attend, please reach out and talk to me.

If you have any comments or questions please don't hesitate to contact me at this address (gavelgame@gmail.com). I am currently a bit busy fulfilling the Iron Commando IndieGogo as well as running the Mega 3D Noah's Ark Kickstarter (Shameless plug, but check it out if you are into NES and Genesis games); but should be able to answer emails fairly quickly (24-48 hours).

Kind regards,
    New GameGavel Team

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

To be honest, I didn't even know that Game Gavel still existed. Do people actually use it?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I don't think I know anyone in day to day life who ever did use Game Gavel. In fact, I believe any money spent here was a complete and utter waste. The name isn't just useless-it's tarnished badly from association with all of the debacle surrounding Mike Kennedy. Auction sites need to reach the biggest audience possible, and I just don't see how you rebuild and re-brand this endeavor to make it any kind of successful.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I don't think I know anyone in day to day life who ever did use Game Gavel. In fact, I believe any money spent here was a complete and utter waste. The name isn't just useless-it's tarnished badly from association with all of the debacle surrounding Mike Kennedy. Auction sites need to reach the biggest audience possible, and I just don't see how you rebuild and re-brand this endeavor to make it any kind of successful.
    lol, that one last scam Mikey managed to wring out of the old dishrag.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I think the only person who ever made money on GameGavel was the guy who sold Mike Kennedy the name years ago. Man, what an honor - to actually have Mike Kennedy give YOU money rather than try to pick it from your pocket.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Well Galindo already got a really juicy list of email addresses and contact info out of the purchase. He's spammed my email twice already. I went into my account, deleted all my contact info, and sent an email requesting that my account be deleted. I would suggest everyone who wants nothing to do with that ... "businessman" to do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's kind of harsh. As long as the emails don't turn into some continual spam or ends up being sold to d-bags for a profit there's really no harm in it. I'm taking a wait and see approach as it couldn't get any worse. I have an account there when mikey got desperate and had free ones open for a limited time. I tried to sell a few times and never once made a sale and it wasn't for a lack of trying or putting insane prices to ignore either. I have bought a few JP GB games on there which has really good prices so it wasn't a totally bad experience.

It would need a lot of work I am not certain is possible for it to be a viable gaming alternative to the hell ebay keeps plunging further into, but by some 1% chance of sheer luck it works out -- good, ebay being an abuse pit to screw sellers should open the door for someone to scoop up people fed up with their shit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I haven't heard anybody bring up Game Gavel in years. It's more profitable for people to sell on eBay, since it reaches the widest audience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I used it once to buy some Saturn games and though the experience was good, there just isn't enough listings to stay interesting and keep me coming back.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Well Galindo already got a really juicy list of email addresses and contact info out of the purchase. He's spammed my email twice already. I went into my account, deleted all my contact info, and sent an email requesting that my account be deleted. I would suggest everyone who wants nothing to do with that ... "businessman" to do the same.
    Just did this myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had sold a couple of items when it first started, but it appeared over time to be less of an auction site and more for straight sales. I mean, when your starting bid and 'Buy it now' price are $1 apart, you aren't really looking for a bidding war.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I remember briefly being excited about this site when it launched now its just meh who cares