Thread: Retro Game Treasure

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Retro Game Treasure

Anyone here try this? It starts at $30/month. It sounds fun!

The Classic Video Game Subscription Box!

Retro Game Treasure is a monthly subscription service. Every month you’ll get a selection of games for the retro consoles you select with ONLY the types of games you like and NO Duplicate games! A treasure chest contains 3-5 Retro Games inside for you to keep!

Easy to order

Select the kind of games you like

Always on time

We Ship on or before the 22nd of every Month

Fits any budget

Start or Build your Retro Collection on a Budget!

No Duplicates!

Submit your Current collection, let us help fill the gaps!

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i'm waiting for my pusheen box!

https://pusheenbox.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I don't need a Pusheen subscription service, as I've discovered there's plenty of places around me with Pusheen merch. Usually overpriced merch, but still. I finally went into a Japanese bookstore I've driven past but never ventured into called Kinokuniya, and the place is filled with Pusheen stuff. Cool place, price tags that'll make your eyes bleed.

I like the idea of a mystery video game subscription service, but I know I would get crap. I don't collect Nintendo games or consoles to any real degree and don't care very much for mainstream post-crash consoles. Services like this one only do commons, they won't be sending me cartridges for the Astrocade, the Atari XEGS, or the Colecovision. They'll just ship me a box full of crappy Gameboy titles nobody wanted in the first place. I don't want a box of disappointment every month and knowing I'm coughing up $50 a month for it.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I like the idea of a mystery video game subscription service, but I know I would get crap. I don't collect Nintendo games or consoles to any real degree and don't care very much for mainstream post-crash consoles. Services like this one only do commons, they won't be sending me cartridges for the Astrocade, the Atari XEGS, or the Colecovision. They'll just ship me a box full of crappy Gameboy titles nobody wanted in the first place. I don't want a box of disappointment every month and knowing I'm coughing up $50 a month for it.
    http://www.retrogametreasure.com/ is only $30/month, and you tell it which games you want that you don't have yet so that you only get what you want. Basically, you send them a copy of your list and they pick random entries to send to you so you only get the ones you are seeking and it's a surprise which ones are arriving this month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

So, in essence it's like sort of CCG/CMG 'boosters' for console games, but based off a wish list? Can you ask for genres instead of specific games? I'm sure it's no secret, but there's plenty of stuff off the beaten path out there that could be very welcome, common or not.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
    Can you ask for genres instead of specific games?
    I'm not really too sure. I've never subscribed to the service. I'd like to know!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've watched "unboxing" videos on you tube of people who subscribe to this service. From what I saw, I would personally be disappointed in the games they got sent. It almost didn't seem like they cared very much about the value of the games. You won't get sports games unless you ask for them. You also won't get Earthbound if you want SNES rpgs (as far as I'm aware). This service may appeal to some people, but I personally could take that $30 to a flea market and most likely find common games I'd enjoy a little more. I'd like to stress that this is just my opinion, but if you are interested in this service, check out some unboxing videos.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was interested in one of these services, RGT or Video Games Monthly but from what I've saw on youtube RGT seems to be a really poor value with mostly really common $5 games and barely anything worth even $10, given the cost is roughly $10 a game I dunno how they're keeping subscriptions. It really just seems like a game store using a creative way to get rid of it's cheap inventory that doesn't sell. VGM seems to at least offer close to your monies worth in games and even over at times so I'm going to try them for a few months because I think it's a really good concept & as long as I'm at least getting my monies worth and games I'll actually pay I'll probably continue it, I figure it could save me money because I'll be less likely to buy games if I know I already have some coming.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drunk3nj3sus View Post
    Video Games Monthly seems to at least offer close to your monies worth in games and even over at times so I'm going to try them for a few months because I think it's a really good concept & as long as I'm at least getting my monies worth and games I'll actually pay I'll probably continue it, I figure it could save me money because I'll be less likely to buy games if I know I already have some coming.
    Is this the one? http://videogamesmonthly.com/

Let us know how it is, please!

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

One year later, have any of you tried or continued to try one of these types of service?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    One year later, have any of you tried or continued to try one of these types of service?
    I was tempted to at one point but it sounds like it's mostly junk titles. Maybe an easy way to fill out a collection of loose games but beyond that, no real point

Insert Coin (Level 0) 123►Genei-Jin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with mailman187666 and drunk3nj3sus. I'm sure I can get much better games for those same $30 or would rather just save the money and spend it on something else.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    New game store opened up near me that's typically cheaper than ebay so I managed to pick up most of the common games I was interested in there, games I still want are usually $30 or over so I don't really have any interest in these services any more, have too many games I haven't got to as is