Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Main DP Sites are Temporarily Unavailable

Administrator

I believe Secret Santa should continue as scheduled. After all, it can be run outside of the forum via e-mail if need be.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar

A forum move and name change huh? That's unfortunate. Don't expect to see me there!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Wat.
    You heard me. I want some swedish fish.

Chaos Knight
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Actually, I have copies of some of the site's databases and files that were stored at a different computer - just not everything. However, among those that I have is a copy of the Collector's Game Guide. I believe I'll place that online after I get the forum going again in full swing.
    If you've got them, I wouldn't mind text dumps of the C64 and Vic-20 rarity guides, as I could use the (at the time) up to date information that I put in there and didn't keep locally.

Whatever is decided upon I'd hope an one shot email blast goes out to the registered accounts of every user so they know where to go and if their login/pass carried as well or if a new one/reissuing of one needs to be done too.

Screw the DP owner for doing this. Drop the name, drop the style, all of it in a managed roll out. Name first along with the software, then perhaps if warranted the color scheme too.

Icing would be to use the last archived copy of the actual site and pull the data from that and house that as well as a reference with the name of those people at DP removed since they showed no cares at all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) WulfeLuer's Avatar

I...I just found this site. I'm no babe in the grass, but I am pretty picky about where I go to yammer about video games. If the site has to die, but we can get it migrated somewhere else mostly intact, then we should go for it by all means. I'd follow it, especially if things at least stay a bit stable after the migration.

I need to say that we do need to be somewhat cautious about a new beginning. They are not bad, repeat not bad, especially if gets a fair bit of new traffic and support from the old guard. But I have seen a fair few redone sites (and I doubt I'm alone here) and we need to make sure we have all our ducks in a row, and further make sure that we don't use it as an excuse to splinter the user base into faction fights or push a personal agenda. Everybody and everything possible from the old site should be welcome (and invited) on the new site. There's a 40k trading site that I was very active on, that self-destructed (mostly because the site owner tried some sort of financial shenanigans, and at least one admin got sick of it and started a rebellion or something, lots of yelling not much clarity) and we wound up with two sites that pretended to be heirs of the old one but were really just gathering places to complain about the 'other guys,' don't know if either are active, mostly because I got sick of the war very quickly.

TL;DR: Let's salvage as much as we can and try a new site, but let's not be pricks about it either.
    Remember that this is the internet; the internet is where Inglish gos 2 dye.

Honestly, after seeing the decline of this site over the years, to the point I stopped coming here altogether, I think the honourable thing would be to just let the forum die. By all means, create a permanent read-only archive, I think that would be really nice. However, if you are going through the effort of converting this forum to another software (just remember how well that went down last time), and migrating it to a new domain with a new name, why not just start a completely brand new forum? It isn't like there is a huge demand to bring up old threads from over a decade ago. If people are eager to keep the remnant community going, starting a fresh forum will not be any different than spending a lot of time and effort converting this place.

The Retrogaming Roundtable was a great forum and I am very pleased to have been a part of it. I had a lot of good times here and met some great people. But sometime you have to just let things go and realize that the old times can't be brought back.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic

An archive of everything here would be great.

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar

I remember coming here from rec.games.video.classic a million years ago...was a fun place in its time...even though I haven't been here much, it'll be sad to see it go...
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

What's THIS? Feeble forums feverishly facing feckless fragmentation and ferocious foreclosure?

It's for the best, really. These were the first forums I ever joined, way back in 2002, but I have to admit that everything declined well over ten years ago. A database backup is good idea, though. The people of 2085 will need a reliable record of the Bio Force Ape hoax.

You're free to start a new forum, of course, but I think everything about this place can be found in more robust circles. If you want to gab about obscure and older games, the HG101 forums will do fine. If you want collecting lunacy, go to Nintendo Age. If you want to talk about modern stuff, every major forum from Something Awful to Reddit has plenty of discussion (and retro-game stuff, too). Digital Press just isn't necessary.

My advice is to start a forum about something nobody really covers: the underlying Illuminati agenda of the '80s cartoon The Blinkins.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Peach (Level 3)
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Goodwill Hunter View Post
    I remember coming here from rec.games.video.classic a million years ago...was a fun place in its time...even though I haven't been here much, it'll be sad to see it go...
    Funny you mention that, the death of Usenet was exactly why I finally made the jump to here. At that point I had read a lot of threads here but never bothered to register, but after rec.games.video.classic and rec.games.video.sega shriveled up and died I figured this place would be the next best thing.

It would be a real disservice to the community if all the posts on this forum were to disappear. There's a LOT of info that has been written here over the years. A Google search of pretty much any type of question about classic games or accessories often has a Retrogaming Roundtable topic as one of the top results. The activity has slowed down considerably over the years but I think that goes for about every forum I visit regularly. One thing I enjoy about this place is that the vast majority of game discussion is actually about playing games, whereas most other forums have devolved into only talking about buying games.

I'm sure having the main DP site offline negatively affects traffic but not sure to what degree. I know I had digitalpress.com/forums as my bookmark on a couple browsers, I wouldn't have know the forums were still up had I not had forum.digitpress.com as a bookmark on one of my mobile browsers.

Nz17, have you managed to hear anything from anyone?

I'm wondering about Joe's health. The videogame museum finally found a location (and happily it's in my area), and he's got his store to attend to, I just find it odd that Joe can't be communicated with either at the NJ store or through the museum in Texas. I remember that he had medical problems in the past. Now it makes me want to hit the museum too, just in case it fades away. Or even better, start checking the dumpsters behind the museum after it gets shuttered.

The store's, the museum's, and Joe's Facebook pages are all still active and nothing seems out of the ordinary, other than someone questioning where the site went.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Xbox LIVE
    YoshiDM
    PSN
    YoshiDM
    3DS Friend
    0860-4642-4923

I wouldn't mind a move and the forum live on, as long as it doesn't bog down Nz17's bandwidth/storage/cash flow/etc.

I've been coming here since who knows before 2003. Met some good folks, had good times. It's sad to see it dwindle in viewership but still those that come are good folk whose posts I like to read.

:: cues up Bruce Springsteen's "Glory Days" ::

Administrator

Default Site Notice for 2017-10-19

Update Time
    1. After two days, the server was starting to run out of space due to generating the "personal archive" copy of the forum so that had to be stopped. Even with only basic HTML, it was already at 6+ GB with no signs of being near complete. In conjunction with all of the other server files, there wouldn't even have been room left to compress what had been generated by that time.
    2. Later this month, I'll post instructions on how to generate your own copy of the forum if you want to spend the time and disk space.
    3. A long time ago I set the server to automatically generate backups of the forum's database. It makes a new backup every two weeks and it keeps the most recent two backups.
    4. Sadly, still I have not heard from Joe (the site's owner). I even tried calling him a few times on Sunday evening. I've seen no e-mails and I've heard no phone calls nor voice mail during this past week. From what little I know and can deduce, he is alive and well, and the people at the museum and the store are able to communicate with him with no problems. If anyone knows Joe personally, I invite you to communicate with him and try to find out what is happening. If you try, I'd like to know the results.
    5. While I don't know what Joe is thinking, I guess perhaps he figures he has a copy of the whole site including the forum, and that's good enough for him. I suppose he either wanted the non-forum parts of the site to disappear as he makes no money from them and they are on a separate hosting plan/provider which costs money in addition to the monthly cost of this server (with does generate a little money due to the forum); or perhaps he wanted the whole site to fade away without talking to people or having confrontations. That's all just speculation, I don't know any more than the rest of you.

Strategic Migration Plan for the Forum
    1. Find hosting. My site's hosting provider is insufficient to serve a site of this magnitude. I tried that in the past and it didn't work out too well. Therefore, I believe I will seek hosting from Google or Amazon using their "cloud services." A virtual machine running Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP which is hosted at Google Cloud or Amazon Web Services will run this site well. I'm not sure on the price yet.
    2. Raise funding. Sad yet true: I can't afford the transition of the site by myself. I'm thinking of either setting up a GoFundMe page for the total funds I'd have to seek (probably about $75), or I could use PayPal and just refund everyone if we don't make the funding goal by the end of October. The funding would be for cloud hosting and possibly a TLS certificate for HTTPS encryption if we can't use the free Let's Encrypt certificates for some reason.
    3. Revive the old site. Bring everything I have from DP back online at the new host.
    4. Set up automatic redirection from the old server to the new server to preserve links and bookmarks and "Google mojo" until the current host stops hosting.
    5. Once the site is up and running well for a while, I will separately work on the phpBB migration to avoid downtime for the forum. Only once everything is solidified with that project would things then transition over from the old software to the new software for the forum.

If you have any questions or comments, please post them.

what do you think about a name change and a bit narrower focus?

I can has MOAR DS? Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I just reached out on Facebook. He's not posted anything personally over the last week or so. It could be a number of things to be honest. He isn't currently at the museum (John is) and while he's at the store, he isn't necessarily there on a day to day basis running all the things, there are employees for that. He doesn't do the store's Facebook or Twitter (and Insta? I'm assuming there is an Insta page) posts and those are typically going up daily.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Ghostbuster

I won't speak for Joe unless he asks me to. From a technical standpoint, 6GB (or more) is just crazy. Is anything being purged? Even if Joe could, I'm not sure HOW he'd obtain the DB as he may not have physical access to the server either, but the site IS being backed up offline by the host.
    Last edited by Greg2600; 10-20-2017 at 11:20 AM.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris View Post
    The people of 2085 will need a reliable record of the Bio Force Ape hoax.
    Photobucket already ruined that thread...
    https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?71891

...along with the rest of the internet where they were used as image hosting.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Long shot but do you think he would be getting something ready for the Portland gaming expo this weekend?
    I gather its completely across the country but maybe they are doing some museum thing for it
    I'd keep an eye out but I don't know what he looks like

Ghostbuster

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    Long shot but do you think he would be getting something ready for the Portland gaming expo this weekend?
    I gather its completely across the country but maybe they are doing some museum thing for it
    I'd keep an eye out but I don't know what he looks like
    This has come up many times. Joe is fine paying the hosting fees but that's it. He no longer visits the site or the forum, so beyond that what should be required of him? The site went down temporarily. Nothing was lost. Nz17 made this assumption that Joe could vanish at any moment, and this would end the site. He decided now is the time to futureproof the forum, which is perfectly understandable. It's a bit unclear what Joe is needed for ASAP? He has nothing to do with the administration of the site beyond paying the bills.

IF the forum's content, accounts, etc, can truly be moved that seamlessly to another platform that is cheaper and more dynamic, by all means go ahead. My suggestion would be to retain the DNS digitpress.com designation, for Googling sake, but whatever. I personally favor the current Red/Black theme, as it's unique to most sites I visit, and easy to read. Title wise maybe just refer to it as "Retrogaming Roundtable."

I too would love to see the rest of the old site returned in some fashion, in an archived format. Would it be possible to restore the old site as digitpress.com on the current host, and move the message board away to another host? Even if that means changing the HTTP address. That way the site, which would have minimal traffic in complete archive form, could continue on, while the forum continues on with a new and improved backbone.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Administrator

Executive summary
    Everything is now back to normal. All of the site's sections are available and accessible. This includes the forum and the other sections of the site. Joe, the store, and the museum are good too.

Timeline breakdown
    • Aug - Oct: Joe, the site's owner, accidentally doesn't pay the bill for this site's hosting to its Web host, DreamHost.
    • Oct 10: Everything hosted by DreamHost "disappears" due to non-payment. The forum is hosted at DigitalOcean so it continues. (Everything DP can't be stored at DigitalOcean due to file size concerns with the hosting plan.)
    • Oct 12: I, the site's admin, notice the missing parts of the site and write an e-mail to Joe. I also write about what's happening on the forum.
    • Oct 13: Still not having heard from Joe, I call his phone number. The number is disconnected. I call the museum. I talk to John Hardie. I explain. He takes a note to convey to Joe. I ask for Joe's phone number. I am given a dummy phone number meant for solicitors, yet I don't know that's what it is at the time. I call the dummy number and it endless rings with no answer. Meanwhile, Joe gets the message from John about the site's situation. At this time, I am talking with one of the store's employees who says she will also convey my memo to Joe. Joe attempts to send a text message to my phone number - however, it is a number that doesn't have text messaging service as it is a "regular phone number," so the message silently disappears into the void. Joe pays a DreamHost bill that is for another Web site of his (not the digitpress.com group) and presumes that the situation is resolved as he doesn't hear from me afterward.
    • Oct 15: Still not having heard from Joe, I call the dummy number 2 - 3 times throughout the day. Concerned, I make a post about the situation here at the forum.
    • Oct 19: The store's employee(s), having a meeting with Joe (over the phone I guess), mention the "sites are missing" situation.
    • Oct 19/20: Joe, having spoken with PapaStu (a longtime mod here), delves back into his records, and realizes that there is another DreamHost account to pay (the digitpress.com one). He pays the bill. The non-forum site sections are restored to the Internet.
    • Oct 20: Joe writes an e-mail to me in the morning, explaining some things from his side. He gives a current cell phone number in the message. I call and we discuss things further. Everything is smoothed.

What now?
    For now, things go back to normal. Though I have some backup copies, I am going to make additional, more recent copies and of everything both recent and old. I have a slow Internet connection, so I'll first make an off-site backup of these servers to my server, then copy that to my local computer. Later, I'll still research migrating an offline copy of this forum from vBulletin to phpBB... you know, Just-in-Case(TM).

Jessica's Knight / SOFEL Fanboy InsaneDavid's Avatar

Nz17, thank you for being transparent as possible concerning this right now and for attempting to save (and share) as much of the years of content here as possible when you assumed it was going away.

For what it's worth, I will follow what's left of the forum community wherever it leads - Digital Press' online presence died a long time ago. Forums are a discussion among a collection of people, not a name or URL.
    Contributing Writer, Retrogaming Times Monthly 2004 - 2013
    Chief Editor, The Retrogaming Times 2016 - Present *NEW RETROGAMING HOBBYIST NEWSLETTER!*

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    This has come up many times. Joe is fine paying the hosting fees but that's it. He no longer visits the site or the forum, so beyond that what should be required of him? The site went down temporarily. Nothing was lost. Nz17 made this assumption that Joe could vanish at any moment, and this would end the site. He decided now is the time to futureproof the forum, which is perfectly understandable. It's a bit unclear what Joe is needed for ASAP? He has nothing to do with the administration of the site beyond paying the bills.

IF the forum's content, accounts, etc, can truly be moved that seamlessly to another platform that is cheaper and more dynamic, by all means go ahead. My suggestion would be to retain the DNS digitpress.com designation, for Googling sake, but whatever. I personally favor the current Red/Black theme, as it's unique to most sites I visit, and easy to read. Title wise maybe just refer to it as "Retrogaming Roundtable."

I too would love to see the rest of the old site returned in some fashion, in an archived format. Would it be possible to restore the old site as digitpress.com on the current host, and move the message board away to another host? Even if that means changing the HTTP address. That way the site, which would have minimal traffic in complete archive form, could continue on, while the forum continues on with a new and improved backbone.
    Was just trying to help.

Anyway...

There is a exhibition here from the museum and they held a panel. I didn't attend.

Glad you got things figured out NZ

Administrator

Thanks, guys.

Good to know all your hard work is known well enough to give you a fake contact number.

Nice job though.