Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default #1 D-Pad Ever

What's the best directional pad from any controller ever made for any platform?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I waffle between the SNES and model 2 Saturn. Probably Saturn overall.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'd say the PS4 controller, but honestly, I can't, not when the controller's lifespan is so short. I've had two original PS4 controllers crap out on me. One a year after I got my PS4, the other is starting to have issues right now(got the PS4 a year after it came out as well, so second one did last quite a bit longer, going on two years, but still. It's not broken, it still works, but the first controller the analog stick wouldn't recognize a very specific direction, it was like that direction was completely dead. This controller seems like that's starting to happen as sometimes, rarely, the same occurence happens, the other issue though that both controllers had, is it started doing multiple button presses with just a single action and because of this I think it recognizes many of my actions. The only reason I'm able to tell this though is I'd be typing a message on PSN, I'd hit the accept button sometimes and it'd have two of the same letter, three of the same letter, or one letter and the one next to it(as I'd be dragging it to the next letter and it'd get the one next to it.) I know it's the controller though because didn't have an issue for the longest time, past couple months it's been happening, just like with the original controller.

So really, I'd say the PS2. I had more than one PS2 controller, but it was to play multiplayer games. Not once did I ever have a PS2 controller die on me or have issues and before the PS4 controller, I'd say the PS2 controller was the most comfortable I've used. PS4 controller really just extends the grips of the PS2 controller and while the PS2 L2/R2 was the same as L1/R1, PS4 took the bumpers of the PS3 and curved them outward so this time they actually work well.

I'd honestly say maybe the Wii U Pro controller is the best, but I actually haven't put much time in actually using it because the controller doesn't work with Wii games and the Wii U library is pretty much non existent. Way to go Nintendo creating a great controller that I pretty much can't even use. The only thing I can tell you is that the Wii U Pro controller is very comfortable and the battery life is 80 hours. The whole 80 hours thing is based on information I got from others. I actually don't know the life span personally, mine actually never died after the initial charge(and I've never had it plugged up since.)

*edit*

Oops, I thought the op meant d-pad as controller, not actually the directional pad. In that case it would still be the Playstation d-pad but the choice would really be between a Nintendo or Playstation console, the reason for this is the digital pad is separated rather than a combined circle like the Sega or Xbox digital pad, meaning you have more accurate control over what you're doing. I know you guys might be like, wtf, but as someone who was more comfortable playing platformers and RPGs, these pads had the best accuracy on what you're actually doing(not the DS lite however, that one was garbage.) The contour of the Playstation digital pad is more comfortable on the fingers than the Nintendo digital pads. Also, even while separated, the buttons are close enough so fighting game motions can still be done accurately.

Now I've never used an Xbox One controller, but I'd say they changed the style of the digital pad from how Sega did it to more similar to the way Nintendo does it but with better contour, so that one might actually be comfortable to control. The entire Xbox One controller does look comfortable.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-13-2017 at 04:39 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danny_galaga's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Neo Geo Pocket. Hands down (",)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Neo Geo CD.

It's not even much of a competition in my mind. There are tons of D-pads that I consider flat-out shitty, especially ones created since the focus shifted to analog control (the D-pads for the Dreamcast, GameCube, 360, etc.), a ton that I consider so-so (basically every Sony D-pad, among others), a handful that are solid and get the job done with most genres (NES, SNES, etc.), and then a very rare few that I feel are notably good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danny_galaga View Post
    Neo Geo Pocket. Hands down (",)
    I was going to say this as well but I'm still not entirely sure if I'm serious or not. I just like the clicky switches.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Can't vote for any Playstation model as the gaps between the 'buttons' always pissed me off. Will have to give another vote for Saturn (either model).