Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Main DP Sites are Temporarily Unavailable

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Main DP Sites are Temporarily Unavailable

Hey everyone, I noticed the main DP Web sites (i.e. everything except the forum) are offline right now. Don't worry, it's only something minor. The sites will return soon. At most, it'll be by the weekend. Thanks for your patience.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So, theoretically speaking, if say, this site's owner was to stop paying for the site's hosting, fell delinquent, got his Web hosting account suspended, his main sites disappeared from the Internet, the forum was still online but only for an unknown amount of time, and he was unreachable even through his New Jersey store, and his Texas museum, and his friends, and his employees... what should I do?

If such a scenario were to occur, would you want this forum to still continue onward elsewhere? Or should it all be "sun-setted?"

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love that this forum is still here, even though at the same time I'm kind of shocked that hasn't disappeared. I love it not so much because I still check it most days, but for the fact that it still exists at all; kind of a rooting for the underdog thing. Plus it has always had a vibe that agrees with me better than other place. I've long expected to get an error message without explanation and then have it never come back.

With that said, I hope that at the very least the database of posts is kept, and kept available. I still on occasion find a google search of mine leads me right back here where I find the answer to a question. Simply put, there are few such extensive resources of classic video game knowledge available on the web. This is one of them, and I hope that information stays around.

As for the 'active' forum aspect... I'm all for it sticking around or I wouldn't be posting now. Hell, we might even have a secret santa this year! I'd likely shell out if that's what it took to keep it around. Maybe on a sort of informal kickstarter formula, where if enough was raised each year it keeps going, if not, money back and it dies.

Honestly, after writing this, I don't feel like I'm saying anything new. Haven't we had this topic before?

edit: I thought "this site's owner" was no longer this site's owner, to be honest. Was that not actually ever settled?

I can has MOAR DS? Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If that's the case, then I'd suggest that we have one or two pulls of the forum database. Far too much good stuff to lose from a far too long of a period of time.

I'll be glad to pull a backup. Just let me know. I think my admin privileges will let me, but then again, they may not.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In all honesty, save the files / databases and move on. It's clear it's finally been "blown up" with no intention of starting over, so time to abandon ship. Much of the site info was out of date or lost to time. The forums are fine, but after all this time, there's only so much that can be typed before you realize it's all been said before.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've got backups of the forum's database. I was just looking for guidance. I'm thinking of porting the forum from vBulletin to phpBB.

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried connecting earlier tonight and when the site was unreachable, I initially thought nothing of it. A moment later I considered the possibility that DP might be gone for good. If that happens, I'll be really sad. At the very least, I hope, as others have mentioned, that the contents of the site live on in some sort of archive. I've spent the last couple weeks just poring over old posts in the Classic Gaming forum -- one of my favorite pastimes, in fact. I'm not sure where exactly everyone bailed to, but this is still my go-to place for general retro gaming info, even if new posts are few and far between.

Long story short, I'd like for it to continue if possible.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'll ditto the above sentiments. I've long felt like we've been running on borrowed time, and I'm always low-key expecting the board to go *poof* one day and never return. If and when it comes to that, I just hope we could be given some warning. In my case, I keep a list of games I've beaten and a gaming journal, which consist of posts I make here first, and even though I should, I can't claim to copy over the text with each and every post. Likewise, I'd probably want to save the LRG release list I've been compiling. And that's not even getting into how it'd be nice to have a good-bye topic where we could share where we'll be on other forums and social media. I also strongly agree that the forum should be archived as an informational resource.

But I don't know if it'd be worthwhile to try to attempt to migrate elsewhere. If it's all behind-the-scenes stuff, requiring no effort from the users, sure, why not. But if it's at a new URL with an empty forum and we all have to register again and post from scratch, I imagine it'd be a total ghost town, with even fewer active members and less posting than we've got now, as we're all but guaranteed to lose some people in a move like that.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I for one hate this blaise attitude towards the potential end of this forum. It's like if you had a regular bar you and your buddies gather at, and you hear one day its going to get demolished. Sure, there might be other bars, but they wouldn't be the same.

Already this year (or rather last year) I witnessed the death of Hastings, which used to be one of my primary hangouts. At first the sentiment was that there would be some other video/entertainment store to replace it... but there wasn't. Just a big empty lot where a good thing used to be. That's change, right there: replacing something with nothing. Yes, in a nearby town there is an FYE, but that was always there too, its not a replacement (and its not even a good one since Hastings dealt with all media, FYE is pretty much movies with a small video game and music section--no books save for some manga).

Likewise, yes there are other video game forums--I myself am registered on Hardcore Gaming 101's forums--but the people are different, the culture is different, the discussions are different. It's a blank slate. It's not the place where I was able to turn random crap from a Wizardry game into a prose story, or where I can talk about old cartoons on a regular basis (incidentally, for those wondering why I haven't posted a new Cartoon of the Month... I got sick. That's really it).

There are lots of forums, but there's only one Digitpress.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Digitpress
    Quote: <digipress> well. i guess it's time to blow it all up and start over.
    It's time.
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I would guess the blase attitude stems from the fact that those of us who have been around a real long time have effectively already witnessed the death of the board, as it's currently just a shadow of its former self. There's still fun to be had and news to share and discuss and so on, but it's not the same. Don't get me wrong, I would be very sad to see the board disappear in full, but I don't think I'd be as sad about that as I already feel thinking about how the board used be. It's like with another board that was a big part of my online "career". I had been a part of that community since 1999, and it finally was shut down a couple years ago, after several years of extremely little activity, to the point that regulars would pop in maybe once every few weeks or months, make a forced post or two just as a matter of course, and then rinse and repeat. It stung less than I thought it would seeing it go, because it was already effectively done and gone. What I miss is the days of lively activity and sense of camaraderie, not just having a functional URL to visit and then leave in a matter of minutes or less.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 10-17-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would be making regular DB backups regardless. Isn't the only thing left online the forum?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I'll ditto the above sentiments. I've long felt like we've been running on borrowed time, and I'm always low-key expecting the board to go *poof* one day and never return.
    Exactly my thoughts, too. I've also had the impression for a while now that there was a lingering chance that I'd try to visit the forum one day and it just wouldn't be there anymore. It's not a value judgment--I still like the place even though it's something of a ghost town nowadays--but if we're being objective...

That said, if the forum moves, fine, I'll follow. But I absolutely think that what exists now should be preserved. Is there any way for the entire site to be encapsulated as a kind of offline resource that still operates like the site/forum (navigation, search features, etc.) would if it were still online? I think it's silly for a community that's all about preservation to let the "essence" of this place be lost for good. I don't know how much data we're talking but if it's at all reasonable to package I think a lot of people would appreciate that.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The majority has spoken: the forum will continue. However, I'll have to move it to my domain, [ http://www.nz17.com/ ], and host it from there so it won't disappear. I already have a message board I run over there that is mostly quiet. If you want to use that message board in addition to this one, especially during the transition, you are invited to do so.

I'll try to convert the DP forum as it is from vBulletin over to phpBB. That way, with phpBB being free, open-source software, we'll be sure to get security patches and upgrades at no cost.

Basically, all of the threads and posts will be preserved as well as the user accounts, passwords, preferences, etc. About the only things that won't be making the trip are the image attachments and some of the graphics from the site. Please feel free to download and preserve what you wish.

Does anyone have any recommendations of good themes/styles for phpBB you'd like me to consider adding to the new-old forum?

And speaking of which, should we alter the name? It would help to differentiate it while still keeping the spirit alive. I was thinking of naming it the, "Classic Video Game Discussion Forum." It might be generic, but a name like that would help a lot of people find the message board plus it would aid with avoiding confusion with Joe's Digital Press store in New Jersey.

%%%

I'm also working on creating a special download for all of you that includes the public threads and posts from the forum. It won't include the stylesheets, icons, profiles, member-only sub-forums, and other fancy stuff. It'll just be the text of the posts sorted into HTML threads, all collected into a few hundred megabytes download which you can browse from any computer to which you load it. That way you can browse "everything" from the past 15 years with your own archive of the forum.

Let me know what you think! Thanks.

Chaos Knight
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't suppose you have backups for the rest of the site, given it's now vanished for the moment? I was going to ask for a text dump of some of the online collector guides...

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Actually, I have copies of some of the site's databases and files that were stored at a different computer - just not everything. However, among those that I have is a copy of the Collector's Game Guide. I believe I'll place that online after I get the forum going again in full swing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The forum archive download sounds cool. Ditto on a backup of the rarity guide. It may be out of date in terms of current values and newer games, but the rarity guide was still an excellent resource I'd refer to now and then (the fact that I'd use it less often in recent years is more a matter of me cutting back on retro game collecting, rather than feeling like it's no longer useful; when I do add a US retro game to my collection, it'd be the first thing I'd check, if only to see the rarity score). I'd hate to see the rarity guide disappear.

As for the forum name, it's always been the Retrogaming Roundtable, even if the banner doesn't say that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

internet archives last snapshot is Aug 20'th
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170820...orum/index.php

The main site too, but the rarity guide doesn't work.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

give me gummies daddy

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    And speaking of which, should we alter the name? It would help to differentiate it while still keeping the spirit alive. I was thinking of naming it the, "Classic Video Game Discussion Forum." It might be generic, but a name like that would help a lot of people find the message board plus it would aid with avoiding confusion with Joe's Digital Press store in New Jersey.
    Generic in this case is probably best, but I might've called it "Un-D-Pressed." Because, you know, its not Digitpress, also we're not sad its leaving. CLARIFICATION (since I realized that last bit sounded wrong):... because, you know, if its got a backup/successor somewhere then it ISN'T leaving, pretty much.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 10-17-2017 at 02:55 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    I'm also working on creating a special download for all of you that includes the public threads and posts from the forum. It won't include the stylesheets, icons, profiles, member-only sub-forums, and other fancy stuff. It'll just be the text of the posts sorted into HTML threads, all collected into a few hundred megabytes download which you can browse from any computer to which you load it. That way you can browse "everything" from the past 15 years with your own archive of the forum.

Let me know what you think! Thanks.
    It's a good idea but I hope that everything could be included in a release at some point (site appearance, rarity guide, Off-Topic forum, etc.). If there's a reason that can't be done, c'est la vie. Just throwing it out there in case it is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post

give me gummies daddy
    Wat.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So did whoever owned the actual site just decide all these years of history aren't worth salvaging?

I abandoned this forum a while back, but seriously, that's bullshit. Do what you have to do to preserve the info here.

Edit: I just realized the main Digital Press store website doesn't even have forums anymore. Is there something else going on with the store we should be aware of?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This site has a lot of sentimental value for me.

When it came time to join my first forum I weighed my options and settled on Digital Press. It was my first and only home for years. I certainly miss all the action that used to be around here when I joined around 2007. But the site has really been on life support for the last several years.

There are some priceless posts and a lot of knowledge spread through these forums. I think the best thing would be to back up the forums and move them to a new domain. This way we can continue with what we have, but it would also be an excellent chance to "re-brand" or a "rebirth" of the forums and hopefully bring in some more traffic.

just my 2(bit) cents...
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god? Why else do bad things happen to good people?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It makes sense for the forum to live on with a different name. It's been disconnected from the DP store for a while now and even when it wasn't, it really was. Whether or not the forum can survive on its own is a different story...if members don't make the switch and all that. Though I certainly do hope it does survive. I took a break from the forums for a while for various reasons and was starting to stop in here a lot more...partly to do a 'very' small part in keeping it alive(though I usually can't think of anything useful to say), and it would be a shame to see it go.

As far as names go, I was also thinking it made sense to keep it "Retrogaming Roundtable" since that's what the forums are called anyways, right? Though that's a bit long winded for a domain name.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

hmm...

hmm...

well if its getting migrated to your hosting, NZ17, maybe jb143 is on the right track with a name change and slight remodel of the place if you go phpBB.

like changing it to say PS2 and earlier are classics...just sayin

It has been more active here lately maybe a slow rebranding might change things for the better, and with that the pre moved version could be archived

also as a side note, should we postpone secret santa until its resolved?