Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default GameStop's Rental Program, "PowerPass"

GameStop PowerPass is a program launching November 19 that lets one play as many used games as one wants for six months. For $60, one can pick up any used game and return to the store to exchange it for a different one as often as one prefers for a period of six months. At the conclusion, one can choose any used game to keep. PowerPass can also be bought as a gift, though the recipient will need to have a (free) PowerUp Rewards account already. I believe this only applies to the brick-and-mortar stores and (though I don't know for sure) one might need to keep returning to the same store. More details will be available soon, I'm certain.

Source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ga.../1100-6454493/

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

When the rental service has almost ended, rent a $55 title or a Nintendo title for the resale value. This might end up only costing $20-$40 overall after your six month period has ended.

I'm not fond of Gamestop but I'll be giving it a shot. New games won't be available for atleast a couple weeks to a month after release, but since I usually wait until most AAA games drop in price or get a GotY version until I purchase them, then this will allow me to play them before that time. Sure, there's always Gamefly, but Gamefly is also $16 per month and you don't get anything at the end. Any money I save by not purchasing a game I don't like by using Gamefly as a service, I've already put back into using Gamefly and then some.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lovely, Gamestop already has problems of so many used game scratched discs. This will be made worse thru the rental market by customers who do not care. I suppose this a reaction to the increased competition market of download games.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Lovely, Gamestop already has problems of so many used game scratched discs. This will be made worse thru the rental market by customers who do not care. I suppose this a reaction to the increased competition market of download games.
    They've made a statement that if the game is damaged you'd be charged for the game. I'm not sure how much damage is considered damaged, but at least that's going to be brought up in the rental process and likely keep people from mistreating games. I will state though that games seem to generally be in better condition than they were 20 years ago. People seem to take a lot better care of their games, including ones they trade in, something I thought would have gotten worse seeing as how gaming has become much more popular.

I can say I've never seen anything on any recent system in close to as bad of a condition as I've seen used PS1, PS2, and Gamecube games. The other disc based consoles I just haven't seen very many used games, or every one I've seen has been in good condition.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-04-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    They've made a statement that if the game is damaged you'd be charged for the game. I'm not sure how much damage is considered damaged, but at least that's going to be brought up in the rental process and likely keep people from mistreating games. I will state though that games seem to generally be in better condition than they were 20 years ago. People seem to take a lot better care of their games, including ones they trade in, something I thought would have gotten worse seeing as how gaming has become much more popular.

I can say I've never seen anything on any recent system in close to as bad of a condition as I've seen used PS1, PS2, and Gamecube games. The other disc based consoles I just haven't seen very many used games, or every one I've seen has been in good condition.
    I think they've just gotten pickier over what they take as trade-ins now. Too many people like me who won't buy their scratched up shit and who cares if the scratched disc has a return period if they don't have another one in stock.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

60$ seems like alot... its an interesting idea but I kinda feel like 60 bucks is too expensive.
    Basically its 2.50$ per game if you rent one per week, before travel costs.
    Might seem like a good deal but most people would probably use the subscription only a few times.
    Plus if you find a game you really like you will probably want to spend more than a week playing it. In otder to really get your moneys' worth you would have to rent alot of games..

Also, just something kinda sleazy about a company renting out their merchandise.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    GameStop PowerPass is a program launching November 19 that lets one play as many used games as one wants for six months. For $60, one can pick up any used game and return to the store to exchange it for a different one as often as one prefers for a period of six months. At the conclusion, one can choose any used game to keep. PowerPass can also be bought as a gift, though the recipient will need to have a (free) PowerUp Rewards account already. I believe this only applies to the brick-and-mortar stores and (though I don't know for sure) one might need to keep returning to the same store. More details will be available soon, I'm certain.

Source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ga.../1100-6454493/
    That sounds like a pretty good deal, something I never thought I would say involving GameStop. It kind of pales in comparison to things like EA Access put its step in the right direction.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaringDirk View Post
    It kind of pales in comparison to things like EA Access put its step in the right direction.
    In a way that's true. However, with the PowerPass program, people would procure physical product.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's true, and if they stay with the "any used game" at the end of the 6 month period then you could end up getting a special/limited edition. I have gotten a couple of them from GameStop that even have the codes for weapon skins still unused.