Thread: Mayflash Wii U Pro Controller adapter is the Bee's Knees

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Default Mayflash Wii U Pro Controller adapter is the Bee's Knees

So I just did a search and apparently Mayflash adapters have been discussed quite a bit in the past. For whatever reason, I was still unfamiliar with them. Recently my PS3 controllers stopped working on my PC for unknown reasons, and reinstalling drivers, etc didn't get me anywhere. On a lark I googled using a WiiU pro controller on PC because I like the controller and the battery lasts forever. Lo and behold I was introduced to the Mayflash adapter. Cheap enough to give it a go, and sure enough, the thing works great! I'd been playing Rogue Legacy with the PS3 controller and picked up with the WiiU Pro with no issues at all. Now playing Axiom verge and it works really well.

I gather you can get a WiiU Pro working with a bluetooth adapter, which I somehow still don't have (I was using the PS3 controller over USB), but for the $14 and plug n play, I think the Mayflash is the way to go. Anyone else using one of these or one of the previous Mayflash adapters?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

This is a question I've been meaning to ask, just what all can you use a Wii U Pro controller on?

And for that matter, without buying one of those fancy pants wireless converter dongles, a PS3, PS4, or XB1 controller? All I've ever done is pair my official PS3 controller to an Ouya for testing. I read a little on using PS3 controllers as a regular Bluetooth controller, but seems like 3rd party ones are forced to be wired.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    This is a question I've been meaning to ask, just what all can you use a Wii U Pro controller on?

And for that matter, without buying one of those fancy pants wireless converter dongles, a PS3, PS4, or XB1 controller? All I've ever done is pair my official PS3 controller to an Ouya for testing. I read a little on using PS3 controllers as a regular Bluetooth controller, but seems like 3rd party ones are forced to be wired.
    The adapter I bought lets you use the WiiUPro on PC, PS3, and Amazon Fire TV. I briefly read that you can set it up to use with bluetooth on a PC without the adapter, but that it was kind of a pain in the ass.

For other controllers, I believe the XB360 is pretty straightforward to set up on PC, and I think that has carried over to the XB1 as well. I had my PS3 controller working fine over USB, but getting it there was a pain, even following step by step directions. It just seemed flaky and finicky until I finally got it sorted. And then after a year(?) of it working fine, it just quit and didn't come back after re-installing everything. I think that PS3 over bluetooth isn't really any harder than USB, but I don't have experience with that. I haven't read about PS4 controllers, but I'd bet they are set up the same way as PS3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    If you've got a Mac, OpenEmu is designed to use the Wii U controller. And also the original Wii controller, although plugging the Classic Controller into it doesn't work.

To be honest, I used a Wii controller with my set-up until I upgraded OpenEmu, and now the controller won't stay connected for long. Can't quite figure out why. The latest version of the software is quirky that way. I just use a wired PS3 controller instead.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I picked up a Switch recently and was looking into cheaper alternatives to the $70 Pro Controller. I'm assuming it's this same one, from what I've read this wireless adapter is also compatible with the Switch. Apparently the only thing it won't do is the gyro/motion controls, but for I'll gladly trade that for a $50 shortcut.