Thread: Metroid: Samus returns

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Metroid: Samus returns

https://youtu.be/UhOx-FpEAQk

I already have it pre-installed, just have to get the update at midnight to play it.

Are you getting it?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Yeah, looks good. I want to get the special edition and the amiibo set though. Problem is, I was going to just get the regular version, didn't know there was the reversible Metroid 2 cover which is exclusive to the special edition. I also didn't preorder the Metroid amiibo early enough, it's not available. I'm hoping there will be extras at one of the stores in my area if they don't show back up online tomorrow.

F Nintendo though. It's not just coincidence that they do this with literally every single product they release. I wouldn't even care about the amiibo if the way the game was meant to be played wasn't locked behind it. They lock the damn difficulty behind amiibo and then you can't even get the amiibo to access it. I mean wtf.

*edit*

Since it's the day of release, I wanted to check and see if any stock appeared in the systems, so I checked Best Buy first, they have the special edition available but you could only get the double pack amiibo from in store and the closest store to me was 70 miles away. So I searched Amazon and Gamestop, nothing, then looked at Walmart who had the double pack amiibo to ship. Unfortunately having to go through Walmart I had to pay an extra $12(plus the additional tax that adds onto it) than what I would have had to pay if I was able to purchase it at Best Buy. GCU would have took 20% off, $6, and I would have got free shipping.

So anyways, I'll should have the game and amiibos sometime next week.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-15-2017 at 03:45 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

What do you mean the "lock the difficulty" behind the amiibo? What do you mean by the amiibo is needed for the game to be played as intended?
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Short version:

The game has two hard modes: 1 you unlock by completing the game. The other is an extra hard mode that also grants the fusion suit, that one is tied to an amiibo. Though calling it "as intended" is simply the kupo's personal taste.

The other amiibo's unlock tank reserves and auto-unlock other items you can get just by completing the game. It's not that big of a deal.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

On Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate, the hardcore difficulty mode was unlocked after finishing the game, which essentially is what the Fusion mode is, hardcore difficulty but locked requiring an amiibo from the Metroid/Samus amiibo pack. Thing about hardcore difficulty is yes it was difficult, but it wasn't too difficult to make things frustrating. It actually feels like the perfect difficulty. This is the same developer of the Lords of Shadow games and each of those games had four difficulties, which I'd assume the fourth difficulty on Metroid is Fusion.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I was thinking about buying this game, but as the day arrived, I changed my mind. I'm sure it is high-quality, but despite owning many Metroid games, I've never completed one from start-to-finish, so buying another seems like a silly endeavor. Perhaps after I actually complete one of the others, I'll think about it again.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Encountered a glitch in area 3 that allowed me to bypass power bomb blocks and trapped me in.

Fuck me, I made good progress, too!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

So is this a flat out graphical upgrade to the same exact Metroid II map with maybe new areas, or is it just the same story idea with parts of the map all totally remixed? If I already know where to go in Metroid, will I already know where to go in this game?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Okay. I just got it today. It fucking sucks dick.

You have to hold R down to shoot missiles and L to aim. Three buttons to shoot a missile. Wall jumping has changed to Mega Man X controls. Jump doesn't pop you out of morph ball. Scan pulse all but eliminates exploration. The analog nub has to be used to move so the already shit D-pad can be wasted on selecting new shit. The melee counter is very forced and pointless, very not Metroid.

I think Nintendo hates adult-sized hands. I may go hold a Jaguar controller for awhile to feel less like a giant.

Seriously, though... the original game needed two face buttons, start, and select with the D pad to move. Here, I need six buttons, start, a touch screen, a D-pad, AND an analog disc to move? Seriously? I was pumped for this, especially with how good Zero Mission was. Fuck you Nintendo.

Very unconfortable to play with incredibly imprecise controls. Look to the Strider reimagining to see how this could've been done correctly.

Edit: After giving another hour this evening, I'd like to double down on all of these complaints, and also add that I hate the new soundtrack. I didn't think they could make a 2D Metroid that I'd hate.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 09-24-2017 at 11:32 PM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    So is this a flat out graphical upgrade to the same exact Metroid II map with maybe new areas, or is it just the same story idea with parts of the map all totally remixed? If I already know where to go in Metroid, will I already know where to go in this game?
    The map is very different. So is the control. It is very imprecise, feeling absolutely nothing like prior Metroid games. If the control and feel of those games was a big part of the draw for you, it's terrible. If you're more indifferent there, you may dig it. I am absolutely hating it.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Nintendo didn't make it. MercurySteam, a developer in Spain, did. They're the ones who made the junky Lords of Shadow Castlevania games, including the Mirror of Fate, which was supposed to be like the Metroid-style Castlevania games, but totally failed at that, and would be the closest relative to Samus Returns. I'm not surprised the controls are loose. Even if I know nothing else about a game, I can guess a game's region of origin with pretty good accuracy just from how loose or rigid the controls are. It's another reason why I think Western developers have no business making new entries in long-running Japanese franchises (and the other way around, but I can't think of any examples of long-running Western series being handed over to Japanese developers. Edit: Well, there's Wizardry). Granted, even Nintendo's own games are often slippery as shit these days, so you lose either way. Plus, there's the fact that the visionary of the Metroid series, Gunpei Yokoi, is dead, so I've turned a skeptical eye toward every Metroid game made without him.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 09-25-2017 at 09:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I got it, but I don't play it heavy as it's not my only thing to do. I had laid off it a bit as the way I was holding the big XL it was hurting my hands due to the constant use of L/R. I ended up getting these imported grips and it holds now like a Switch/WiiU/PS Dual Shock controller and it's fantastic now. I cant stand the game early on because of the overly forced counter mechanic being basically required not to die. Once you hit area 3 I'm in now you get that nice wave beam which cuts out having to use that garbage so much as it cuts through anything. It's nice having a 2D style title once more as the 3D was getting a bit annoying. It's in there quality wise with like SM3 and Zero Mission, lacks the overkill damage and consistent whining force fed dialog of Fusion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

To me, the game looks graphically unappealing, but I'm a sucker for 3DS games that actually have good 3D usage, and I've read many comments that claim this is one of the best.

Even though I can't stand the controls in Kid Icarus: Uprising, I'm impressed by its usage of the core gimmick of the handheld, for example. It was worth it to me to purchase, at least for fulfilling the principal identity of the 3DS.

So... I'm still torn on this title. Ugly, repetitive environments, but great 3D.. Also, I for one love the new soundtrack.