Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Authentic Fix-it Felix Jr. Arcade Machine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fix-it_felix_jr_arcade_machine-s-l500.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	10426
    This is a Disney Original Fix it Felix Jr. machine. Disney made (commissioned) roughly 50 such machines to promote the film Wreck it Ralph back in 2012. Most of the machines remained in Disney's possession, but a few made their way into private hands. Less than 15 machines are in private hands today. Which is why you hardly ever see this come up for auction.

Condition: Disney purposely weathered each game to give the illusion of age. They wanted each cabinet to look as if it came from 1982. To achieve this they dragged, scratched, weathered the cabinet in certain areas. This machine is a mint example and almost all of the side art survived the Disney abuse. As you can see from the photos, it's gorgeous.

How does game work: The game runs off of a HP desktop computer. What's really awesome is they put in an old CRT monitor which gives the game a true old-school arcade look and feel.

Disney paper work: Disney included paper work with each authentic Fix it Felix Jr. they made. This machine has the paper work. I am not posting photos because people selling fake machines try and dupe this paper work.

Why so expensive?: 200,000 Ms Pac Man's were made. 150,000 Donkey Kongs. 15 of these in private hands. Do the math. Heck even fake Felix machines people made sold for $2,000. This is a grail game for Disney fans and discerning arcade collectors.

Where do KLOV members go to cry?: ChopperTheDog's basement.

Hit me up with any questions.

Kaneda
    Worth $10,250?

Listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fix-it-Felix...e/142490141499
    Last edited by Nz17; 09-22-2017 at 10:26 AM. Reason: added photo, added hyphen

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Nope. Game kinda sucks. I like the novelty and all, but a ton of old Nintendo cabs have been butchered to make copies of these things. For that kinda money, you can get some way more fun, legit games. Hell, you could probably get a Sky Skipper for much less.

Fix it Felix is a collector's piece for the sake of being a collector's piece in many ways. Make no mistake, I really like that Disney made them, as it's a perfect promo piece for the film. However, it's not a prop, it's not a good game... owning one is something you do just to say you did... not that there's anything wrong with that... but I'd spend that cash on one of those crazy After Burner cockpits that makes you sick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Wasn't the ROM of the game floated around for awhile? If so, you could easily build one for yourself for a few hundred dollars. Not worth the $10k price by any means IMHO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There is one near me in Loganville, Ga at Flashback Arcade. Not sure if it is a legit one or not, but I tried to play it a couple of times and gave up. Controls are sloppy, game play is boring and repetitive.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Unless you're a real Disney fan AND an arcade fan; I can think of tons of things I'd rather spend that cash on myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I actually just installed it on my Mamecab last night.

Quote Originally Posted by fluid_matrix View Post
    Wasn't the ROM of the game floated around for awhile? If so, you could easily build one for yourself for a few hundred dollars. Not worth the $10k price by any means IMHO.
    It wasn't a rom, per-se (though there have been some made. I think a member on here made a Genesis version). The official version made by Disney was a PC exe file. It was leaked a few years ago and since hacked to make it more mame cab friendly.

I wouldn't say it's a bad game. Though it is pretty derivative of the games released around that time, perhaps on the too simple side of things. There were much worse games, there were much better games. But yeah, gutting a Donkey Kong or whatever, to put in Fix It Felix Jr is a pretty shameful thing to do.

--Edit,
    Though this is one of the "official" Disney cabinets and not some replica someone made. So no *additional* cabinets were destroyed in the creation of *this* collectors item.
    Last edited by jb143; 09-22-2017 at 04:04 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Every time I see a replica cabinet at an arcade show it's the same thing - the "enthusiasts" thumbing their noses at it, saying it plays bad, or dismissing it after a couple minutes.

The key to this game is understanding how the control input works. Each press of the joystick = 1 directional movement, it's not meant to be held down. Additionally there are "left" and "right" sides to each ledge. Felix will always stand on the opposite side of the ledge from the direction he is traveling, to allow him to swing his hammer and fix the damaged window.

That means if he is standing on the left side of the ledge and RIGHT is pressed, he will dash one ledge to the right, but remain on the left side.

If LEFT is then pressed, he will make a small hop to the ledge to his left, and stop there, as it is now on the side opposite to the direction he is facing, allowing him to swing his hammer in front of him to fix the window.

Left / right positioning, and understanding how to manipulate Felix to get him right where you want him, is a key to advancing in the game.

The Jump button only comes into play when clusters of brick collect on the ledges in later stages, as it is used to clear them. The Jump button must be pushed at the same time the left or right movement is executed. This does catch a lot of people out and in my opinion is the only rough spot in the game's design.

A ledge with a cluster of brick on either side cannot be jumped to from the side, instead it must be approached either from the top or bottom (neither will hurt Felix, he will stand on the cluster without getting hurt as long as his approach and departure is vertically) or while invulnerable from a pie power-up.

And yes, the game does get very challenging a dozen or so stages in as the amount of hazards and movement restrictions from planter boxes really ramps up. It's like I, Robot - if someone who knows what they're doing explains in person how to play the game, you'll probably love it, but otherwise you'll just get bored or frustrated and step away.

http://dragonking.arcadecontrols.com...age=AboutIFIFJ

Beat to snot, empty, damaged Nintendo cabs are a dime a dozen. Every person I know who has built a Fix It Felix, Jr. cabinet has taken a completely converted or beat to hell Nintendo cabinet and given it a new lease on life and then handsomely sunk it into their Ninty row as FIFJ.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 09-24-2017 at 03:45 PM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Every time I see a replica cabinet at an arcade show it's the same thing - the "enthusiasts" thumbing their noses at it, saying it plays bad, or dismissing it after a couple minutes.

The key to this game is understanding how the control input works. Each press of the joystick = 1 directional movement, it's not meant to be held down. Additionally there are "left" and "right" sides to each ledge. Felix will always stand on the opposite side of the ledge from the direction he is traveling, to allow him to swing his hammer and fix the damaged window.

That means if he is standing on the left side of the ledge and RIGHT is pressed, he will dash one ledge to the right, but remain on the left side.

If LEFT is then pressed, he will make a small hop to the ledge to his left, and stop there, as it is now on the side opposite to the direction he is facing, allowing him to swing his hammer in front of him to fix the window.

Left / right positioning, and understanding how to manipulate Felix to get him right where you want him, is a key to advancing in the game.

The Jump button only comes into play when clusters of brick collect on the ledges in later stages, as it is used to clear them. The Jump button must be pushed at the same time the left or right movement is executed. This does catch a lot of people out and in my opinion is the only rough spot in the game's design.

A ledge with a cluster of brick on either side cannot be jumped to from the side, instead it must be approached either from the top or bottom (neither will hurt Felix, he will stand on the cluster without getting hurt as long as his approach and departure is vertically) or while invulnerable from a pie power-up.

And yes, the game does get very challenging a dozen or so stages in as the amount of hazards and movement restrictions from planter boxes really ramps up. It's like I, Robot - if someone who knows what they're doing explains in person how to play the game, you'll probably love it, but otherwise you'll just get bored or frustrated and step away.

http://dragonking.arcadecontrols.com...age=AboutIFIFJ

Beat to snot, empty, damaged Nintendo cabs are a dime a dozen. Every person I know who has built a Fix It Felix, Jr. cabinet has taken a completely converted or beat to hell Nintendo cabinet and given it a new lease on life and then handsomely sunk it into their Ninty row as FIFJ.
    Obviously, not every conversion is an act of carnage, but the criticisms of the game are pretty fair. As an homage to the Donkey Kong-esque games of the time, it captures a little of the feel, but it's far less well-rounded than a DK or many other games of the era. However, the bigger deal for this topic is the original question-is it worth $10,000+?

At that point, I have to be more harsh if it's my $10,000. Playable and cute isn't enough. As a collectible, this isn't a prop, it's a promotional item, like a poster or standee as film collectibles go. As a video game, I have to weigh it against what video game happiness it has to offer, and as a game no more complex than Imagic's Beauty and the Beast for Intellivision, $10,000 can buy me games I will enjoy so much more.

To my mind, that price requires a person who is a truly die hard collector of both Disney and video game memorabilia, and I don't fit that bill.